Sampson out as IU coach. Settlement reached.

bellalumni40

IU's administration deserves what they get over this, but I don't see the justification to dump on the fans or the players. They did not ask for this. I recall the fan base being skeptical of the Sampson hire from day one. And I don't hear many IU fans saying that the impermissible phone calls were a frame job or other crazy crap that we've heard from fans of other programs caught red-handed...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IU's administration deserves what they get over this, but I don't see the justification to dump on the fans or the players. They did not ask for this. I recall the fan base being skeptical of the Sampson hire from day one. And I don't hear many IU fans saying that the impermissible phone calls were a frame job or other crazy crap that we've heard from fans of other programs caught red-handed...

Did anyone read Rick Bozich's column where he said IU hired a search firm for their hire and the top three were: Mark Few, Tubby Smith, and Kelvin Sampson?

Few wasnt going to leave the west coast and Tubby and IU negotiated for a while, but they were not close on money so he walked away. So OTS was looking to get out a full year before he actually did leave. Interesting.

Did anyone read Rick Bozich's column where he said IU hired a search firm for their hire and the top three were: Mark Few, Tubby Smith, and Kelvin Sampson?

Few wasnt going to leave the west coast and Tubby and IU negotiated for a while, but they were not close on money so he walked away. So OTS was looking to get out a full year before he actually did leave. Interesting.

Tubby negotiated, or his agent?

I don't know if you can say this shows Tubby was looking... it shows IU was looking, and Tubby (or more likely IMO Tubby's agent) at least heard their offer.

Tubby negotiated, or his agent?

I don't know if you can say this shows Tubby was looking... it shows IU was looking, and Tubby (or more likely IMO Tubby's agent) at least heard their offer.

Negotiated is probably a bit strong.

It wasn't in Bozich's column, but on his radio show.

Said OTS was very very interested and that their were discussions. 'm sure it was with the agent and OTS was probably very in tune with the ongoings of it.

Do you think that IU will wait until the season's over to actually pick a new coach, or find one & then just announce it after the NCAA Final Four?

I think they will wait until the season is over to try and keep any further disruptions to a minumim. This team is on a pretty good roll and any further distractions would not be wise. It was reported that several players didn't show up for practice yesterday and I just hope they get this behind them. I am not their favorite fan but I would hate to see the team flounder because of this situation. Sampson was out either way after the reports of infractions. Lesson learned and money well spent.

Don't kid yourself, guys will talk now.

I agree to an extent. While games are being played it is mostly going to be agents doing the talking. You also have to agree that no current coach is going to announce he is going to IU before the season is over.

I almost have to believe no guy that doesnt have IU ties is going to want to commit to taking the job before the sanctions are determined anyway.