Griffey: "I want to retire a Mariner"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Cameron, Brett Tomko, Antonio Pérez, and Jake Meyer

Cameron played 4 years.

Tomko 2 seasons, 10-6, ERA near 5, only pitched around 125 innings in 2 years. Used more of a reliever, I believe made around 12 starts in 2 years.

I don't believe Antonio Perez or Jake Meyer ever made it to Seattle. As far as playing for the major league team.

Can one of those "many" please step forward? Ryan Freel...a hero? What is this world coming to? He is a scrappy little extra player that maximizes his ability....great. Not a hero for Heaven's sake.

Those must be the 'knowledgeable' baseball fans in the Cincinnati area...:rolleyes:

As selfish as I'd like to be and be able to see Griffey play at GABP for eternity, I honestly hope he gets to retire as a Mariner (or anywhere else for that matter). Two reasons: The Reds will not contend under this general management, and he hasn't gotten/doesn't get near the amount of respect that he should from fans/media.

As selfish as I'd like to be and be able to see Griffey play at GABP for eternity, I honestly hope he gets to retire as a Mariner (or anywhere else for that matter). Two reasons: The Reds will not contend under this general management, and he hasn't gotten/doesn't get near the amount of respect that he should from fans/media.

:scared:

What is your basis for saying such an OUTLANDISH THING!?

:lol:

How in the world did the M's not win a WS with the team they had??

I was thinking the same thing, look at the starting lineup for that team that won 116 games in 2001.

Dan Wilson catching.

Olerud at first.

Bret Boone at 2nd.

David Bell at 3rd.

Carlos Guillen at short

outfield of Al Martin, Ichiro and Cameron

Edgar Martinez your DH

Pitching staff:

Paul Abbott

Freddy Garcia

John Halama

Jamie Moyer

Aaron Sele

and you had that Charlton guy down in the pen.

From 1996-1999 they had A-Rod and Griffey on the same team, not to mention some pitcher named Randy Johnson. The talent they had and never got to the World Series.

The other players as mentioned and what all their saved $$$$ got them...

Am I wrong or was it not considered a master stroke by the M's???

Money saved for A Rod that ended up going to Ichiro. Nice exchange that has them in a similar spot as the Reds. Haven't won anything...

Good for Griffey. I hope he gets to retire in a city that appreciates him. If I recall correctly, Griffey asked to be traded from Seattle, and they still give the guy a hero's welcome when he comes back. He deserves to go out in a place like that.

This was something a caller on Lance's show yesterday brought up and I agreed completely.....The city of Cincinnati worships a loser of a person like Pete Rose, and yet they treat a guy who is all about helping out kids and family, like garbage. I think it says a lot about the type of "fans" this city has.

This was something a caller on Lance's show yesterday brought up and I agreed completely.....The city of Cincinnati worships a loser of a person like Pete Rose, and yet they treat a guy who is all about helping out kids and family, like garbage. I think it says a lot about the type of "fans" this city has.

I'll buy the above PARTLY. However, Junior shares in the blame as he has zero personality when talking to the media. He's thin-skinned. He shows no love(heck, even "like") for his hometown unlike Pete did. Add in the perception of not caring and not always hustling and you've got a guy that had made it difficult for fans to feel like they know him and this leads to a lack of "love."

^ I don't mean now, but him saying when he was traded to cincy "I'm home". And if he continued his success and set/broke many records as a Red, including the Homerun record do you not think some Reds fans would think he should enter as a Red?