Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Scott (Northern KY) head coach opening?

Featured Replies

Scott may have went 4-6 this year but look at the wins they had and tell me they aren't something to be very boastful about.

 

The only real "respected" win was against Holmes and other than that, the others weren't that good. I believe the other 3 wins came against 1A, 2A, and 3A schools.

 

They even had a loss against a 1A school.

 

Scott seemed to be competing against the lower classes rather than their own.

I applaud Scott's determination to compete with schools like SK and Dixie who, as of right now, are just flat out above and beyond Scott.

 

IMO, I think letting go Coach Fisk was a good decision.

 

There were alot of improvements being made. Scott was 4-6, but could have very easily have been 6-4 (an ot loss to Grant County and a 14-10 loss to Dayton). By most other teams standards this may not seem like much, but at Scott this was considered a big step forward. It was hoped that with a few wins and a playoff appearance more kids would participate. It took many years for SK and Dixie to rebuild their teams up to becoming respectable. To build up a program takes a long term plan and requires a few years. IMO I don't think it was fair to let go Coach Fisk in such a short amount of time. However, they will hire a new coach, suffer through a few more 1-9 or 2-8 years trying to rebuild and they to will be thrown under the bus for another...

  • Replies 121
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott may have went 4-6 this year but look at the wins they had and tell me they aren't something to be very boastful about.

 

The only real "respected" win was against Holmes and other than that, the others weren't that good. I believe the other 3 wins came against 1A, 2A, and 3A schools.

 

They even had a loss against a 1A school.

 

Scott seemed to be competing against the lower classes rather than their own.

I applaud Scott's determination to compete with schools like SK and Dixie who, as of right now, are just flat out above and beyond Scott.

 

IMO, I think letting go Coach Fisk was a good decision.

Must disagree on some of these points. If you are going to hit the scheduling of these teams, remember the 1A school they lost to (14-10) was a very good 8-2 Dayton team this season...

 

The combined regular season record of opponents was 59-41...

 

Scott did beat Henry County who are still playing in the playoffs...

 

8 of the 10 teams on Scott's schedule made the playoffs...

I wonder if the new coach will schedule SK again so that the rivalry can continue.

Must disagree on some of these points. If you are going to hit the scheduling of these teams, remember the 1A school they lost to (14-10) was a very good 8-2 Dayton team this season...

 

The combined regular season record of opponents was 59-41...

 

Scott did beat Henry County who are still playing in the playoffs...

 

8 of the 10 teams on Scott's schedule made the playoffs...

IMO, no 1A team should be able to beat a 5A team due to the sheer numbers difference in school population.

 

And also due to the reclassification from 4 classes to 6 classes, who didn't make the playoffs?

IMO, no 1A team should be able to beat a 5A team due to the sheer numbers difference in school population.

 

And also due to the reclassification from 4 classes to 6 classes, who didn't make the playoffs?

 

So theoretically, Beechwood or Newport Central Catholic should never beat a team that has a higher population?

Must disagree on some of these points. If you are going to hit the scheduling of these teams, remember the 1A school they lost to (14-10) was a very good 8-2 Dayton team this season...

 

The combined regular season record of opponents was 59-41...

 

Scott did beat Henry County who are still playing in the playoffs...

 

8 of the 10 teams on Scott's schedule made the playoffs...

 

Dayton was very good by Dayton standards, they lost in the first round of the playoffs and didn't exactly play an overwhelming schedule either.

 

With six classes in football, the number of teams on the schedule who made the playoffs means nothing.

 

Bottom line, Scott played a lot of bad people. That being said, I think on the suface, this is a bad move by Scott. They won four games, and made the playoffs. Given the school's football history, that's an exceptional year. In their current district, it's about as good as they can possibly do.

Yes Coach Fisk is a P.E./Health teacher. This is definitely a suspect time to let Coach Fisk go. It seems that this was a decision that was made before the end of the season. I can understand that an A.D. wants to really improve the football program, but with the new six class alignment, Scott really has a chance to get some playoff appearences and possibly some wins (if the state ever decides to one district play the other in the first round like the good ol' days) in turn will bring more athletes out of the hallways of Scott H.S. and on to the fieldBut in the end, Good Luck Coach Fisk, you did an outstanding job. As a coach myself, I wish only the best for you!

