Griffey: "I want to retire a Mariner"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it for what you will. Who knows whether that means a trade back there or a one day contract in order to retire there. Guess that puts to rest any speculation about him going to the HOF as a Red!

He shouldn't have went into the Hall of Fame as anything but a Mariner anyway. I'm guessing he was thinking more along the lines of a one day contract though.

^ I'm sure he was too but when he first came to cincy I'm sure some people thought that at the time he would have broke the homerun record as a Red and maybe he would have retired "at home" in Cincy as a Red. It won't happen now but when he first signed I'm sure some people thought that.

Guess that puts to rest any speculation about him going to the HOF as a Red!

Griffey's wishes are not taken into account by the Hall. They have an executive committee that decides what hat a player will wear when he enters the HOF.

If not, you'd have Wade Boggs selling his "rights" to the Devil Rays. The HOF is not going to turn it into a mockery.

Jr will enter as a Mariner regardless of what happens from now until the end of his career.

I thought the players had some sort of say in what team they were entered into the HOF under?

That used to be the case. It changed early in this decade. Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met but the Hall put him in as an Expo. The player can voice his opinion but the HOF has final say.

Can you blame him for wanting to go back to Seattle? They boo their own pitcher because he threw over to first twice instead of pitching to Griffey. They gave him a ceremony better than most when they retire. He's the Babe Ruth of Mariner baseball and is treated like it...

In Cincy he could hit two home runs and get booed for jogging to first on a ground ball to the pitcher...

Can you blame him for wanting to go back to Seattle? They boo their own pitcher because he threw over to first twice instead of pitching to Griffey. They gave him a ceremony better than most when they retire. He's the Babe Ruth of Mariner baseball and is treated like it...

In Cincy he could hit two home runs and get booed for jogging to first on a ground ball to the pitcher...

Agree he should go in as an M as you can see from my previous post. But Cincy is a different town. Different work ethic and values. We have always loved hustle. Ryan Freel will go down as a Reds hero for many why?

I think they're just cheering him because of all the good players they got when they traded him...