Did anyone see the halftime interview with Lynn Ray?

theguru

To put this in perspective. Earlier that year Highlands had built a huge lead in the 1st half on CovCath and CovCath came back to make it like a 10 pt. win for Highlands. With that in mind, I can see what you are saying. However, even later in the year, in the 2nd round of the playoffs, Ben Pogue ran for over 100 yards. Ben was a very hard runner, and Highlands O-Line had a tackle that went on a full ride to Ohio State, and another that played at Harvard. This was the 1st year of getting away from the split backfield that Mueller had used w/ Frisk and Lickert. If I have a DI tackle who is 6'5" 280 lbs next to a 6'6" 235 lbs. tight end (Smith), I run Pogue behind them and make CovCath stop them. Afterall, CovCath's MLB was playing with no shoulders. Whether it is your game or not, you have to keep the clock running.

Incorrect.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what criteria?

If you're evaluating a rivalry based on ferocity and the success of the two programs, it would be hard to top Danville and Boyle County.

You are right but I would top it with T/X, and HHS/CCH. All teams involved can match the success of these 2 teams the only difference is in the other 2 games there is no way for both teams to win state in the same year.

The Danville-Boyle County rivalry is definitely one of the state's best, as in recent years it has pitted two outstanding teams from the same relatively small city, both of which often go on to win state titles. Also, the games are usually very competitive, a sure sign of a great rivalry!

Ok, I watched the replay of the game last night on ICN6 and saw the interview in question. In my personal opinion, I can see where many might think Coach Ray took a shot at HHS and Coach Mueller but he answered the question and in "his" opinion the reason he thought they we're passing still in the 2nd half was to put more points on the board and maybe try and make the game a blow out. Nothing wrong with HHS doing that, nothing wrong with winning a game decisively. Now I can understand where Coach Ray is coming from because in this intense rivalry, there is a lot of emotion involved and I'm sure there is always someone out there accusing HHS of "running up the score," and it just so happened it was COach Ray. Now, I don't think the man is still bitter. He got a few "sweet" wins vs HHS, and now the man plays golf all summer and teaches full time. It looked to me that COach Ray looked younger than when I had him as a teacher and a whole lot less stressed out too, so good for him. Now for those of us that know Coach Ray, I think we can all say that he's a laidback, sometimes intense man with a very good sense of humor. With that being said, I'd have to come to the conclusion that this was no big deal, just one man stating his opinion, just like I and I hope and pray we can all respect that and move on.

I'm not saying that Danville-Boyle County is the biggest rivalry in the state, only that it's on par with Highlands-Covington Catholic. I certainly think it deserves more than Birdsfan's summary dismissal of it.

I would put HHS-CCH game higher for the fact that it almost always determined home field advantage for the playoffs and which team would ultimately get to the championship game ( and usually win it). Other than that I would have them equal.

Funny but the question I saw did not ask about running up the score...I believe the question asked was about the rivalry and big games in the rivalry like the mud bowl. His jab was thrown for no reason other than spite. But I'm sure losing to Dale as often as he did could leave a bad taste....

After a repeated butt whooping from the Birds, Ray would always have a negative comment towards the HHS squad in the morning paper. He would never say anything complimentary about the squad that just beat his team - he chose to slide in remarks that simply infuriated the HHS faithfull. IMO, that is why the Ft Thomas fans have such ill feelings towards Ray. He simply continued his ways in the Saturday interview.

I am sure we will hear the same remark next year when Ray is interviewed 'bout his greatest win....

After a repeated butt whooping from the Birds, Ray would always have a negative comment towards the HHS squad in the morning paper. He would never say anything complimentary about the squad that just beat his team - he chose to slide in remarks that simply infuriated the HHS faithfull. IMO, that is why the Ft Thomas fans have such ill feelings towards Ray. He simply continued his ways in the Saturday interview.

I am sure we will hear the same remark next year when Ray is interviewed 'bout his greatest win....

Coach Ray's feeling about Highlands goes back farther than Dale. Remember, he went to Boone County High school as a kid. Also, I'm pretty sure that there was a coach before Dale that might have soured him against Highlands more than any other.

Coach Ray's feeling about Highlands goes back farther than Dale. Remember, he went to Boone County High school as a kid. Also, I'm pretty sure that there was a coach before Dale that might have soured him against Highlands more than any other.

I don't know why Ray would be soured by "the coach before Dale". Heck I remember a Cov. Cath. vs. Highlands game in those years when Highlands didn't even get a first down.:lol::D:irked: