Scott (Northern KY) head coach opening?

Bluerunner

That is true but this happens at every school in NKY. I can name quite a few players over the last few years that didn't play at they were expected to.

True. But, I would challenge you to find me a school that has been more depleted by this than Scott...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, he resigned...

He was forced to. Its one of those things were they say like in Pro Sports your not coming back so resign if you say no your fired so call it what you want the fact is he was forced out he wanted to come back like the blog said it was his dream job he wouldnt give it up in 3 years.

He was forced to. Its one of those things were they say like in Pro Sports your not coming back so resign if you say no your fired so call it what you want the fact is he was forced out he wanted to come back like the blog said it was his dream job he wouldnt give it up in 3 years.

:D:D

It's not that easy to choose schools, but it's not too difficult to go to another school, either. Open enrollment is one of the difficulties that Scott has to deal with. There have been a few players that have chosen to come to Scott as well, but for the most part it has been the other way around. There have been alot of high profile kids that play for some of the better teams in the area that all live in Scott's district...

IMO, if the open enrollment in Kenton County is not stopped, then unfortunatley, it will take a very long time to see change. Feeder schools and a junior league football system are equally important in getting the ship righted. It will take a solid coach with a proven track record and the ingredients above to cook up a sucessful program.

I taught at Scott HS many years ago. So long ago that the players today are sons of former students! I said a long time ago! Back then Scott was know for its marching band and its fine wrestling program. I understand that Scott no longer has a "marching" band and I have not heard anything regarding its wrestling program.

So, what is really going on over in Taylor Mill beside its dismal football program?

People who don't play football should not cast stones on the football program especially when you don't know what you are talking about. I believ Dixie lost to 1a Beechwood this year and also lost to Holmes a team Scott beat easily. Just remember any team can be beaten on any given day. I know I went to a summer baseball AABC game and watched the Kentucky Colonels who was supposed to be the best team in the area lose to the Bluegrass Chiefs this year so what is your reply to that ?

People who don't play football should not cast stones on the football program especially when you don't know what you are talking about. I believ Dixie lost to 1a Beechwood this year and also lost to Holmes a team Scott beat easily. Just remember any team can be beaten on any given day. I know I went to a summer baseball AABC game and watched the Kentucky Colonels who was supposed to be the best team in the area lose to the Bluegrass Chiefs this year so what is your reply to that ?

I don't think that people are casting stones but they are wondering what direction whoever is in charge wants the program to go. They had a coach that was a "dedicated Scott guy" who made the playoffs and now they don't. Who is going to step up and take the job and how are they going to change things?

IMO, if the open enrollment in Kenton County is not stopped, then unfortunatley, it will take a very long time to see change. Feeder schools and a junior league football system are equally important in getting the ship righted. It will take a solid coach with a proven track record and the ingredients above to cook up a sucessful program.

I taught at Scott HS many years ago. So long ago that the players today are sons of former students! I said a long time ago! Back then Scott was know for its marching band and its fine wrestling program. I understand that Scott no longer has a "marching" band and I have not heard anything regarding its wrestling program.

So, what is really going on over in Taylor Mill beside its dismal football program?

Summit View Middle School has had a great football team the past two years.

A parent told us in the 90's that his son who played for Scott was injured on the field because the coaches at the time would start player's before they were ready to play varsity. Also at that time the weight program was alot to be desired. Don't blame open enrollment. Summit View split's into 3 high school's.

There is a different way of looking at the decision to let the coach go. Yes he had some level of success this year. But perhaps the administration and supporters at Scott want an even higher level of success and based on their assessment of him as a coach, they did not feel he could take them to that level. We've often said on here that a program cannot succeed unless the administration is committed to winning and that means, in large part, getting the best possible coach to lead these young men. Perhaps, just perhaps, that in spite of Coach Fisk being a nice guy and a decent coach, the administration felt that they needed a better coach than he was in order to win more regularly and take them to the next level. If that was their logic, can you blame them?

