2008 Harlan County

Bayshore and I appear to agree upon a 2 seed and a first round home playoff game. Would the new football field possibly be ready by then? I know the regular season games will rotate at the old Cawood/Cumberland/Evarts fields, but it would be electric to open a new stadium with a playoff game.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new field won't be ready this year. I think all the home games will be at Cawood. If not, the Bears would be like a road team every week. Funds have been approved for improvements at Cawood's field.

From the things I have picked up the new field will be 2-3 years away unless they are able to get a private donor somewhat like happened for Belfry. If only someone local could win the lottery, other than that it will take time, hopefully that is not a major hurdle for the Bears, Cawood has the parking, and at the present time they are putting a new sprinkler system, and surface down, if they go with bermuda like Harlan it is a good playing surface but it must be maintained almost daily. Lungbuster I have found you a job, mower man!!!

I see a 7-2 record, wins Lynn Camp, Fleming Co, Powell Co, Middlesboro, Grayson VA, Estill Co, and Somerset. Losses Lee Co and Breathitt Co, first round home playoff game should be a win and anything futher has to be considered gravy for a first year squad. So I am thinking 7-2 regular season, and 8-3 or maybe 9-3 after the postseason which could get the Bears rolling when they make the move up to 5A.

What is your reasoning for counting a road game at Somerset as a win? The Jumpers beat Cawood in their last home game ever last season and have traditionally had little trouble with Evarts or Cumberland.

Shifting gears...has the coaching staff been finalized? If so, who?

Larkey

Ovie Canady

Jon Reynolds

Eddie Creech

Steve Morris

Scott Caldwell

Frank Vicini

Fred McCreary

Denny Farmer

Charles Lovely

Jerry Edwards

Glen Wills

These are the names I have been told. Can anyone confirm or deny?

From the things I have picked up the new field will be 2-3 years away unless they are able to get a private donor somewhat like happened for Belfry. If only someone local could win the lottery, other than that it will take time, hopefully that is not a major hurdle for the Bears, Cawood has the parking, and at the present time they are putting a new sprinkler system, and surface down, if they go with bermuda like Harlan it is a good playing surface but it must be maintained almost daily. Lungbuster I have found you a job, mower man!!!

I can ride a mower with the best of them. However, that job will only last for a year and then I would be out of a job. The new sports complex will be ready by year number 2. The Junior High will take over a very nice playing field out at Hall Jr. High ( Old Cawood high school).

It's off the subject but since you brought it up, why would they call it Hall Junior High? Hall is in Grays Knob, and I think was named after the family that donated the land there.

It was my understanding that Somerset did loose a bunch of seniors. Checked LCC schedule an they have only 4 home games I don't see them traveling to Harlan either.

Their schedule on KHSAA wouldn't reflect it right now, it has just happened supposedly in the last 48 hours. It will be a HOME GAME for Letcher Central. They would not travel, Harlan was left to play 9 games in total or travel in week 1 and have 10 games. No one was able to schedule them in week 1 at home.

It's off the subject but since you brought it up, why would they call it Hall Junior High? Hall is in Grays Knob, and I think was named after the family that donated the land there.

Would it be Cawood Junior High? But Cawood already has a junior high elsewhere, so would it be Harlan County Middle School? But that might cause friction with the other schools. What is the plan?