2008 Harlan County

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch would have to be first, if you're looking at all-time records with three state championships and three runner-up finishes. Cumberland would probably be second with three state runner-up finishes in the 1980s and some good teams in the 60s and 90s.

Lynch is still a living legend. The legends lives on. Just leave Harlan and mention Lynch. Everyone has heard or still knows about them.

Lynch would have to be first, if you're looking at all-time records with three state championships and three runner-up finishes. Cumberland would probably be second with three state runner-up finishes in the 1980s and some good teams in the 60s and 90s.

Outstanding work in today's paper about the tradition of the three high schools. Really enjoyed reading it. :thumb:

Edited by bugatti
All caps.

As of 5-23-08 Lungbuster will NO MORE remark about Harlan ( positive or negative).

That shouldn't be...your comments about are usually entertaining and always spark conversation. Your debates with Pappy and now Bayshore are fun to read. Please continue.

Should have been a little more clear as to what I was saying, overall (in all sports) Harlan has had more success. In football Lynch stands alone then Cumberland with Harlan, Cawood, and Evarts bringing up the rear. For the last couple of years Lungbuster has made numerous statements that have a backhanded remark when it comes to Harlan Ind. and I just wanted to remind him that Harlan has been around for a long time and have had quite a bit of tradition to pull from.

It's hard to compare Harlan and Cawood in football since they are in different classes and didn't play for a quarter century when Cawood had one of the top programs in the mountains.

Evarts and Harlan have both had some very good teams and very bad teams through the years in football. Evarts had the deepest run in the playoffs.

Harlan had tremendous teams in boys basketball in the 40s, 60s and 90s. Harlan has also had the best track program, except for Bob Howard's run at Evarts.

Cumberland has had the dominant baseball program in the area over the last 25 years. Cumberland and Cawood took turns dominating in girls basketball, with the exception of Harlan's five-year run in the 1990s.

Outstanding work in today's paper about the tradition of the three high schools. Really enjoyed reading it. :thumb:

Thanks.

I'm just worried about the ones I forgot, which you always do with something like that. About 70 percent of them were locks, but there were some very tough calls in some positions.

Edited by bugatti

It's hard to compare Harlan and Cawood in football since they are in different classes and didn't play for a quarter century when Cawood had one of the top programs in the mountains.

Evarts and Harlan have both had some very good teams and very bad teams through the years in football. Evarts had the deepest run in the playoffs.

Harlan had tremendous teams in boys basketball in the 40s, 60s and 90s. Harlan has also had the best track program, except for Bob Howard's run at Evarts.

Cumberland has had the dominant baseball program in the area over the last 25 years. Cumberland and Cawood took turns dominating in girls basketball, with the exception of Harlan's five-year run in the 1990s.

Using HDE's comment to rank them, this is what you might have:

Football

Cumberland (4)

Cawood (3) - played in higher class

Harlan/Evarts (2)

Boys Basketball

Harlan (4)

Cumberland (3) - went to Sweet 16

Cawood (2)

Evarts (1)

Girls Basketball

Cumberland/Cawood (4)

Harlan (2)

Evarts (1)

Baseball

Cumberland (4)

Cawood/Harlan (3)

Evarts (1)

Track

Harlan (4)

Evarts (3)

Cumberland (2)

Cawood (1)

TOTALS

Cumberland (17)

Harlan (15)

Cawood (13)

Evarts (8)

If you give me volleyball, softball, golf, tennis and cross country, we can add them in also.

Say it ain't so LB! And where in the world is Bayshore Drive,,,,,?

PapDaddy, I was wondering were in the world you have been? I've not seen you post in awhile. Thought you might of left town, went left instead of right at the Pineville bridge and figured you were lost. I was starting to get worried about you. Looks like you have a companion down on Bayshore Drive?

Thanks.

I'm just worried about the ones I forgot, which you always do with something like that. About 70 percent of them were locks, but there were some very tough calls in some positions.

I think most people understand that! I realize how hard that would be and think you did a very good job. We are lucky to have the kind of coverage we get in Harlan County. Can't wait till after the first game to read the write up on the Black Bears. And just think you are a County Grad. lol

That shouldn't be...your comments about are usually entertaining and always spark conversation. Your debates with Pappy and now Bayshore are fun to read. Please continue.

But I am starting to get a complex. You see, I have very thin skin. lol

Using HDE's comment to rank them, this is what you might have:

Football

Cumberland (4)

Cawood (3) - played in higher class

Harlan/Evarts (2)

Boys Basketball

Harlan (4)

Cumberland (3) - went to Sweet 16

Cawood (2)

Evarts (1)

Girls Basketball

Cumberland/Cawood (4)

Harlan (2)

Evarts (1)

Baseball

Cumberland (4)

Cawood/Harlan (3)

Evarts (1)

Track

Harlan (4)

Evarts (3)

Cumberland (2)

Cawood (1)

TOTALS

Cumberland (17)

Harlan (15)

Cawood (13)

Evarts (8)

If you give me volleyball, softball, golf, tennis and cross country, we can add them in also.

Interesting breakdown. You are in the wrong business for your talents.

The minor sports would be impossible to figure because everyone doesn't offer them.

I'd give Cawood the edge over Cumberland in boys basketball. There's a lot to be said for winning a regional championship, but I don't know how you'd balance it out with eight or nine losing seasons in a row. Cawood won over 20 in a row over Cumberland from 1997 to 2006, including three of three the year Cumberland won the regional.

Cawood and Harlan may both deserve a 2 compared to Cumberland's 4 in baseball though.

Interesting breakdown. You are in the wrong business for your talents.

The minor sports would be impossible to figure because everyone doesn't offer them.

I'd give Cawood the edge over Cumberland in boys basketball. There's a lot to be said for winning a regional championship, but I don't know how you'd balance it out with eight or nine losing seasons in a row. Cawood won over 20 in a row over Cumberland from 1997 to 2006, including three of three the year Cumberland won the regional.

Cawood and Harlan may both deserve a 2 compared to Cumberland's 4 in baseball though.

This would make an interesting column for the sports page..."Greatest Sports Tradition" in the county's history. You could break it down to include high schools like Rosenwald, Lynch, Benham, Wallins, Loyall, Hall etc or you could just keep it to the modern era (post-Cawood consolidation).

Harlan would probably want you to include CATS rankings as a category.:lol:

I see a 7-2 record, wins Lynn Camp, Fleming Co, Powell Co, Middlesboro, Grayson VA, Estill Co, and Somerset. Losses Lee Co and Breathitt Co, first round home playoff game should be a win and anything futher has to be considered gravy for a first year squad. So I am thinking 7-2 regular season, and 8-3 or maybe 9-3 after the postseason which could get the Bears rolling when they make the move up to 5A.