What is the primary responsibility of newspapers?

sports fan

What is the role of newspapers & tv news programs?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is the role of newspapers & tv news programs?

• It's all about being accurate and ethical
    • Mostly about being accurate/ethical, but you have to consider what will sell
    • Accuracy & Ethics is no more/less important than sales revenue
    • Accuracy & Ethics are OK, but they take a back seat to sales
    • It's all about the bottom line

So much was made of the X & T article the other day I thought I'd give this thread a shot. What is the primary role of a newspaper or TV news program? Is it to be accurate and unbiased or is their first responsibility to sell papers/ads?

I believe 50 years ago this question would not be an issue. Journalism was all about accuracy and integrity. I think the pendulum has shifted, but how much?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with almost everything in life these days, it's all about the bottom line...

… which, unfortunately, sometimes forces otherwise ethical and accurate people to have to suppress those good traits so that some bean-counter in an office far away makes their quarterly bonus.

I believe 50 years ago this question would not be an issue. Journalism was all about accuracy and integrity. I think the pendulum has shifted, but how much?

Of course I wasn't around 50 years ago but I would say that it was never ALL about accuracy and integrity. The bottom line has always been the major concern.

Of course I wasn't around 50 years ago but I would say that it was never ALL about accuracy and integrity. The bottom line has always been the major concern.

Not to the degree it is today. Main reason: Newspapers then were mostly family-owned as opposed to the corporate conglomerations that run the newspaper world nowadays. Those families lived in and felt a responsibility to the communities where there newspapers were based. Absentee ownership is, IMO, the biggest reason for the decline in quality of newspapers and a lowering of newspapers' credibility in the public eye.

I can't speak to TV and radio as much, but I know many of the same problems have killed the quality of those mediums.

Not to the degree it is today. Main reason: Newspapers then were mostly family-owned as opposed to the corporate conglomerations that run the newspaper world nowadays. Those families lived in and felt a responsibility to the communities where there newspapers were based. Absentee ownership is, IMO, the biggest reason for the decline in quality of newspapers and a lowering of newspapers' credibility in the public eye.

I can't speak to TV and radio as much, but I know many of the same problems have killed the quality of those mediums.

It was much easier to make a profit back then. In many cases, it was the primary source of news for folks.

Competition from many sources has causes traditional news to lean towards entertainment because we as a society demand it.

Seeing as how the size of most newspapers is dictated by the amount of ads sold and not the amount of news stories written, I will venture to say it's about the bottom line.

I agree, but if its subscribers cared more about truth and accuracy than fanaticism and trivial Hollwood-esque waste we wouldn't be having this debate.