Diogenes

St. X vs. Manual: Who wins?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. St. X vs. Manual: Who wins?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all this attention being paid to the health status of Deuce Finch (who I do unbiasly believe is the best RB in Kentucky), everyone is overlooking the true strength of this St. X. team...DEFENSE.

In eleven games this season against some outstanding offensive teams, this Tiger defense has only surrendered 86 points total or an average of 7.8 per game. No team has scored more than 15 points against them in any single game. In St. X.'s earlier 21-14 win over Manual, one of the Crimsons' TDs was a gift when a snap sailed way over the head of the Tiger punter and the ball was given to Manual at the 1-yardline.

There may exist some questions about the Tiger offense this week, but there is no question that the defense will be ready. :cool:

With all this attention being paid to the health status of Deuce Finch (who I do unbiasly believe is the best RB in Kentucky), everyone is overlooking the true strength of this St. X. team...DEFENSE.

In eleven games this season against some outstanding offensive teams, this Tiger defense has only surrendered 86 points total or an average of 7.8 per game. No team has scored more than 15 points against them in any single game. In St. X.'s earlier 21-14 win over Manual, one of the Crimsons' TDs was a gift when a snap sailed way over the head of the Tiger punter and the ball was given to Manual at the 1-yardline.

There may exist some questions about the Tiger offense this week, but there is no question that the defense will be ready. :cool:

Very Good POint and well stated. I think this makes the Tigers virtually unbeatable.........................

I hope for the best for St. X. The football program is gaining strength. Confidence is good, yet also a respect for your opponet. St. X was down 14-3 at the half against Covington Catholic.

"I think this makes the Tigers virtually unbeatable........................." This type of statement, I believe, can be dangerous. I bet U of K didn't expect to lose against Gardner-Webb? What about Michigan and Appalachian State?

"I think this makes the Tigers virtually unbeatable........................." This type of statement, I believe, can be dangerous. I bet U of K didn't expect to lose against Gardner-Webb? What about Michigan and Appalachian State?

Please remember the source of the statement- not a 100 percent X backer.

But I do believe that we had the best defense than 11 of our opponents. I would guess that we have had the best offense in 3 out of the 11. What makes this matchup so interesting is with Deuce out, X will be forced to throw the ball more which Shelby County showed was a weakness in the Manual defense. Otherwise, we probably would of run more which Manual's defense has proven to be solid against in the last 6 games.

"Please remember the source of the statement- not a 100 percent X backer."

Thanks. That does help me to better understand the statement. I do agree that St. X's defense has been very strong. Their team speed to the ball is very good. Their play against Trinity may have been the best yet. I just get uneasy when I hear people almost talk like the state championship is in the bag. What about a couple of years ago when St. X beat Trinity something like 48-6 in the regular season then lost in the state final when a injury to a quarterback occurred in the first quarter. I guess with a few years under my belt, I try to be very objective-- and a little more humble in my assessments.

It will be an interesting match-up.

Manual will need to play the Defense they are best at - straight up smash-mouth defense. Few trick or strunts. The offense has quite a few athletes. If the coaches can see that and take advantage of it they can keep St. X on their heels.

St X does have an awesome defense. Speed to the ball may be the best in the state. I have heard Glaser has been working on it hard all year. Their offense, with or without Duece is still a force. Zoeller can run or pass - so Manual will have to defend both.

Both teams will be pump up for the rematch. Glaser wants to beat Manual bad everytime they play. Manual really wants to beat X. It could get a monkey off their back and allow them to advance to the next tough game. It could show thier players they do have the talent. Coaching will be a big part of it, there is only so much the players can do. They will need to maintain their focus and play with a controlled energy to get past X.

I wish both team well and hope that sportsmanship and respect are present throughout the game with both the players and fans.

To Deuce or not to Deuce, that is the question for Manual's defensive preparation this week. The Crimsons will have to approach this impending battle between the BGP #1 and #3 teams with a dual defensive plan to cover the "what ifs". The more practice time Manual has to spend on this, the better for St. X. :D

I would like to see a list of those that have had an MCL injury, and those that haven't....since I have, I am 100% sure that you can not be back to 100% for about 6-7 months.....that said, Deuce is better than I was....however with an injury like said one...there is a recovery time that Mike is not being 100% honest about.

Your source is wrong. St.X never plays dirty.

I did not take that to mean "dirty" by any means. We would be a different team without our QB in the game as many other teams would say the same thing. In big games you play even more intensely and put the hat on QBs, RBs or anyone you block. Some games you may just "emphasize" that a little (or ALOT) more.

Let me re-iterate this....when it comes to X's offense, you do not need to practice "for or against Deuce", it is a very simple scheme, either you can stop it or you can't.

Simply to further reiterate, even when confronted with what appears to be the same offensive scheme, defensive adjustments are often appropriate when one considers the personnel package present on the field. More than one play alternate is run out of the same alignment. It is not quite as simple as you have alluded. :cool:

Simply to further reiterate, even when confronted with what appears to be the same offensive scheme, defensive adjustments are often appropriate when one considers the personnel package present on the field. More than one play alternate is run out of the same alignment. It is not quite as simple as you you have alluded. :cool:

Ox the key to that X offense has always been the line schemes. The O is simple but preparing for the line attack is another story. Most teams just do not adjust well and X always has a very good back to exploit the large holes.