Best quarterback in the state

Lexfball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen Frankfort's EJ Fields play. He is a great athelete maybe one of the best high school atheletes in Ky., but he is not the best QB. The kid from LCA is pretty darn good, and no one is talking about him.

Lucas Whitt at Lexington Christian Academy is doing a nice job at quarterback, but is only a sophomore. My list is for senior quarterbacks. The position takes a lot of seasoning and I am of the opinion, for that reason, that the best will come from the senior class.

If Lucas keeps improving, he will be on that list in due time.

Corey Robinson, no question. He has thrown 24 TD passes in 4 games and around 1500 yds. or more. He also has few running touchdowns. This kid has got a cannon!

Corey Robinson's statistics blow all other quarterback in the state away.

Why there is, in fact, some question is because his competition does not blow anyone away. Not his fault, but he has played and will play against very suspect competition during this regular season.

I have not seen many teams this year, but I will agree that Corey Robinson from Lone Oak has to be in this discussion. I do feel that his stats might be a bit inflated because of the schedule, but he is very talented and a better athlete than I thought he would be.

The most underrated QB in the state could be Trent Steelman at Bowling Green. Steelman is a 3-year starter who has completed 70% (60-86) of his passes for 1002 yards and nine touchdowns in five games this season. Steelman also has 237 yards rushing in 2007. For his career, Steelman has over 3,000 yards passing and over 1,000 yards rushing. The Purples have been 29-5 in games Steelman has played in over the past three years.

I agree. Steelman is a player.

I am going to throw one of our local guys in the fray. Chris Muse of Pulaski Co., may be a year away from being the "best" in state but hard to argue with what he has done so far this year in taking a team that had won 4 games the previous 2 years to being undefeated this year. He is very athletic, fast, and an accurate passer but to me his best trait is the kid makes great decisions. He just does not make mistakes and does not put them in negative situations. As a Somerset fan I cannot wait to watch him the rest of his high school career.

After seeing most of these kids at quarterback camps this summer, I concluded that Corey Robinson of Lone Oak and Ryan Phillippi of Henry Clay were the best two quarterbacks in the state of Kentucky. Both good passers, both good athletes, and both have solid quarterback fundamentals. Also, both are on the smallish side in the eyes of college coaches, thus, not getting as much attention as they deserve.

NOTE: I am only basing my picks on seniors in the class of 2008.

I think the best I've seen this year has been Ryan Phillippi folllowed by TJ Pryor. I think Joey Harness had an off night because I have seen him play better. I think all three will be top factors on some college recruiting lists for Kentucky.

Will Stein has the most impressive stats thus far. So I'll go with my boy Stein!

Will Stein's statistics can not touch those of Corey Robinson of Lone Oak.

The competition he has played against is certainly much tougher, though.

Will is having a great season for the Rocks. What is it they say, "The great programs just reload".

Richie Cox from Mason County is the most underrated. Not a lot of high school press but he has DI coaches noticing him. He is a rare combination of leadership, intelligence, power, and speed. Let me clarify Leadership - Mason is 4-1 with 1 turnover in 5 games including Boone County. Intelligence reads D's and scored a 30 on his ACT on one try. Power- 355 Bench, 505 Squat Speed- 4.56 40, 4.21 Pro-Shuttle. (These are all on the record Board in Mason.) Ask any coach who has coached against him he is for real.:sssh:

Richie Cox from Mason County is the most underrated. Not a lot of high school press but he has DI coaches noticing him. He is a rare combination of leadership, intelligence, power, and speed. Let me clarify Leadership - Mason is 4-1 with 1 turnover in 5 games including Boone County. Intelligence reads D's and scored a 30 on his ACT on one try. Power- 355 Bench, 505 Squat Speed- 4.56 40, 4.21 Pro-Shuttle. (These are all on the record Board in Mason.) Ask any coach who has coached against him he is for real.:sssh:

With his strength, he sounds like more of a linebacker prospect than a quarterback.

How big is Richie Cox right now? He has great strength and good times.

What is his future projected position? The 30 on the ACT will open a lot of doors at some of the top football playing academic institutions.

I don't know about best, but toughest quarterback might very well be Kaleb Curtis from Montgomery Co. This kid gets the job done running, throwing, whatever it takes.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Kaleb Curtis play, but he does get some respect in Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald-Leader's blog:

http://fieldsnotes.wordpress.com/page/3/

Looks like a "do what it takes to win football games" type of guy.

With his strength, he sounds like more of a linebacker prospect than a quarterback.

How big is Richie Cox right now? He has great strength and good times.

What is his future projected position? The 30 on the ACT will open a lot of doors at some of the top football playing academic institutions.

Half the DI schools are looking at him at QB, the other half are looking at him at SS. He is 6'4", 210 lbs. Schools that I know of are Kentucky, Louisville, Illinois, Northwestern, Duke, Western Kentucky, Eastern K., Army, Navy, Mac Schools, Ivy League schools, etc.:thumb: