2008 Harlan County

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I misunderstood YC. Thought maybe LB had brainwashed you. Whew! Thats a relief. Beg yer pardon!

I was only addressing the quality of the basketball gym and the new coaches and whether or not a kid that had sports as a high priority at HC would want to leave that for HHS to sit a year and pay tuition. I did not intend a message on overall school choice or whether a kid like yours at HHS would want to go there.

There you go putting words in my mouth LB. Listen, the education in the county high schools has taken a hit the past few years. I think that a very small part of that is the difficulties with finances and offerings, but I think a large part at least in one of the high schools was discipline. I'm gratified that that came back to that school last year and I believe its a good start. I have tons of friends that are products of the county and they are highly successful/intelligent people. The fact is though that in "general", HHS has been a cut above because education has been the focus. What I was saying, contrary to your mind reading, was that if the student Athlete's "focus" is education and to play sports, HHS is a great choice. Again, being on the biggest, baddest, winningest team isn't always what its cracked up to be. I sincerely hope the new facility will be the magic pill its being billed to be. All of Harlan County will benefit.

Serious athletes who are smart realize that numbers do play a difference in a sports program. One of the best things God created was the ability to compete. It brings out the best in all of us. I get the hint that you are trying to say you can't get a good education at the County High schools? That couldn't be futher from the truth. Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts have put out great people over the years. Doctor's, Lawyers, Judges, Nurses, teachers, and the list goes on and on. I see no reason why Harlan County High will be any different. It's sad that it takes a lawyer from the city to have the wits to be able to see through green colored glasses.

Does anyone agree that the best of the backs are Green, Gilliam, and Clark, I really like these three to carry the bulk of the load for the bears. Green is sort of a throw back to the glory years in football for the county, 70s-80s type of player that can play any spot in the backfield and will be very good at it. Gilliam is a back that has very good speed for our area and he and green should make a nice combo. Who will be the qb might be the biggest question for the coaches to answer. I guess that the LCC game is on for the 29th of August wow what an opener. This might be on of the most hyped games of the year in the mountains.

Does anyone agree that the best of the backs are Green, Gilliam, and Clark, I really like these three to carry the bulk of the load for the bears. Green is sort of a throw back to the glory years in football for the county, 70s-80s type of player that can play any spot in the backfield and will be very good at it. Gilliam is a back that has very good speed for our area and he and green should make a nice combo. Who will be the qb might be the biggest question for the coaches to answer. I guess that the LCC game is on for the 29th of August wow what an opener. This might be on of the most hyped games of the year in the mountains.

That is a good question and I think they will have several kids that must be on the field besides those three you mentioned. I think LCC is a tough first game for the Black Bears because of the offense. I would feel much better about this game if it were week 5, 6 or 7 but we must play the hand we were delt. It should be a dandy to say the least. No better place to be on that friday night than LCC's field. It should be a huge crowd and excellent atmoshere. I can't wait.

Simmons may be the best athlete of the bunch, but he can also play receiver, so you may be right. I've always liked Green, but he needs to hit the weights a little more and get a step quicker to join the elite group of backs in the region/state.

My guess is Blanton as the quarterback. Polson could also play there, but is pretty valuable as a defensive back and can also play receiver.

I would probably put Simmons in before Clark, but they are both talented.

I agree that Gilliam and Green will be tough for the Bears.

You do just fine with your words HDE! As I've tried to tell LB and company, who thinks I'm trashing everyone who ever graduated from a county school, its the mentality that the new school will solve all the problems I'm railing against. Its a step and a step in the right direction. If they do this right the next Editor from HCHS could be working the New York Times....

I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about some of us country boys who didn't go to one of them academic schools.