Why is it that you love high school football so much?

kydlineguy

I can tell you why I do, I had such an awesome experiance playing for the high school coaches I played for. We had good winning teams and now it is something that I wish every high school player could experiance!

I remember the practices more than I do the games. I remember my teammates better than I do the scores. I remember my coaches more than my own classmates. I can honestly say that my coaches and teammates did more to prepare me for life than any other thing or experiance.

:thumb: :thumb: Excellent post!!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love high school football because of what my son gained from it and how much he loved it. But, it's more than just high school football, it's every team he played on from 3rd grade flag to his last days on the Trinity team. He absolutely lived and breathed football, and if not for the lessons learned throughout all those years, taught by many different coaches, I'm not sure how well he'd have adjusted to having his football days cut short. As it is, thanks to some very special coaches and teammates he has found ways to make lemonade out of lemons and never regret a day of his life that he was involved in football.

:thumb: :thumb: Great post Rockmom. Your comments about your son's feelings and what he has become is a prime example of what high school football is about.

For me its all about lining up beside your brothers working together for one common goal, that being victory. Football players are the worlds largest fraternity. I still look back on that time and remember how I would pick up my teammates and vice versa, and how my coaches made me into the man I am today. I still get that butterflies feeling in the pit of my stomach everytime the kick off a game at JC.

Football is the greatest sport there is...High School football is the greatest sport in its purest form. If it wasn't for High School football none of us would be on this wonderful site. High School Football has brought all of us way more than we could ever give back to it.

I can tell you why I do, I had such an awesome experiance playing for the high school coaches I played for. We had good winning teams and now it is something that I wish every high school player could experiance!

I remember the practices more than I do the games. I remember my teammates better than I do the scores. I remember my coaches more than my own classmates. I can honestly say that my coaches and teammates did more to prepare me for life than any other thing or experiance.

Well said. nice job!

From a zebra's point of view:

It's standing on the field listening to the National Anthem with your eyes closed and your hat over your heart and butterflies in your stomach.

It's walking onto the field and seeing the relieved look on the face of a coach that knows he's got a great crew tonight.

It's the long drive to the game reviewing every detail of rules and mechanics and yet having time for a joke or two.

It's walking around the school or stadium looking for your locker room because the AD forgot to have someone meet you.

It's every story that begins with, "remember when..."

It's the genuine look of concern on your crew mates faces when one of your brothers has fallen, and the round of laughter shortly thereafter when it's obvious he's alright.

It's bringing an extra pair of socks along just in case somebody forgets theirs.

It's working through the sore muscles, bad knees and the smell of "Ben-Gay."

It's lost job wages, small game fees, and that smile on your face when someone says, "Your just doing this for the money."

It's the feel of your heart pounding before the coin toss as you reach into your pocket for the coin that isn't there.

It's finishing a 3rd grade game and having a 9 year old run up to you and sincerely say, "Thank you, Mr. Official."

It's having to "buy the first round" because you're the first one to get dirt on your knickers during the game.

It's that "one play" that happened years ago that your crew keeps talking about.

It's the 8 x 8 foot dressing room they give you with a shower head that barely works.

It's leading by the example of sportsmanship, and hoping some of that will rub off on players, coaches and other officials.

It's knowing that no matter what happens during the game, you'll get it right.

It's also knowing that the greatest sign of wisdom is realizing that you don't know everything.

It's Snickers bars , beef jerky and sodas made from fermented grains.

It's rule books, discussion boards, countless e-mails and good friends whose faces you have yet to see.

It's striving to be both a scholar of the rules, and a philosopher of the spirit of the game.

It's being perfect the first day and working to improve everyday thereafter.

It's when you step on the field again for the first time each new season,...... take a deep breath ......and ask yourself, "where would I rather be than right here right know?"

(Don't know the name of the original author, but that about sums it up).

offside

The reason I love high school football..

I read that and so many thoughts went through my head, there were so many great times that I could not possibly sum it up without writing a book. If I had to choose one of the many great things about high school football, I would defiantly have to say the best feeling was, going out every Friday night and laying your butt on the line, sacrificing your body, and experiencing that pain, only to wake up the next morning just realize how great it felt to have that win! There is no greater feeling the being able to walk through your town with your head held high and to wear those school colors, as the people congratulate you and motivate you for the following week!!

Why I love high school football? You know this is the best post I have seen in my short time on BGP. High school football, is not about the money, or the glory. It is about a player who loves the game, his school, his teammates, and his coaches. It is about doing the right thing, not for yourself, but for your team. It is about crying in the locker room with your teammates after you lose that last game. It is about playing to win, and hating to lose. It is about being true and pure. That is why I love high school football.

Why I love High School Football?

Well just because it is "HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL". Friday nights seeing old friends, classmates, your doctor, your dentist, your pharmacist, the cashier from the grocery store and of course your family at the games. Then having them cheer when your team scores, forces a turnover, makes a good hit or just giving their all on the field and leaving it there.

And one thing I love to hear especially at Lawrence County is the sound of the cleats walking on the pavement from the Locker room to field then having the team run through the Dawg House and the tunnel of fans onto the field.

Gosh! I am 42 and I am ready to hit someone right now. :D

I love it for all of those reasons...but mainly because those things that were taught to me by father were echoed by those who coached me in high school.

I'd like to think that my life lessons were taugt to me by good, God fearing men, and everything I was taught since I was a young child was reinforced by those who taught me in high school. I couldn't ask for better role-models in my high school days.

I live my life by those values and I only hope I can teach my children the same moral values I was taught by my elders.

Even if I am one of the few, my children will be repsectful of others and do unto those that do unto them. And if they like me after all is said and done, that's great, but if they don't, they will respect me.

Nothing builds community more than High School football. The whole week of school leads up to the kickoff. They tailgaiting, pep rally's everyone is at the game. The battle of kids playing who love the game. It is pure for 48 minutes. You are successful whether you win or lose because you have survived the battle and grown up and matured because of it. You brave all the elements and play as hard as you can till you hear the whistle. You give it your all for the guys who have played before you and for the little JFL kids who adore you that want to grow up and be you!

Perhaps more so than in any other sport, in hs football a kid who may not have the most talent in the world but who otherwise has a big heart and a lot of guts and determination can contribute, even excel, and derive a great amount of fun and satisfaction. Good coaches recognize and play these kinds of kids.