Reds Interested in Danny Haren...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the contract status on Haren? I belive that Bedard still has two years left on his if I'm not mistaken.

Haren is under contract for 2 more years with a club option on a 3rd. In 2008 his contract is for $4 Million, 2009 it is for $5.5 Million with and additional $750K in incentives and the club option for 2009 is for $6.75 Million with a $250K buyout. He's not all that expensive--I am however hearing that the Indians are supposed to be putting a package together to make a bid on him--and I know that he is supposed to be plan B if the Red Sox abandon their pursuit of Santana. He'll probably cost more in prospects than in terms of salary if the Indians, Red Sox and Yankees get involved.

Out of curiousity, why? I've always thought Haren was much better. I guess Bedard plays in a tougher division (and AL east pitchers do well in the NL), but isn't Haren younger?

Two factors, one you touched on and one you didn't.

1. Lefty. Balances out Arroyo, Harang and Bailey (if he is still here after the deal).

2. Track record from pitching in baseball's most lethal division.

I understand that. But I still don't feel the Reds can compete from a financial standpoint to secure a pitcher of this guys caliber. Even if they work out a trade, the Reds wouldn't be able to keep this guy around.

He's not a free agent, he's signed for 08 and 09 with a club option for 2010. The Reds total investment (if he reaches all of his incentives) would be $17 Million for 3 seasons or $10.5 Million if they chose to buy him out in 2010 instead of picking up his option. If they can't afford that they should probably move to AAA.

He's not a free agent, he's signed for 08 and 09 with a club option for 2010. The Reds total investment (if he reaches all of his incentives) would be $17 Million for 3 seasons or $10.5 Million if they chose to buy him out in 2010 instead of picking up his option. If they can't afford that they should probably move to AAA.

I agree.

This would be nice.. Haren would be perfect for Cincinnati. Put Haren with Harang and that's two 14-17 game winners right there. If anyway possible Bedard and Haren can both come to Cincy.....wow...

No way Cincy has the products to pull off both deals. Even one will be tough if one of the big boys gets in a bidding war with the Reds.