Dear KHSAA,

Ram

I would rather have an extra week of playoffs than a power ranking system that will NEVER be looked at as fair through out the state. Let's play it out on the field, I would not mind seeing 3 teams per district in the playoffs with the regular season winner getting a first week bye.

IMO KY high school football is better now than at any time in it's history. While we may not be as good as "Mighty OHIO" football, I think KY football is in great shape right now. Maybe 6 classes isn't the answer, but I am proud of where KY HS football is right now and I think it will only get better.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that say, "You take away the accomplishment of making the playoffs if more teams make the playoffs." I have a question, is the basketball or baseball season less of an accomplishment because all teams make the district tournament?

I just can't buy into the argument that more teams making the post-season is NOT better...

IMO, although they're rare, that's what makes major upsets even sweeter...ie CCH losing to Ludlow in the baseball districts a few years ago...

I honestly don't feel the KHSAA is too concerned about improving the quality of play of their member schools. I'm sure all that matters to them is the almighty dollar, and cutting the number of schools that make the playoffs isn't something that's going to help generate money.

If this statement were true, wouldn't there be class systems for ALL Ky sports? Basketball included!

In 1999 Somerset was 1-3 in district play loosing to Danville, Harrodsburg and Campbellsville by a combined score of 18-98. Once in the playoffs we came back to beat Campbellsville and Danville on the way to winning the Region Title. This I think is a great example of why it is not the worst thing in the world if all teams make the playoffs.

IMO the KHSAA does not really care about football. Their main concern is basketball. But with the decline of UK basketball and the Cats being #21 in the nation in football, maybe the KHSAA will realize Kentucky can be a football state.

In terms of high school sports, KY is in know way a 'basketball state'...IMO.

This website and others like it thrive because of football. Comparing the forums and interest it isn't even close. Honestly, the 'basketball state' moniker drives me nuts...

Not in favor of the most remote possibility of having playoff eligibility or seeding determined by your opponents' performance. One of the flaws in the BCS, IMO. In a college analogy, should you be penalized because you schedule Notre Dame and Michigan, only to find that they both stink this year?
Yes. When you're rating strength of schedule, the only thing that matters is how good the teams are on the field.

I think we have been constructive so far, and we have come up with some likes and dislikes.

After consideration, I have decided to change some terminology in my proposal, and to clarify some things.

First, my proposal for the Power Ranking is only supposed to be used to break ties between the second and third place team to make the playoffs, not like Ohio where the Power Ranking is the only basis for making the playoffs.

Second, we will change the Power Ranking to a point system, since so many disapprove of it. We will use a Point System to break ties instead. In the event of a tie. The first tie breaker will be points awarded for district wins. Second tie breaker will be a teams total wins versus the other tied teams total wins. In the event that there is still a tie, then we will use the total wins of the teams opponents. This method will only be used in the event of a tie for second and third place in a district to determine the two teams that make the playoffs.

Tie Breaker:

1 point for every district win. If still tied.

1 point for every regular season win. If still tied.

1 point for every win of every opponent.

I have no problem with everyone making the playoffs. You play every game to get ready for the playoffs and saying a win doesn't matter to these kids and coaches is absolutely false. The kids still play hard and coaches still work hard all year long, and if they happen to go 0-10 and make the playoffs what do they get out of it. They get a chance to go play the number one team in their district at home and get blown out, so if you are the #1 team and get an easy game, that is what you have played all year long for, a chance for an easy game to get to the next round of the playoffs.

We could change to the top 4 or 5 teams in each district, which would also be fine, but in case of a tie, please do not use a points system.(as mentioned above, college football is an awful example of how to use a points system) If it's a district game, they should of played head to head, the two teams that are tied, whoever won the head to head game gets the playoffs! Simple as that. You should have to play everyone in your district. That would take care of ties.

The 6 class system is fine how it is for now, lets at least give it a year before we try and tear it apart. So we have 6 state champs, that makes 6 schools and their players very happy!

Also I would like to see a couple more weeks added on and play those 6 champs against each other to get an overall State Champ! We could play those games in COMMONWEALTH STADIUM, maybe. We have the All A state champ in Basketball and other sports, then they get a chance to win the actual STATE CHAMP title as well. I would like to see us do that for our football teams too. Yes saying you won the 3A or 4A state championship game will be great, but to say you are the overall state champ in Kentucky would be an amazing accomplishment, just like in basketball!

Now, we have done away with the Power Ranking and replaced it with a Point System for tie breakers only. That seemed to be a focus point.

We have:

For my proposal in some fashion.............Against my proposal in some fashion

Ram......................................................HT721

HATZ....................................................leatherneck

oldrambler.............................................giantkiller

Against the Power Ranking (which is no more)

strongopenyon

mcpapa

answerthebell

Jumper Dad

westsider

Want to go back to the 2005 format

westsider

strongopenyon

futurecoach

Some new ideas:

Bulldog51 - A team must win at least 6 games to make playoffs.

stickymitts/Jumper Dad - Everyone makes playoffs and see who wins in a tournoment type set up.

So the biggest obstacle, the Power Ranking, is gone. What further suggestions do you have to improve the playoff format. I understand that some wish to keep it the same as it is, but this is basically a topic for change and to receive ideas for that change.

If we keep the six class system, how many teams should make the playoffs?

If we go back to four classes, how many teams should make the playoffs?

Should the first round be inter-district or intra-district?

Should there be neutral sites, or alternating sites, or the site of the team with the higher ranking?

We are in an awkward position right now as while most teams will make the playoffs, we can't argue that all make it when if they are in a 5 team district, somebody will not make it. I think around 50% making it is a good number. Either 50 or 100%, not much for where we are (around 80%) right now. But then again, I don't like everyone making the playoffs in every sport.

We are in an awkward position right now as while most teams will make the playoffs, we can't argue that all make it when if they are in a 5 team district, somebody will not make it. I think around 50% making it is a good number. Either 50 or 100%, not much for where we are (around 80%) right now. But then again, I don't like everyone making the playoffs in every sport.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on, only one 2A team not making the playoffs this year. One team. I agree that around 50% should make the playoffs. With two teams from each district, I would say that would be between 40% and 50%. If you could make the playoffs, you could at least say you were in the top 50% of your class.

Now, we have done away with the Power Ranking and replaced it with a Point System for tie breakers only. That seemed to be a focus point.
I'm inclined to go against any playoff format that uses power rankings and/or some kind of point system to determine who advances to the postseason.

Kentucky's district system is the way to go, but the number of classes and number of teams getting to the playoffs are too high.