2008 Harlan County

This is a little off topic, but I wonder if any of the good athletes from Cawood, Evarts, or Cumberland will go to Harlan independent instead of going to Harlan County?

Don't think so because who would want to sit out a year. Harlan County high has to much to offer. The only problem is these kids will have to work to earn a spot on the field, court or whatever and the last I checked a little hard work is a good thing. Kids will have to make a choice if they want to be on a winner or just be the stuff on a team. Lets take basketball for example, Harlan city will have to beat Harlan Co, Bell Co and Middlesboro to get into the region. Not taking anything away from Harlan but that shouldn't happen very often. If it does they need to find a new coach for Bell and Harlan Co along with Middlesboro. Baseball is going to be the same way. Athletes usually play more than just football so they must take that into consideration. JMHO but it could play out a number of different ways. However, if a good athlete is wanting to score 50 a game or carry the ball 30 times a game it might happen but again they are more concerned with the individual than the team and Harlan Co would be better off without them. Just the way I see the big picture but who knows how kids think today.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little off topic, but I wonder if any of the good athletes from Cawood, Evarts, or Cumberland will go to Harlan independent instead of going to Harlan County?

Just another view. Don't Bell now get the best athletes from Pineville. It does work both ways. I am aware that this isn't going to be a cake walk but after a few bumps in the road Harlan County will be something special and kids want to be a part of something special. Go BLACK BEARS!

Don't think so because who would want to sit out a year. Harlan County high has to much to offer. The only problem is these kids will have to work to earn a spot on the field, court or whatever and the last I checked a little hard work is a good thing. Kids will have to make a choice if they want to be on a winner or just be the stuff on a team. Lets take basketball for example, Harlan city will have to beat Harlan Co, Bell Co and Middlesboro to get into the region. Not taking anything away from Harlan but that shouldn't happen very often. If it does they need to find a new coach for Bell and Harlan Co along with Middlesboro. Baseball is going to be the same way. Athletes usually play more than just football so they must take that into consideration. JMHO but it could play out a number of different ways. However, if a good athlete is wanting to score 50 a game or carry the ball 30 times a game it might happen but again they are more concerned with the individual than the team and Harlan Co would be better off without them. Just the way I see the big picture but who knows how kids think today.

The only difference is how much easier Harlan Indepenents path is to deep in the playoffs in 1A football is compared to what Harlan County will be facing.

I'd much rather have to worry about regions with Hazard, Pikeville, Williamsburg, LCA, Campbellsville... rather than a regions with Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Somerset, Breathitt County, Mason County and Russell... and once Harlan move sup to 5A then you throw even stiffer competition.

The only difference is how much easier Harlan Indepenents path is to deep in the playoffs in 1A football is compared to what Harlan County will be facing.

I'd much rather have to worry about regions with Hazard, Pikeville, Williamsburg, LCA, Campbellsville... rather than a regions with Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Somerset, Breathitt County, Mason County and Russell... and once Harlan move sup to 5A then you throw even stiffer competition.

But you don't have to play everyone that is listed. If Harlan and Breathitt get 1 and 2 seeds in any order then they wouldn't have to square off again till the Region. Then Belfry in the semi's if they make it. A high school kid isn't going to compare the teams they have to play in the playoffs when deciding where to play. They would be more reluctant to decide that based on where their g/f went to school.:lol: Harlan County is preparing themselves to beat the best so it doesn't matter who they play. Everything is being done first rate for the kids there and they will be taken care of.

Kids who transfer will not even get to worry about that problem anyway because it is only a one year deal to play in that 3A district so by the time they become eligible they will already be playing in 5A. Not too mention that AAAAA district is good for Harlan County. North Laurel, Clay County, Whitley County, Letcher Central and Perry Central is something like 0-21 in the past 10-15 years against Coach Larkey. Then Coach Larkey is also 5-1 against NKY competition so it isn't that frightening.

Trust me, with Larkey as the Coach and the support of the County Harlan County High will be something special. Harlan Ind. who?

