Chain gang opinion

3ptshooter

2 stories about chain crews- Both were from out in the state as we sent crews out to help out. ONe happened about 12 years ago when the no tobacco rule on the sideline came into effect. It was a point of emphesis with our assigner in Louisville and the linesman we brought with us was a little bull headed- I think he was a lawyer. He was going to enforce that rule along with every other rule. He had his pregame meeting with the crew going over all the things he wanted to see and he mentioned that he never wanted to see anyone smoking on the chain crew during the game. As the home team fell behind, he found out about smokeless tobacco on the back of his pretty white pants. BTW, that leaves a stain and makes the official look like he had diarhea if a good spit hits the right spot. We laughed and made fun of him all the way back home.

The second chain crew story came on a cold night in NOvember for a playoff game in Hickman County. I had on long johns and once the sun went down, it got brutally cold. The first half ended and the chain crew disappeared and came back late-so late that we kicked off the second half and had to wait for them. The game got one sided so I got a chance to talk with these guys. IN order to warm up, they used the half time to chug about a fifth of whiskey. They did their job fine except for many belches and being down wind from them could almost get you intoxicated. There was no way to replace all four of them because as the game got further out of hand, there were fewer fans in the stands and certainly no one was going to leave the comfort of their blankets to come down to work the chains. By the time the game was over, the whiskey had gone right to their heads them and the entire crew was trashed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: they probably looked like this the next morning.... good stories....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your comment leads to another question. I was at the HHS Hoptown game Saturday and some guy next to me was really bent out of shape because the Hoptown coach was on the field.

You mentioned the coach was out on the field...but you didnt mention that he was WAY out on the field. At times he was 5-10 yards past the numbers to give his QB the next play and every time a play ended he was at least out to the numbers.

IMO, the chains should be on the home team's side of the field. It is always a problem keeping the kids behind the white line but it is usually easier for the chain gang to get thru if they are on their own side of the field. They know the kids and the kids know them. Plus, if they yell they get the coaches mad for yelling like they do when they are on the visitors side, which happens often.

Nothing aggravated me more when i helped the Henderson Co football team(98-06) than to put up with a cheering, yelling chain gang. They are officials just like ref's & should do thier job quietly & professionally. If they will not, then by all means put them on the home team side:irked: