Highlands vs. Simon Kenton (NKY Frosh Championship)

Henry521

Your post had nothing to do with the numbers. You said how great it was of Dale to allow the Varisty guys to go cheer for the younger boys. I was simply saying that any coach would do the same thing, therefore although a good thing to do it does not really matter since it is the standard thing to do. Nice try at changing it though.:thumb: On a side note, yes the numbers do speak for themselves so they're either doing something right over there, or they've got something in the water.

I've really never seen anyone on this message board, or anywhere else for that matter, give kudos to their coach for CHANGING their practice time to attend a frosh game. Of course the home team will have the older players there to support the frosh but it seems like a big deal to expect the older guys to either hop on the bus with the frosh or drive out to SK.

Not sure it's the 'standard thing to do'...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. The kid that gets any penalty like that will be the recipient of the colored jersey and he will be the guy they stick in the backfield on scout team against the first teamers. As a frosh, I wouldnt want to have to do that with the likes of Ball, Stein, Fitzgerald, Simons and a host of other headhunters.

Kinda surprised that Dale would take that approach. Doesn't really give the varsity a good look and only puts a kid in harms way (hence the reason he's been playing freshman all year and not varsity or JV).

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed what might happen to a freshman? Oh the rewards of being moved up.

I've really never seen anyone on this message board, or anywhere else for that matter, give kudos to their coach for CHANGING their practice time to attend a frosh game. Of course the home team will have the older players there to support the frosh but it seems like a big deal to expect the older guys to either hop on the bus with the frosh or drive out to SK.

Not sure it's the 'standard thing to do'...

I guess its just me, I don't think it is really that big of a deal to expect my Varsity players to go watch their Freshman play in the championship.

I guess its just me, I don't think it is really that big of a deal to expect my Varsity players to go watch their Freshman play in the championship.

Considering that Dale changed his routine practice schedule for them to attend. Most good football coaches don't like changing their schedules for anything. Hell, he keeps pregame at night on Thanksgiving during the playoffs.

Considering that Dale changed his routine practice schedule for them to attend. Most good football coaches don't like changing their schedules for anything. Hell, he keeps pregame at night on Thanksgiving during the playoffs.

Wouldn't the practice schedule have changed if HHS was hosting the game? Or would it have been played on a different night?

I just don't see a big deal about this. Dale is one of the best coaches in the state. He could change his practice time to before school and he'd have the team ready for the game. He's doing what I would hope all other coaches would do if their frosh team was playing in the championship.

Go Luck Birds!

Wouldn't the practice schedule have changed if HHS was hosting the game? Or would it have been played on a different night?

I just don't see a big deal about this. Dale is one of the best coaches in the state. He could change his practice time to before school and he'd have the team ready for the game. He's doing what I would hope all other coaches would do if their frosh team was playing in the championship.

Go Luck Birds!

Not much, pregame usually starts around 8:00. I think you guys saying it's not a big deal is actually making this a bigger deal than the guys giving kudos...IMO.

Kinda surprised that Dale would take that approach. Doesn't really give the varsity a good look and only puts a kid in harms way (hence the reason he's been playing freshman all year and not varsity or JV).

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed what might happen to a freshman? Oh the rewards of being moved up.

Spoken in jest but maybe things have changed since I played because I know my coach would have sent a message to a player that way. I know when guys screwed off in practice they immediately became the RedShirt Running Back. Nothing wrong with ringing a guy's bell a few times to send a message. I'm not trying to say the kid should be put in a situation where he gets hurt. jeez....

I agree with you. I really doubt that Dale is going to permit any of the varsity to intentionally go head hunting against a frosh (whether its in retaliation for discipline issues or not).

Having said that, last year when my son got moved up after the end of the frosh season, well lets just say the "change of scenery" was an eye opening (and head ache causing) experience for him. Last thing the freddies need to do is provide any extra motivation for the varsity players to come hard across the line.

Your post had nothing to do with the numbers. You said how great it was of Dale to allow the Varisty guys to go cheer for the younger boys. I was simply saying that any coach would do the same thing, therefore although a good thing to do it does not really matter since it is the standard thing to do. Nice try at changing it though.:thumb: On a side note, yes the numbers do speak for themselves so they're either doing something right over there, or they've got something in the water.

There is nothing extra in the water, that's for sure. But yes we sure are doing lots of things right.

Maybe other coaches would do the same thing. Just haven't heard/read on here of that happening. As Sticky pointed out, varsity coaches tend to become slaves to habit and routine (particularly Dale). So for him to change pregame time is a big indicator of things. He really wants the freddies to know that after this game, they are no longer frosh but rather will be part of the varsity and they need to practice, play and behave accordingly.

Also as Sticky pointed out, if the game was at home, Dale would not have had to change pregame. We normally do pregame on the field on Thursday nights at 8:30, so if the frosh game had been at home, it would have been over by then.

Yeah i don't think Dale would do such a thing. But when i played screwing around on the sidelines during practice was not tolerated. Marty Moore use to jack people up on the sidelines if your attention wasn't directed to the practice field.:scared: I heard Bubba Malory(sp) back in the early 80's use to use the same approach. It certainly makes the underclassman stay focused!!

I don't think there is anything special about what Dale is doing because most coaches would do the same thing. I don't understand why the Highlands Freshman coaching staff puts up with the behavior of a few players. Just seems like a program like Highlands wouldn't need to use the Varsity team to keep the few freshman players from acting in an unsportsmanlike way. Shouldn't this problem have been taken care of before the championship game?

Spoken in jest but maybe things have changed since I played because I know my coach would have sent a message to a player that way. I know when guys screwed off in practice they immediately became the RedShirt Running Back. Nothing wrong with ringing a guy's bell a few times to send a message. I'm not trying to say the kid should be put in a situation where he gets hurt. jeez....

Maybe that is one of the reasons why he doesn't coach there anymore. That would not be tolerated at any level or school hopefully. Definitely not HHS! Might want to re-read before you post even if in "jest". And this is a "sensitive" subject right now and the program and/or other posters other than HHS people don't need any extra fuel for the fire.