Just another view. Don't Bell now get the best athletes from Pineville. It does work both ways. I am aware that this isn't going to be a cake walk but after a few bumps in the road Harlan County will be something special and kids want to be a part of something special. Go BLACK BEARS!

Not in general. I couldn't tell you the last time the best athlete was from Pineville. There is a couple of sophomores to be who came from Pineville in elementary school who will be great players, but I wouldn't call them the best athletes yet.

I wonder, if a kid who goes to say one of the 3 high schools that closed lives closer to Harlan City than Harlan Co. would they have to sit out a year to go to Harlan City schools? I don't know anything about the geography of where the new school is at, but was just wondering.

Also, it would seem to make sense to me occasionallys ome kids would rather go to Harlan independent because of playing time in sports if they aren't the top dog so to speak at Harlan Co.

Not in general. I couldn't tell you the last time the best athlete was from Pineville. There is a couple of sophomores to be who came from Pineville in elementary school who will be great players, but I wouldn't call them the best athletes yet.

You misunderstood me I think. I wasn't meaning the best athlete for Bell High coming from Pineville but that Bell High gets more of the better athletes that pineville has to offer than the other way around. Bell has something special and kids just want to be a part of that with Hilton and all. Well, that is exactly my point. Harlan County has one of the greatest high school coaches and has the support and the ole saying goes "build it they will come". That is why I feel Harlan County will be just fine. JMHO. GO BLACKBEARS!

I wonder, if a kid who goes to say one of the 3 high schools that closed lives closer to Harlan City than Harlan Co. would they have to sit out a year to go to Harlan City schools? I don't know anything about the geography of where the new school is at, but was just wondering.

Also, it would seem to make sense to me occasionallys ome kids would rather go to Harlan independent because of playing time in sports if they aren't the top dog so to speak at Harlan Co.

You could be right but I don't see anybody not wanting to come play for Larkey and Jones at Harlan County High. If the hiring would have been different I might have been concerned but I don't think it could of worked out any better.:dancingpa

You misunderstood me I think. I wasn't meaning the best athlete for Bell High coming from Pineville but that Bell High gets more of the better athletes that pineville has to offer than the other way around. Bell has something special and kids just want to be a part of that with Hilton and all. Well, that is exactly my point. Harlan County has one of the greatest high school coaches and has the support and the ole saying goes "build it they will come". That is why I feel Harlan County will be just fine. JMHO. GO BLACKBEARS!

Okay I understand now. I think Harlan Co. is probably on the verge of something special and good for them and I am by no means taking any shots at them. I was just wondering if this might also strengthen Harlan Independent a bit without even affecting Harlan Co.

Okay I understand now. I think Harlan Co. is probably on the verge of something special and good for them and I am by no means taking any shots at them. I was just wondering if this might also strengthen Harlan Independent a bit without even affecting Harlan Co.

Thanks, we are really excited about our future. As for the Ind. question, you must keep in mind that Cumberland, Cawood and Evarts has always been like Bell High and Middlesboro are or maybe even worse. Now you Have Harlan County all rolled up into one and I don't think the outlook is going to change towards the City. I don't know I guess we will see? Go Black Bears!

When looking at who Harlen plays aginst next year, it looks like they are going to be in 2A not 3A. I didnt see Breathitt or anyone from 3A.

I'm assuming you were looking at Harlan Independent's schedule. Harlan County is in the same district with Breathitt. Below is their schedule. It currently only has nine games; they are shopping for a tenth.

Aug. 29 - OPEN

Sept. 5 - @Lynn Camp

Sept. 13 - @Fleming County*

Sept. 19 - @Lee County (Virginia)

Sept. 26 - Breathitt County*

Oct. 3 - OPEN

Oct. 10 - @Powell County*

Oct. 17 - Middlesboro

Oct. 24 - Estill County*

Nov. 1 - @Grayson County (Virginia)

Nov. 7 - @Somerset