Did anyone see the halftime interview with Lynn Ray?

theguru

I can't say I remeber the exact offense Highlands ran in 1997 but they typically are not a line up and run over you team. They use their speed and athleticism to run through you. After all didn't that Offense put up something like 35 points. My theory is do what you do, because when you try to run offense that isn't your specialty you are asking for trouble. This was one rare occasion where things didn't work out for Highlands. I think they rebounded ok the next few years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how many years after the Mud Bowl did HHS get the Turf to make sure that that type of game when never be played at HHS again?

After that game the entire field was replaced with Bermuda. The field turf has only been down for a few years.

A small piece of that Bermuda grass from the old field is now taking over my front yard.:D

I watched the interview and you could still see the fire in him when he talked about the rival between Cov Cath and Highlands. He said it was the best rival game in the state but I also agree the X/T games seem to be the biggest. But as far as NKY Cov Cath and Highlands has to be the biggest IMO.

Are you serious....he coached CCH from almost the beginning of the program until the early part of this decade.....he was the winning coach in I believe all but 2 of CCH's 19 wins overall against the Birds.:fight:

You are Right. I was mistakenly using his record during Dale's tenure.

Sorry bout that. Can you or someone else on BGP post his overall record against the Birds.

Can remember the game quite well, and I too at the time and still today, couldn't understand why HHS choose to allow CovCath to stay in the game by throwing the ball instead of running it.... Seems some are just upset by Coach Ray speaking, what he felt was the truth, when he was asked a question. Now if someone can come up with a better explanation of why HHS passed so much instead of running the ball in that game, then I am all ears....until then, I will go with Coach Ray opinion....

Funny but the question I saw did not ask about running up the score...I believe the question asked was about the rivalry and big games in the rivalry like the mud bowl. His jab was thrown for no reason other than spite. But I'm sure losing to Dale as often as he did could leave a bad taste....

Here is the way I look at this comment.

Everyone knows Dale likes to score as many points as possible (Who Doesn't. He just isn't as concerned about the other teams mindset as some coaches) and most people realize there have been games where Dale could have done things to prevent the 88-12, 81-0 70-25's but that isn't his style. So if Lynn Ray points out that by Dale trying to score as many points as he could came back to bite him so be it. (It is the Truth) I said it in an earlier post This was the one time it came back to bite him. I think If Lynn Ray says Because Dale tried to score as many points as he possibly could we were able to get back in the game, Instead of saying Run up the score. This thread probably wouldn't exist.

Move on it has been 10 years

Cov. Cath won the State Championship.

Got to love the Ru for wanting to stir up the pot a little.:D

I saw the interview. While I don't think Coach Ray needed to say what he did, it really didn't bother me all that much. I disagree with his conclusion that Dale was trying to run it up by passing and that's what cost Highlands the game; rather, in my opinion, Dale was showing nothing but respect to CovCath. He knew CovCath had a very good team that year and that CovCath had the potential to come back in the second half. As most seasoned fans on here know, Highlands hasn't played power football for years so pounding out first downs in the mud wasn't a real alternative. For quite a few years (certainly under Mueller) its been focused on quickness and the pass. Hard to use quickness and trap in the mud. Thus, if we were going to continue to score (and yes, Virginia, it was only logical to presume that CovCath was going to score in the second half) it was necessary for us to continue to score in the second half. Looking back, its easy to second guess Dale for throwing the ball and stopping the clock. Then again, if your best offense is throwing the ball, you throw it. That game it didn't work out. In 05 throwing the ball worked very well. Rather than Ray thinking Dale was trying to run it up, I wish he'd have taken it the way it was: respect for CovCath's team that year and their ability to come back in the second half.

