Chain gang opinion

3ptshooter

IMO, the chains should be on the home team's side of the field. It is always a problem keeping the kids behind the white line but it is usually easier for the chain gang to get thru if they are on their own side of the field. They know the kids and the kids know them. Plus, if they yell they get the coaches mad for yelling like they do when they are on the visitors side, which happens often.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I think most coaches/fans would assume the stick are getting fudged if on the home team side. If it was to be on the "Home" side then split the crew up 2 and 2.

Box -- Home Team designated

Clip -- Away Team designated

Chains -- One of each

I think home or away it should be done this way with 2 from each team.

IMO, the chains should be on the home team's side of the field. It is always a problem keeping the kids behind the white line but it is usually easier for the chain gang to get thru if they are on their own side of the field. They know the kids and the kids know them. Plus, if they yell they get the coaches mad for yelling like they do when they are on the visitors side, which happens often.

Why would the coaches get mad? If the boys are not stayin back....

Has this been a problem for BW?

Why would the coaches get mad? If the boys are not stayin back....

Has this been a problem for BW?

It's not always a problem, but this is where sideline infractions come from. As an individual who has performed these game duties before, it can be frustrating when having the kids and coaches around you bumpin and grindin on you while you're trying to do your job. It doesn't matter if it's the Home side or the Visitor side, the problem is the same.

What has made the situation more difficult is the change in policy of having the chains two yards off the side line. This puts the chains directly in the box with the players. Coaches and hangers on make the job more difficult than the players as a general rule. If the official on the sideline is doing his job (the vast majority do a very good job) and the chain crew is competent there is no reason to expect anything other than honesty.

By rule the chains have to be on the side opposite the press box. Home side or visitors side doesnt enter into it.

That explains why at CCH it stayed the same even when CCH changed from the far sidelines to the near sidelines.

Good info.

If players and coaches would stay back where they are supposed to be, this would not be a problem. If officials would have some courage to enforce the rule, they would be able to work a better game, see more, have less distractions, and keep the game safer.

If players and coaches would stay back where they are supposed to be, this would not be a problem. If officials would have some courage to enforce the rule, they would be able to work a better game, see more, have less distractions, and keep the game safer.

Your comment leads to another question. I was at the HHS Hoptown game Saturday and some guy next to me was really bent out of shape because the Hoptown coach was on the field.

As an official, do you strictly enforce this and tell him to get back or do you give him so leeway as the head coach as long as he's not in the way of action?

I'm never been an official but have been a coach in that situation. As long as we were coaching, we were given a little lee-way, provided we weren't in the way of the actual play.

Now, as soon as we started "questioning", we were told to get back on the sidelines.

Your comment leads to another question. I was at the HHS Hoptown game Saturday and some guy next to me was really bent out of shape because the Hoptown coach was on the field.
You must have been about ten feet away from me, because I remember that same guy. :lol: