Best/worst coaches in NKY?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Highlands fan I would be quite happy if Cov. Cath. gave Listerman a lifetime contract. :D

Surely, you jest. The other day in the Enquirer he was quoted as stating (and I'm paraphrasing: "We (CCH) don't have a team...we have a PROGRAM. We play all our players early and often to be prepared for an illness/injury so players are ready to step in and assume a role." He obviously GETS IT! Learning from the apron strings of Kenny Shields on how to build and maintain a PROGRAM. CovCath's Basketball Program is to the point where it "recruits" for itself...much like the HHS football program. Kids want to be with a winner and Mike has ALWAYS been THAT!

I would like to add Jon Jones of Gallatin Co. into the mix. I think he does a great job year in, year out.

You beat me to it. Jon is a great coach and has done unbeleivable things at Gallatin, a very small school. If you consider them Northern KY, then you will have to consider Jon Jones as one of the best coaches in the NKY region.

Surely, you jest. The other day in the Enquirer he was quoted as stating (and I'm paraphrasing: "We (CCH) don't have a team...we have a PROGRAM. We play all our players early and often to be prepared for an illness/injury so players are ready to step in and assume a role." He obviously GETS IT! Learning from the apron strings of Kenny Shields on how to build and maintain a PROGRAM. CovCath's Basketball Program is to the point where it "recruits" for itself...much like the HHS football program. Kids want to be with a winner and Mike has ALWAYS been THAT!

:thumb: Right on with the point of kids wanting to go there. Programs in NKY have fallen way behind the benchmark set at CCH in basketball. Like coach Shields, Coach List is a coach that has a personal investment in every kid in the program. Personally Coach List is at the top of my list of people that had positive influence on this poster.

I'm assuming that you're starting this thread because CovCath dominates. If CovCath is so far ahead in talent from the rest of the region, why does a lot of the credit go to the coaches? I'm sure you can say that Holmes has talent and doesn't blow people out, but the kids from CovCath, quite honestly, have a lot let pressure in their everyday lives then those Holmes kids do. It's no wonder they have a better basketball mentality. I think most anyone could win 20 games with the Nestheides, Votels, Jacobs, Tierneys, and so many other phenomenal players that CovCath has had since 2000.

Please elaborate on what kinds of pressures kids from Park Hills have on them that kids from Inner-City Covington don't have. Am I missing something?

Remember, CCH gets the 8-9 best players from about 5 local grade schools plus a couple extra kids. It is a lot easier to be a "good coach" when you have that kind of talent He still has to manage this talent. Overall he does a good job..

Mike Code, IMO, is by far the best coach in NKY... Faust, Schlarman, and Carr are also very good.

I would say Code is by far the best, but I think these four (4) are certainly the cream of the crop.

I like Henley (sp) too in a situation that is not always easy.

How can a coach be deemed "good" or "bad" when obviously the talent level they are entrusted with is not in their control?

Some coaches listed as "good" have the benefit of good talent and would struggle at a school with not-as-good talent. Some coaches at losing programs thereby being deemed "bad" would love to coach at a school where the talent was better and would now do a "good" job.

I find it odd that a coach will go 25-5 with great talent and be deemed "good" and then the next year will take a team with terrible talent and go 16-14 and be deemed "bad".

How can a coach be deemed "good" or "bad" when obviously the talent level they are entrusted with is not in their control?

Some coaches listed as "good" have the benefit of good talent and would struggle at a school with not-as-good talent. Some coaches at losing programs thereby being deemed "bad" would love to coach at a school where the talent was better and would now do a "good" job.

I find it odd that a coach will go 25-5 with great talent and be deemed "good" and then the next year will take a team with terrible talent and go 16-14 and be deemed "bad".

It is what they do with the talent they have, If a coach acheives or over acheives, they are deemed sucessful, no matter the record.