As most seasoned fans on here know, Highlands hasn't played power football for years so pounding out first downs in the mud wasn't a real alternative. For quite a few years (certainly under Mueller) its been focused on quickness and the pass. Hard to use quickness and trap in the mud. Thus, if we were going to continue to score (and yes, Virginia, it was only logical to presume that CovCath was going to score in the second half) it was necessary for us to continue to score in the second half. Looking back, its easy to second guess Dale for throwing the ball and stopping the clock. Then again, if your best offense is throwing the ball, you throw it. That game it didn't work out.

To put this in perspective. Earlier that year Highlands had built a huge lead in the 1st half on CovCath and CovCath came back to make it like a 10 pt. win for Highlands. With that in mind, I can see what you are saying. However, even later in the year, in the 2nd round of the playoffs, Ben Pogue ran for over 100 yards. Ben was a very hard runner, and Highlands O-Line had a tackle that went on a full ride to Ohio State, and another that played at Harvard. This was the 1st year of getting away from the split backfield that Mueller had used w/ Frisk and Lickert. If I have a DI tackle who is 6'5" 280 lbs next to a 6'6" 235 lbs. tight end (Smith), I run Pogue behind them and make CovCath stop them. Afterall, CovCath's MLB was playing with no shoulders. Whether it is your game or not, you have to keep the clock running.

As most seasoned fans on here know, Highlands hasn't played power football for years so pounding out first downs in the mud wasn't a real alternative. For quite a few years (certainly under Mueller) its been focused on quickness and the pass. Hard to use quickness and trap in the mud. Thus, if we were going to continue to score (and yes, Virginia, it was only logical to presume that CovCath was going to score in the second half) it was necessary for us to continue to score in the second half. Looking back, its easy to second guess Dale for throwing the ball and stopping the clock. Then again, if your best offense is throwing the ball, you throw it. That game it didn't work out.

To put this in perspective. Earlier that year Highlands had built a huge lead in the 1st half on CovCath and CovCath came back to make it like a 10 pt. win for Highlands. With that in mind, I can see what you are saying. However, even later in the year, in the 2nd round of the playoffs, Ben Pogue ran for over 100 yards. Ben was a very hard runner, and Highlands O-Line had a tackle that went on a full ride to Ohio State, and another that played at Harvard. This was the 1st year of getting away from the split backfield that Mueller had used w/ Frisk and Lickert. If I have a DI tackle who is 6'5" 280 lbs next to a 6'6" 235 lbs. tight end (Smith), I run Pogue behind them and make CovCath stop them. Afterall, CovCath's MLB was playing with no shoulders. Whether it is your game or not, you have to keep the clock running.

I have a response to that, but since it would come across as somewhat critical of the Highlands players you mentioned, I'll not make it. Just know one thing, that if Dale felt he had a power game that would work against CovCath in the mud, he'd have run it. If you really know anything about Dale (not the silliness that's posted on here from time to time), beating CovCath is critically important to him. If there is one coach who knows his talent and what they can and can't do successfully (heck, he changes his offense sometimes every year based on the type of talent he has), its Dale Mueller.

I agree. I saw the interview; but didn't catch the quote being referenced here. But if he said these things, I think it reflects poorly on him.

As for the biggest rivalry, T/X may be the biggest in shear numbers of fans involved; but the HHS/Cov Cath battle matches it completely in importance, passion, and state-wide interest. In fact, with the general dislike for both "all things Louisville", and (more recently) "all things private school," it could be argued that the HHS/Cov Cath rivalry carries a slight edge in state-wide interest.

I think the little rivalry they have down in Danville could match these two as well.

I have a response to that, but since it would come across as somewhat critical of the Highlands players you mentioned, I'll not make it. Just know one thing, that if Dale felt he had a power game that would work against CovCath in the mud, he'd have run it. If you really know anything about Dale (not the silliness that's posted on here from time to time), beating CovCath is critically important to him. If there is one coach who knows his talent and what they can and can't do successfully (heck, he changes his offense sometimes every year based on the type of talent he has), its Dale Mueller.
On the money! :thumb: