Chain gang opinion

3ptshooter

Why would the coaches get mad? If the boys are not stayin back....

Has this been a problem for BW?

Not mad at the kids for not staying back, mad at the chain crew(away game) for yelling encouragements, cheering for their team. They are suppose to be neutral when doing the chains and some of the parents have a hard time keeping the lips closed all the time. There is never a problem playing at home w/the chains. It is always away, when the men doing the chains get a little irritated due to the kids migrating forward infront of the box. Now that they put the chains down on that line, it makes for some trouble. It makes more sense to keep them on the sideline rather than the player box. Anyone know why this was changed?

Did not know the rule regarding the press box, that is great to know.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not mad at the kids for not staying back, mad at the chain crew(away game) for yelling encouragements, cheering for their team. .

Until the ADs decide to pay for netural officials, you have expect a bunch of dads to be supporting their team. I can't imagine a coach having a problem with that.

Until the ADs decide to pay for netural officials, you have expect a bunch of dads to be supporting their team. I can't imagine a coach having a problem with that.

Per the National Federation of State high School Associations (NFHS), 1- members of the chain crew are actually considered officials, not fans. 2-The chains and the official down box shall be placed opposite the press box or "the designated sideline." 3-The crew must refrain from showing any partisan reaction to events taking place on the playing field. 4-Complete concentration of the crew is absolutely necessary. 5-Operating the equipment 6 feet off of the sideline is for the protection of the players, coaches, and all persons who are part of the game.

Actually, I like having the chains 2 yards off of the field. It gives me room to work. I also don't have to worry about running into the chain crew and the chains while I am officiating a play. If the players and coaches get in my way during the game and prevent me from carrying out my duties, I have no problem with giving a sideline warning. It usually works like a charm the first time! :thumb: Also, I would not have a problem removing a chain crew member if they happen to cross the line. We have had several officials who have had to actually do that during a game. Right Offside? :devil:

I always have fun with the boys, Vanny-G. Without the chain crew I'd have never:

Got shot by a cannon.

or Found out how to mix a cajun martini on a tailgate. (Evidently, a potent recipe).

or Broke my arm.

or Learned to say first down in Spanish.

I know it's gonna be a good game if I have a good chain crew. And I know it's gonna be a fun game if I have some characters behind me.

I always have fun with the boys, Vanny-G. Without the chain crew I'd have never:

Got shot by a cannon.

or Found out how to mix a cajun martini on a tailgate. (Evidently, a potent recipe).

or Broke my arm.

or Learned to say first down in Spanish.

I know it's gonna be a good game if I have a good chain crew. And I know it's gonna be a fun game if I have some characters behind me.

:ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper:

Per the National Federation of State high School Associations (NFHS), 1- members of the chain crew are actually considered officials, not fans. l:

Reality says that each school finds their own chain gang. Where do you think they find them? Fans.

I realize what the book says but, as I said before, they're not paid. Its a volunteer chain gang which means they are never neutral in who they support.

Pinch yourself and face reality. Coaches do have a problem w/this because, being human, only hear bits and pieces of what is actually said therefore creating a problem. The coaches get the idea they are calling the plays in to the other team, that's human nature when in the heat of a battle.

As pointed out, they are suppose to keep quiet and if they can't do that well then, they need to stay in the stands and watch from the 10 cent seats.

Should the chain crews get paid, IMO, YES!! Everyone else gets paid for doing something, why not them. I am not positive but our chain crew might get a little something. They have been doing the chains for approx 15yrs. They pay the teachers to take money at the home events, why not the chain gang.

I'm never been an official but have been a coach in that situation. As long as we were coaching, we were given a little lee-way, provided we weren't in the way of the actual play.

Now, as soon as we started "questioning", we were told to get back on the sidelines.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Pinch yourself and face reality. Coaches do have a problem w/this because, being human, only hear bits and pieces of what is actually said therefore creating a problem. The coaches get the idea they are calling the plays in to the other team, that's human nature when in the heat of a battle.

g.

Are you saying that the chain gain listens to the play called and then yells "watch out for the screen pass" to the defense?

Chain crew problems can be easily corrected if you have a good linesman. They will meet the crew, give them their expectations and most of all be neutral. I always explain to them about not yelling for their team and if they have a problem, let me know and I will take care of it. Most of them has a child playing on the team and at times you find problems with confrontations on the sideline. It always goes back to the official on the side.

I also like the chains off the side of the field, I alway work in the white and want the room for my own safety. A good official will not allow coaches onto the field during live ball play. Now, if you are on the 10 going in for a score, most coaches swing around but they are not in our way. Another thing that is discussed with the coaches.

If you have a problem, we should flag it early and not late. Remember, this sideline has a lot of testosterone floating around between the 15 coahces and the 30-70 players on the team.

And yes, chains, opposite of the press box. You can always have the home team to have that sideline as their home team box.....

Chain crew problems can be easily corrected if you have a good linesman. They will meet the crew, give them their expectations and most of all be neutral. I always explain to them about not yelling for their team and if they have a problem, let me know and I will take care of it. Most of them has a child playing on the team and at times you find problems with confrontations on the sideline. It always goes back to the official on the side.

I also like the chains off the side of the field, I alway work in the white and want the room for my own safety. A good official will not allow coaches onto the field during live ball play. Now, if you are on the 10 going in for a score, most coaches swing around but they are not in our way. Another thing that is discussed with the coaches.

If you have a problem, we should flag it early and not late. Remember, this sideline has a lot of testosterone floating around between the 15 coahces and the 30-70 players on the team.

And yes, chains, opposite of the press box. You can always have the home team to have that sideline as their home team box.....

2 stories about chain crews- Both were from out in the state as we sent crews out to help out. ONe happened about 12 years ago when the no tobacco rule on the sideline came into effect. It was a point of emphesis with our assigner in Louisville and the linesman we brought with us was a little bull headed- I think he was a lawyer. He was going to enforce that rule along with every other rule. He had his pregame meeting with the crew going over all the things he wanted to see and he mentioned that he never wanted to see anyone smoking on the chain crew during the game. As the home team fell behind, he found out about smokeless tobacco on the back of his pretty white pants. BTW, that leaves a stain and makes the official look like he had diarhea if a good spit hits the right spot. We laughed and made fun of him all the way back home.

The second chain crew story came on a cold night in NOvember for a playoff game in Hickman County. I had on long johns and once the sun went down, it got brutally cold. The first half ended and the chain crew disappeared and came back late-so late that we kicked off the second half and had to wait for them. The game got one sided so I got a chance to talk with these guys. IN order to warm up, they used the half time to chug about a fifth of whiskey. They did their job fine except for many belches and being down wind from them could almost get you intoxicated. There was no way to replace all four of them because as the game got further out of hand, there were fewer fans in the stands and certainly no one was going to leave the comfort of their blankets to come down to work the chains. By the time the game was over, the whiskey had gone right to their heads them and the entire crew was trashed.