Why is it that you love high school football so much?

kydlineguy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it always leaves the player wanting more. Just one more game, or just one more play...it isnt fair for the players' feelings when the curtain finally closes.

That is another excellent point. You can always play a pick-up game of basketball, or play on a softball team. But there is not many opportunities to put the pads on again.

On a side note: the way you experience the thrill of the game again is only my reliving it. Every time I visit a field, I can remember where on the field I scored a TD, or where I got a sack, and I can remember the game that was played there. And as a fan, a father of a football player, and as a youth coach I want other kids to have similar memories. I played multiple sports and I remember more, and in more detail, about football then any other sport.

I was only messing with you and to some point agree.

No problem, I knew it was not an absolute thing. Mostly parents who are trying to learn a complicated game. I probably should not have said "mad", just frustrated.:thumb:

How does one prepare for such a final ending???

When you know it is coming, it makes it so much more enjoyable...my senior year, we won the state championship...so going into that last week of practice we knew it would be our last Sunday, Monday, etc.....I also was fortunate enough to move on to the next level....but that was more of a business....not nearly the passion and joy of football at Trinity...

If you go to ONE St. X - Trinity game in September you can answere the question to this thread.

From a zebra's point of view:

It's standing on the field listening to the National Anthem with your eyes closed and your hat over your heart and butterflies in your stomach.

It's walking onto the field and seeing the relieved look on the face of a coach that knows he's got a great crew tonight.

It's the long drive to the game reviewing every detail of rules and mechanics and yet having time for a joke or two.

It's walking around the school or stadium looking for your locker room because the AD forgot to have someone meet you.

It's every story that begins with, "remember when..."

It's the genuine look of concern on your crew mates faces when one of your brothers has fallen, and the round of laughter shortly thereafter when it's obvious he's alright.

It's bringing an extra pair of socks along just in case somebody forgets theirs.

It's working through the sore muscles, bad knees and the smell of "Ben-Gay."

It's lost job wages, small game fees, and that smile on your face when someone says, "Your just doing this for the money."

It's the feel of your heart pounding before the coin toss as you reach into your pocket for the coin that isn't there.

It's finishing a 3rd grade game and having a 9 year old run up to you and sincerely say, "Thank you, Mr. Official."

It's having to "buy the first round" because you're the first one to get dirt on your knickers during the game.

It's that "one play" that happened years ago that your crew keeps talking about.

It's the 8 x 8 foot dressing room they give you with a shower head that barely works.

It's leading by the example of sportsmanship, and hoping some of that will rub off on players, coaches and other officials.

It's knowing that no matter what happens during the game, you'll get it right.

It's also knowing that the greatest sign of wisdom is realizing that you don't know everything.

It's Snickers bars , beef jerky and sodas made from fermented grains.

It's rule books, discussion boards, countless e-mails and good friends whose faces you have yet to see.

It's striving to be both a scholar of the rules, and a philosopher of the spirit of the game.

It's being perfect the first day and working to improve everyday thereafter.

It's when you step on the field again for the first time each new season,...... take a deep breath ......and ask yourself, "where would I rather be than right here right know?"

(Don't know the name of the original author, but that about sums it up).

offside

I agree totally offside

I think the great thing about high school football is the fact that it brings a community together, when they get together late on Thursday nights and get the field ready for the game the next day. It is the way that you can see the anticipation and nervousness on the teams face as they go through pre- game and then seeing them put it all together on the field and most importantly the camraderie that comes with the 2 a days in the summer and the hours spent working hard in the weightroom.

Being of the other gender, playing football was never a choice. I was raised on the field though, from 2nd grade to watch my brother to my high school days and supporting the guys on the field. Never played, but still have the same feeling every Friday night, the feel of the air at the field, the excitement of watching the team come onto the field to the fight song, the plays, the wins, the losses, etc. To watch a kid make the biggest play of his life brings tears to my eyes. Absolutely hate each year when it comes to an end, Friday nights are never the same without a football game...

Why I love High School Football?

Well just because it is "HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL". Friday nights seeing old friends, classmates, your doctor, your dentist, your pharmacist, the cashier from the grocery store and of course your family at the games. Then having them cheer when your team scores, forces a turnover, makes a good hit or just giving their all on the field and leaving it there.

And one thing I love to hear especially at Lawrence County is the sound of the cleats walking on the pavement from the Locker room to field then having the team run through the Dawg House and the tunnel of fans onto the field.

Gosh! I am 42 and I am ready to hit someone right now. :D

The sound of those cleats hitting that hard concrete and then onto the track is something I love to hear. The look the players get and that sound make LC football something great.

The sound of those cleats hitting that hard concrete and then onto the track is something I love to hear. The look the players get and that sound make LC football something great.

Don't forget Douggy.

Excellent post. I love the game because of the life lessons that it teaches. In this age of political correctness, football still teaches people there are winners and losers in life.

Football is the real life example that the underdog always has a chance.

Young men learn the value of hard work when they achieve a hard fought win on a Friday night. Players also learn how to lose when they are on the other side of the coin.

Most of all, I love the fact that it doesn't matter what a players background is, he's your teammate when you line up with him on Friday night.

Finally, when a team does something special, it's something that can never be taken away from them, and the players will carry those memories forever.

The first hit of the game. Leaving it all on the field. No fear. The battlefield. Team first. No excuses. The silence before the storm. The storm. The feeling inside when you lay someone out. Victory. An entire year in the wiehght room. Two-a-days in 98 degree heat. Doing it for those who have worn the jersey before you, and for those that will wear it in the future. Working through the pain. What you live 24/7. 4000 fans for a school with 1000 students. Sacrifice. The crowd so loud you cant hear yourself think.Football in general.

What do I Love about High School football. First off, I did play in high school. I wasn't on a very good team but we still played just like everyone else. I've always been a fan of the game but never to the extent I am now. While my son grew up and starting playing this game it became much clearer why kids play and love this game. It truly is "The Greatest Game". As someone else said it does prepare you for "LIFE". Someone once said if you can play football and take all that punishment and abuse from your coaches trying to make you a better player you will be able to do anything. ANYTHING!! I believe that to be a true statement. Now years later watching my son play, it's the greatest feeling to see a kids dream come true. No accomplishment in my life will ever compare to seeing him fullfill a dream of playing college football. To see him run out onto the field for his first game was trully amazing!! I had several friends with me to share the moment with and I truely thank GOD for such a wonderful young man. I truly am blessed. God greatest give to you are your children..................... That is why I LOVE this game........LTW.