I know that I've sat with Scott parents pretty regularly over the years (no visitors bleachers at Scott) and a whole lot of them were very critical of the lack of summer practices and conditioning conducted by the coaches. I don't know if that's true or for that matter what the reasons are for such if it is true. If its because the players would quit if he pushed them so hard, that's one thing. If however its because the coaches wanted to take more time off during the summer to golf and just "enjoy" their summer that may be another thing. Winning teams are made not during the season, but rather during the winter, spring and summer in my opinion. Again, I am not around Scott's program enough to know if that is part of the problem, but there are at least some Scott parents that are of the opinion that Scott hasn't put in the time necessary to be able to beat the likes of Dixie, CovCath and Highlands. That dissatisfaction and desire to be better MAY (I don't know) have had something to do with Coach Fisk's removal. Everyone that I know that knows him thinks he is a great guy for what its worth and I wish him luck in the future.

I'm no closer to the program than you are, and most of the comments in he post you quoted involved the number or lack thereof of kids on the team. I'll address those issues in a reply to Sting.

In reference to the coaching change, you're right it's the administration's job to find the best person to lead the program, and if they didn't think it was the current coach, they did what they had to do. Whether any of the reasons you alluded to are true, neither of us can speculate.

I just think it looks bad on an administration when they get rid of a coach after he took the team to the playoffs for the first time in forever, scored the second most points in school history, had one of the most successful seasons in school history, and is in only his third year.

It may have been the right move, I don't know, but after this move I know the next guy to sign on better ask "what do I have to do to keep my job."

I don't think the '07 Scott schedule is the issue in this thread, but I think alot of the teams you may be referring might take offense to being referred to as 'bad people'..

Poor choice of words, I meant bad teams. I trust they are all fine people.:D

I think what he is referring to is just to get a larger number of kids involved with the program. A school of Scott's size should have more than 40 kids coming out for varsity football. It was hoped that some success on the field would draw greater interest in the program and get more kids to come out. Also, more than half of the varsity team will be graduating in the spring...

Yeah, but here's the thing with numbers, Ryle had a hundred or thereabouts on their squad and still needed their starting qb to play special teams in November. So how much do numbers really mean? Isn't it quality over quantity?

Football is a hard sport played by tough people. If you have to coax a kid to come out in the first place, how long is he going to last when the going gets hard (and it will at some point in football). I've never been a fan of the arguement that "there's talent just walking the hallways" at any school, Scott included. There's a reason those kids are just walking the hallways.

I agree with you 100 percent Sandman on this. I am very close to the Scott program and I hear it alot about talent walking the hallways and not playing football. The reason they probably don't play football is they can't hack it plain and simple, the practices the weights the running and all that comes with being a football player for any school. They just use the excuse well the program isn't very good so why should I waste my time. Excuses and if ands and buts be a man and play football if you think you can hack it.:fight::fight:

Scott really needs to make a big splash with the next Coach they hire. Especially after letting Coach Fisk go because he was a players Coach and all the kids liked him. I know when new administrators come into a school they want to try to turn around a program that might not be producing, but Scott did make the playoffs and won 4 games this year which very easily they could have won 6 but things happen in life all in all it was a good year for Scott football they showed improvement.

In closing I guess what I am saying is Scott's administration needs to step up to the plate and get a Coach with experience as a long term assistant or another head coach from somewhere. We don't need someone with no experience we need someone who has been through it all and wants the challenge of coaching at Scott.

Remember football brings in the most money of any sport at Scott and probably spends the most so the administration might have to pay a little extra to get a Coach with the experience that Scott needs.

Can't speak for what the administrations thought process was in letting Coach Fisk go but there has been a lot of posting regarding long term planning and solutions. When I look at Scotts roster I see a senior loaded team with seniors making up approx 50% of the roster.

I see a JV team that cancelled a game at the last second because they didn't have enough players and a frosh team with barely 20 players.

Maybe the decision wasn't based on what he did this season but what he wasn't doing for the future of the program?

I agree the planning could be for the future. I think it all starts with the feeder programs especially Woodland where Scott gets the bulk of their football players. Woodland this year I believe didn't win a game and it just trickles down from there. Scott at the Freshmen level didn't win a game and Scott at the JV level didn't win a game. The seniors on this years team were Freshmen under Coach Riegler at Scott when he was the varsity coach. I believe the new coach at Scott must be able to put the coaching staff of his choosing at Woodland and they should try to run everything the way he wants to run the high school program. Scott will be very inexperienced at the Varsity level next year because of all the Seniors they lost this year, but a new coach might be able to come in and start running things his way and the younger kids might catch on very quickly.