 

I understand your intentions in the post, and agree in wishing coach Fisk the best of luck.

 

But, I have to take exception with the bolded part of your post. Scott has had little to no success in football for the better part of 30 years, it's not like they have athletes hanging out at the juice machine every year just choosing not to be athletes.

 

Also, if winning games and making a little run in the playoffs is what it takes to bring these athletes out, then why do you need them? At that point, you've already won without them.

 

Bottom line here, Scott's football athletes played football this year. They showed up every day (I assume), worked hard, won some and lost some, but they participated and competed. Congrats to them, and all their coaches for that.

Dayton was very good by Dayton standards, they lost in the first round of the playoffs and didn't exactly play an overwhelming schedule either.

 

With six classes in football, the number of teams on the schedule who made the playoffs means nothing.

 

Bottom line, Scott played a lot of bad people. That being said, I think on the suface, this is a bad move by Scott. They won four games, and made the playoffs. Given the school's football history, that's an exceptional year. In their current district, it's about as good as they can possibly do.

 

I don't think the '07 Scott schedule is the issue in this thread, but I think alot of the teams you may be referring might take offense to being referred to as 'bad people'..

I understand your intentions in the post, and agree in wishing coach Fisk the best of luck.

 

But, I have to take exception with the bolded part of your post. Scott has had little to no success in football for the better part of 30 years, it's not like they have athletes hanging out at the juice machine every year just choosing not to be athletes.

 

Also, if winning games and making a little run in the playoffs is what it takes to bring these athletes out, then why do you need them? At that point, you've already won without them.

 

Bottom line here, Scott's football athletes played football this year. They showed up every day (I assume), worked hard, won some and lost some, but they participated and competed. Congrats to them, and all their coaches for that.

 

I think what he is referring to is just to get a larger number of kids involved with the program. A school of Scott's size should have more than 40 kids coming out for varsity football. It was hoped that some success on the field would draw greater interest in the program and get more kids to come out. Also, more than half of the varsity team will be graduating in the spring...

Wasn't there a lot of grumbling going on last year at Scott with the pay to play fee? I beleive I heard that parents were really upset (as usual) about the whole football situation.

Could this have anything to do with the decision?

Wasn't there a lot of grumbling going on last year at Scott with the pay to play fee? I beleive I heard that parents were really upset (as usual) about the whole football situation.

Could this have anything to do with the decision?

 

No. Some of the parents didn't like the hastle of fundraising so they thought they would pay a fee on a voluntary basis for those who wanted to do it instead. They did this in '06 and it didn't go over very well so it was scrapped in '07. Might have to get someone to verify this with one of the parents, but I was under the understanding this was the case...

I understand your intentions in the post, and agree in wishing coach Fisk the best of luck.

 

But, I have to take exception with the bolded part of your post. Scott has had little to no success in football for the better part of 30 years, it's not like they have athletes hanging out at the juice machine every year just choosing not to be athletes.

 

Also, if winning games and making a little run in the playoffs is what it takes to bring these athletes out, then why do you need them? At that point, you've already won without them.

 

Bottom line here, Scott's football athletes played football this year. They showed up every day (I assume), worked hard, won some and lost some, but they participated and competed. Congrats to them, and all their coaches for that.

 

 

There is a different way of looking at the decision to let the coach go. Yes he had some level of success this year. But perhaps the administration and supporters at Scott want an even higher level of success and based on their assessment of him as a coach, they did not feel he could take them to that level. We've often said on here that a program cannot succeed unless the administration is committed to winning and that means, in large part, getting the best possible coach to lead these young men. Perhaps, just perhaps, that in spite of Coach Fisk being a nice guy and a decent coach, the administration felt that they needed a better coach than he was in order to win more regularly and take them to the next level. If that was their logic, can you blame them?

