Best quarterback in the state

Lexfball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may not be the best QB "prospect" in the state, but for what a HS QB is supposed to be for their team, there is none better than Clay Cecil of Highlands. Calm, cool, decisive, can run as well as throw...and is a flat-out L-E-A-D-E-R. And being a leader is what being QB is all about.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "best." Do you refer to a winner, a guy who will not let his team lose? Or do you refer to the best pure throwing prospect for colleges, a pocket guy with a cannon arm, even if the rest of his team doesn't help? Or perhaps a Pat White thrower-runner combo?

Certainly, Fields at Frankfort is up to his billing. Some more underrated guys are Matthews at Shelby County and Warf at Metcalfe.

The most underrated QB in the state could be Trent Steelman at Bowling Green. Steelman is a 3-year starter who has completed 70% (60-86) of his passes for 1002 yards and nine touchdowns in five games this season. Steelman also has 237 yards rushing in 2007. For his career, Steelman has over 3,000 yards passing and over 1,000 yards rushing. The Purples have been 29-5 in games Steelman has played in over the past three years.

I'm probably bias also, my question would be who is the 2nd best quarterback in the state? Corey Robinson of Lone Oak has put up some impressive numbers thru 4 games this year. 144-105-3 (Att-Cmp-Int) 72.9 Pct

1452 Yds & 25 Tds. Last Friday night, rallied his team late from a 14 pt deficit & scored the winning Td in OT on a 10 yard Qb draw against a very good Calloway County squad.

After seeing most of these kids at quarterback camps this summer, I concluded that Corey Robinson of Lone Oak and Ryan Phillippi of Henry Clay were the best two quarterbacks in the state of Kentucky. Both good passers, both good athletes, and both have solid quarterback fundamentals. Also, both are on the smallish side in the eyes of college coaches, thus, not getting as much attention as they deserve.

I'll add Alex Matthews of Shelby County, Trent Steelman of Bowling Green, and Will Stein of Trinity to that list based on their performances during the 2007 season.

I'll make a special mention for E.J. Fields of Frankfort who might be the best athlete in the state.

NOTE: I am only basing my picks on seniors in the class of 2008.

Corey Robinson, no question. He has thrown 24 TD passes in 4 games and around 1500 yds. or more. He also has few running touchdowns. This kid has got a cannon!
Robinson has 25 TDs and three interceptions in four games.

Actually, Robinson's game is based more on accuracy than arm strength. And he's mobile enough to scramble, buy his receivers time to get open and hurt the other team with his legs.