Did anyone see the halftime interview with Lynn Ray?

theguru

That forever will be Coaches Mueller's and Schrader's worst game in their tenure at Highlands. Why they didn't run Ben Pogue behind Kunhein in the second half is beyond me. That and CovCath just flat out wanted it.

Your right, run the ball, run the clock, and keep CovCath off the field the birds could have put a 1997 state championship on the score board.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think it is sad for anyone to be still upset about a game that happened years ago. He had a chance to be the elder statesman of Cov Cath football and high school sports but choose to be less than statesman like. I thought it made him look very petty and may have tarnished his image with some.

I was enjoying the interview until the "running up the clock comment." As much as I respect any coach who puts all that time into coaching and into developing our kids, Coach Ray had a chance to make the interview a reflection of all his years of dedication to the school and to the sport of football. Instead he chose to get an insult into the media just like he did more times than not after a HHS loss.

A good man indeed... just needs to think before spilling out his true feelings with the media.

That forever will be Coaches Mueller's and Schrader's worst game in their tenure at Highlands. Why they didn't run Ben Pogue behind Kunhein in the second half is beyond me. That and CovCath just flat out wanted it.

Can remember the game quite well, and I too at the time and still today, couldn't understand why HHS choose to allow CovCath to stay in the game by throwing the ball instead of running it.... Seems some are just upset by Coach Ray speaking, what he felt was the truth, when he was asked a question. Now if someone can come up with a better explanation of why HHS passed so much instead of running the ball in that game, then I am all ears....until then, I will go with Coach Ray opinion....

I just wish Coach Ray would come back for an encore season or two. What was he? 2 and 20 something in his tenure against the Birds?

Are you serious....he coached CCH from almost the beginning of the program until the early part of this decade.....he was the winning coach in I believe all but 2 of CCH's 19 wins overall against the Birds.:fight:

What do you guys expect, we didn't honor him during his 'farewell tour'...

Well, except for the result of the game...

You would think someone who is thought of as a wise football coach would know that they called it "The Mud Bowl" for a reason -- it was muddy! In sloppy mud, running the ball wouldn't have made sense. Not only the mud, but Cov Cath was bigger than us, so we wouldn't have been effective running the ball. Add in a great QB, and passing doesn't seem like such a bad choice afterall. It sure as heck didn't have anything to do with "running up the score." :rolleyes:

You would think someone who is thought of as a wise football coach would know that they called it "The Mud Bowl" for a reason -- it was muddy! In sloppy mud, running the ball wouldn't have made sense.

Throwing a muddy ball makes sense?

Personally I think it is sad for anyone to be still upset about a game that happened years ago. He had a chance to be the elder statesman of Cov Cath football and high school sports but choose to be less than statesman like. I thought it made him look very petty and may have tarnished his image with some.

Only Highlands fans.

You would think someone who is thought of as a wise football coach would know that they called it "The Mud Bowl" for a reason -- it was muddy! In sloppy mud, running the ball wouldn't have made sense. Not only the mud, but Cov Cath was bigger than us, so we wouldn't have been effective running the ball. Add in a great QB, and passing doesn't seem like such a bad choice afterall. It sure as heck didn't have anything to do with "running up the score." :rolleyes:

Wow. Who knew? All of these years of teams being skeptical of a passing game in 3 inches of mud. Some of the great minds of football somehow missed something as obvious the above.

Geez, BF, lucky Bill O'Reilly's not here. That's some serious spin.

Wow. Who knew? All of these years of teams being skeptical of a passing game in 3 inches of mud. Some of the great minds of football somehow missed something as obvious the above.

Geez, BF, lucky Bill O'Reilly's not here. That's some serious spin.

No, it just seems to make sense. It wasn't wet. It wasn't muddy. It was like a swamp....and not the part that's easy to walk on either! :p

But seriously, it was a wise choice because, as I remember it, the Cov Cath linemen were huge. They were pushing us all over the place.