 

I know that I've sat with Scott parents pretty regularly over the years (no visitors bleachers at Scott) and a whole lot of them were very critical of the lack of summer practices and conditioning conducted by the coaches. I don't know if that's true or for that matter what the reasons are for such if it is true. If its because the players would quit if he pushed them so hard, that's one thing. If however its because the coaches wanted to take more time off during the summer to golf and just "enjoy" their summer that may be another thing. Winning teams are made not during the season, but rather during the winter, spring and summer in my opinion. Again, I am not around Scott's program enough to know if that is part of the problem, but there are at least some Scott parents that are of the opinion that Scott hasn't put in the time necessary to be able to beat the likes of Dixie, CovCath and Highlands. That dissatisfaction and desire to be better MAY (I don't know) have had something to do with Coach Fisk's removal. Everyone that I know that knows him thinks he is a great guy for what its worth and I wish him luck in the future.

There is a different way of looking at the decision to let the coach go. Yes he had some level of success this year. But perhaps the administration and supporters at Scott want an even higher level of success and based on their assessment of him as a coach, they did not feel he could take them to that level. We've often said on here that a program cannot succeed unless the administration is committed to winning and that means, in large part, getting the best possible coach to lead these young men. Perhaps, just perhaps, that in spite of Coach Fisk being a nice guy and a decent coach, the administration felt that they needed a better coach than he was in order to win more regularly and take them to the next level. If that was their logic, can you blame them?

 

I know that I've sat with Scott parents pretty regularly over the years (no visitors bleachers at Scott) and a whole lot of them were very critical of the lack of summer practices and conditioning conducted by the coaches. I don't know if that's true or for that matter what the reasons are for such if it is true. If its because the players would quit if he pushed them so hard, that's one thing. If however its because the coaches wanted to take more time off during the summer to golf and just "enjoy" their summer that may be another thing. Winning teams are made not during the season, but rather during the winter, spring and summer in my opinion. Again, I am not around Scott's program enough to know if that is part of the problem, but there are at least some Scott parents that are of the opinion that Scott hasn't put in the time necessary to be able to beat the likes of Dixie, CovCath and Highlands. That dissatisfaction and desire to be better MAY (I don't know) have had something to do with Coach Fisk's removal. Everyone that I know that knows him thinks he is a great guy for what its worth and I wish him luck in the future.

 

 

Scott started the summer practices the same time all the other teams did they went through two a days like others schools they did spring ball, they did everything all the other teams did. The coaches didnt take time off during the summer they were always meeting during the dead period to go over what they wanted to do for the season and when it was time to practice they were all there. It doesnt matter what the record is or how good things are going you will always have parents complain about stuff. I been around Scott for a long time and have seen what the parents can do but I really think that the parents had nothing to do with this happening, it was all one man.

Tough coaching situation with the twin 1000 pound gorillas sitting in the Park Hills and Fort Thomas corners. Add to that the 500 gorilla sitting behind the KFC on Dixie Highway and who would you hire that would not be using this job to get to another job?

 

Don't mean to be harsh, and quite frankly it is just a stroke of bad fortune (or bad decision-making) or bad geography or bad karma, that allowed Highlands and CovCath into the same district as Scott therefore making it a very tough position to fill.

 

Don't forget Holy Cross at the bottom of the hill!

 

Lack of a dedicated feeder system has doomed Scott football for years. The next coach has to be committed to working the grass roots and not just hoping the athletes walk thru the doors as frosh.

 

SK is enjoying the benefits of Summitt View and Twenhofel generating successful programs with good numbers and I think all of the South Kenton teams in the NKYFL are from SK districts.

I don't care who follows as the next coach, they will always struggle to beat HHS, Dixie, and CovCath! Maybe somebody closer to the program can enlighten us as to whether there is more to the story. If the expectations are that high at Scott now, then I hope they put their money where their mouth is and hire a coach that can take them to that "Next Level". It wasn't like coaches were jumping at the opportunity the last time the job was open. That was before the Eagles were in district with the above mentioned teams...

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.