2008 Harlan County

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What eaglenation is saying, is by combining two A schools and one AAA school does not mean that you will be winning by default. Belfry has decades of tradition to build on great feeder system and a stadium that is second to none. HC at this point in time has none of these, but should they successful? Yes they should but to crown them with titles before one game is played is a bit over the top. And Lungbuster before you write off Harlan Ind. remember that they have more overall success and tradition than all of the other county schools combined, there is one thing that has remained a constant through out the last 70-80 years while other schools in Harlan county come and go Harlan High School still stands today. So remember when you are talking smack you can be smacked back.

Could Dragonpappy live on Bayshore Drive? lol :banana:

I'd love seeing them knock off Breathitt in the playoffs.... :D

I would love that also, but they have a long way to go before they can think about that. A lot of bumps in the road and Breathitt has an outstanding team and again one of the better coaches in the game. It will be interesting.

We have crossed wires here.... ;)

The only reason I brought up Belfry was because Eaglenation was pointing his comment about Harlan County towards me assuming I was a Harlan County fan.

No, I got involved when you used Campbellsville High School in context to being easier. It is all relative. But I assure you, Campbellsville is no easy win in Class A, just like Belfry, Mason, Russell and Breathitt are not easy wins in their respective class. I am saying it is all relative.

And Lungbuster before you write off Harlan Ind. remember that they have more overall success and tradition than all of the other county schools combined

In football?

Lynch would have to be first, if you're looking at all-time records with three state championships and three runner-up finishes. Cumberland would probably be second with three state runner-up finishes in the 1980s and some good teams in the 60s and 90s.

And Lungbuster before you write off Harlan Ind. remember that they have more overall success and tradition than all of the other county schools combined...

Harlan has been to the playoffs 14 times in their history, with 6 wins all-time (Williamsburg, 1979; Phelps, 1996; South Floyd & Lynn Camp, 1999; Paintsville, 2004; Williamsburg, 2006).

Twice regional runner-up, in 1979 and 1999. In twenty games they've been shut out four times and held to a touchdown in three other games. Nine times they've given up more than 30 points in the playoffs. Never have beaten Hazard (0-2) or Pikeville (0-7) in the postseason.

On the other hand, Cumberland has won 21 playoff games and three times was state runner-up.

Harlan has been to the playoffs 14 times in their history, with 6 wins all-time (Williamsburg, 1979; Phelps, 1996; South Floyd & Lynn Camp, 1999; Paintsville, 2004; Williamsburg, 2006).

Twice regional runner-up, in 1979 and 1999. In twenty games they've been shut out four times and held to a touchdown in three other games. Nine times they've given up more than 30 points in the playoffs. Never have beaten Hazard (0-2) or Pikeville (0-7) in the postseason.

On the other hand, Cumberland has won 21 playoff games and three times was state runner-up.

Nice stats. Does anyone have similar stats on Cawood's playoff record?

Let's get this thread back on track...

I like HC to open triumphantly with wins at Lynn Camp and Fleming Co., but a third straight road game at Lee Co. will be too tough. They will then be very competitive in an emotional home-opening loss to Breathitt before a huge crowd as Larkey is still working out some kinks.

At 2-2, HC splits with Powell (win) and Middlesboro (high-scoring OT loss) to make it 3-3. At that point though, HC hits its stride and takes Estill, Grayson and Somerset to close at 6-3 on a 3 game winning streak heading to the playoffs.

Keeping in mind I have no idea what most of these teams have, that's my discussion starter. What do you say HDE?

I like HC to open triumphantly with wins at Lynn Camp and Fleming Co., but a third straight road game at Lee Co. will be too tough. They will then be very competitive in an emotional home-opening loss to Breathitt before a huge crowd as Larkey is still working out some kinks.

At 2-2, HC splits with Powell (win) and Middlesboro (high-scoring OT loss) to make it 3-3. At that point though, HC hits its stride and takes Estill, Grayson and Somerset to close at 6-3 on a 3 game winning streak heading to the playoffs.

Keeping in mind I have no idea what most of these teams have, that's my discussion starter. What do you say HDE?

Breathitt Co. should be rated in the top 5 of class 3A next season and Estill Co. returns all three RB's.

Should have been a little more clear as to what I was saying, overall (in all sports) Harlan has had more success. In football Lynch stands alone then Cumberland with Harlan, Cawood, and Evarts bringing up the rear. For the last couple of years Lungbuster has made numerous statements that have a backhanded remark when it comes to Harlan Ind. and I just wanted to remind him that Harlan has been around for a long time and have had quite a bit of tradition to pull from.

Should have been a little more clear as to what I was saying, overall (in all sports) Harlan has had more success. In football Lynch stands alone then Cumberland with Harlan, Cawood, and Evarts bringing up the rear. For the last couple of years Lungbuster has made numerous statements that have a backhanded remark when it comes to Harlan Ind. and I just wanted to remind him that Harlan has been around for a long time and have had quite a bit of tradition to pull from.

As of 5-23-08 Lungbuster will NO MORE remark about Harlan ( positive or negative).

I think HCHS will get Middlesboro. Just a guess but I have a good feeling about that one.