2008 Harlan County

I guess a "serious" athlete "could" be one that is serious about school too. HC is unproven. The good folks think that the new facility will make a diff. academically. Well HHS is proven. I don't agree with the recent site based decisions on hold backs, but even with that, I'd rather have my athlete at HHS for academics. A serious athlete doesn't mean play for the "biggest" school, or even the one that wins the most. So sorry youth coach, for a rare time, I disagree 100%.

I agree 100%. :thumb:

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% Bayshore.

What eaglenation is saying, is by combining two A schools and one AAA school does not mean that you will be winning by default. Belfry has decades of tradition to build on great feeder system and a stadium that is second to none. HC at this point in time has none of these, but should they successful? Yes they should but to crown them with titles before one game is played is a bit over the top. And Lungbuster before you write off Harlan Ind. remember that they have more overall success and tradition than all of the other county schools combined, there is one thing that has remained a constant through out the last 70-80 years while other schools in Harlan county come and go Harlan High School still stands today. So remember when you are talking smack you can be smacked back.

? maybe an education?

I feel like I just woke from a dream. I never recall saying anything against Belfry. Belfry has an outstanding program and one of the most respected coaches in the game. I never recall crowning Harlan County High with any titles. I am just excited about Harlan County High School and the opportunity it brings to the kids of the county. To be Honest I don't care anything about Harlan City. If they win it all ( good for them). It they lose them all, it really has no bearing on myself. The only reason I mentioned Harlan City was because a question was ask by Log Mnt. about transfers. I simply stated that I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to the city with what the county has to offer. I stick with that statement because thats my opinion.:thumb:

I guess a "serious" athlete "could" be one that is serious about school too. HC is unproven. The good folks think that the new facility will make a diff. academically. Well HHS is proven. I don't agree with the recent site based decisions on hold backs, but even with that, I'd rather have my athlete at HHS for academics. A serious athlete doesn't mean play for the "biggest" school, or even the one that wins the most. So sorry youth coach, for a rare time, I disagree 100%.

I was only addressing the quality of the basketball gym and the new coaches and whether or not a kid that had sports as a high priority at HC would want to leave that for HHS to sit a year and pay tuition. I did not intend a message on overall school choice or whether a kid like yours at HHS would want to go there.

Serious athletes who are smart realize that numbers do play a difference in a sports program. One of the best things God created was the ability to compete. It brings out the best in all of us. I get the hint that you are trying to say you can't get a good education at the County High schools? That couldn't be futher from the truth. Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts have put out great people over the years. Doctor's, Lawyers, Judges, Nurses, teachers, and the list goes on and on. I see no reason why Harlan County High will be any different. It's sad that it takes a lawyer from the city to have the wits to be able to see through green colored glasses.

I was only addressing the quality of the basketball gym and the new coaches and whether or not a kid that had sports as a high priority at HC would want to leave that for HHS to sit a year and pay tuition. I did not intend a message on overall school choice or whether a kid like yours at HHS would want to go there.

Easy Youthcoach, he gets mad over anything.

Tom Larkey is one of the best in the state, you guys are lucky to have him.Don't be shocked if Harlan Co. is playing in December.

We know we are lucky and we love Larkey to death. I agree with you, he is a dandy and we will keep him.