Why is it that you love high school football so much?

kydlineguy

I can tell you why I do, I had such an awesome experiance playing for the high school coaches I played for. We had good winning teams and now it is something that I wish every high school player could experiance!

I remember the practices more than I do the games. I remember my teammates better than I do the scores. I remember my coaches more than my own classmates. I can honestly say that my coaches and teammates did more to prepare me for life than any other thing or experiance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you why I do, I had such an awesome experiance playing for the high school coaches I played for. We had good winning teams and now it is something that I wish every high school player could experiance!

I remember the practices more than I do the games. I remember my teammates better than I do the scores. I remember my coaches more than my own classmates. I can honestly say that my coaches and teammates did more to prepare me for life than any other thing or experiance.

Good post!!! They say that coaches can not teach and do not touch lives. Coaches do alot more for school than they get credit for!!!

I love high school football because of what my son gained from it and how much he loved it. But, it's more than just high school football, it's every team he played on from 3rd grade flag to his last days on the Trinity team. He absolutely lived and breathed football, and if not for the lessons learned throughout all those years, taught by many different coaches, I'm not sure how well he'd have adjusted to having his football days cut short. As it is, thanks to some very special coaches and teammates he has found ways to make lemonade out of lemons and never regret a day of his life that he was involved in football.

I love high school football because of what my son gained from it and how much he loved it. But, it's more than just high school football, it's every team he played on from 3rd grade flag to his last days on the Trinity team. He absolutely lived and breathed football, and if not for the lessons learned throughout all those years, taught by many different coaches, I'm not sure how well he'd have adjusted to having his football days cut short. As it is, thanks to some very special coaches and teammates he has found ways to make lemonade out of lemons and never regret a day of his life that he was involved in football.

Very good story!!! You should be proud. :thumb:

I love high school football because it is still relatively pure. Most will not go beyond the high school level but they play from the heart for their school. Ask most college players the best time in their life and they will still tell you Friday night! This is why we have D1 players on our sideline, because high school football is something so special that it is like a drug, you just gotta have it :)

What a great thread! Why do I love H.S. football.....reasons are beyond the number of grains of sand on a beach but here's a few...

It's Pure. Having played from kindegarten to the pros it was the purest time of my life. They say you learn all your life lessons by 5 but I beg to differ...most of my life lessons came through high school football.

It's the last time in your life you play for the fun of it and are truly an amatuer. You can say what you want about D3 being purely an amatuer situation, but its really not. I've coached at all levels and truly the most fun I had is at High School. It is such a joy seeing those kids mature and having a chance to help mold their futures is so rewarding. It is really humbling for a coach to see what these kids go through just to be part of the team, and wear the school colors with pride, and to see the un - abashed joy from taking the field every friday night.

Its community. It amazes me to see how communities get behind these programs. Sure not all do, but having been to places like Williamsburg, Somerset, Harlan, Evarts,Corbin, and seeing the way people turn out is unbelievable. I grew up in Texas and crowds there were great, but to see what goes on in this small area of Kentucky (which is not a great football state....go ahead beat me up on this but having recruited all over, east Tn. and east ky are average at best) is absolutely amazing. Plus when you read the posts on BGP it proves my point about community. Seen pretty good arguments on here...lol

Lastly, lest I write an epic tome here, which none of you would care to be subjected to....it's America. Yea, corny I know, but where else to you see the struggle, hearbreak, joy and triumph of the spirit, and the realization of the dream, as you do in HS football.Isn't that what life in America is all about? Overcoming adversity, team, effort, blood, sweat, and tears....man I'm getting fired up....lets kick off now!!!!

Like Coach Jones said on the movie "Radio"......."its looking for a win on Friday night and wakin' up on Saturday morning after you found it!"

Its the fans, smells, excitement, atmosphere, drama, winning and losing. Its watching a bunch of kids give everything they've got to bring home a victory. Its living in a small town and everyone talkin' about Friday nights game until next Friday night. Its the smell of fresh cut grass, grilled hamburgers and cannon smoke. The sound of 4000- 5000 fans all screaming at the top of their lungs when you score a touchdown and the sound the other teams fans make after the same TD (sounds like air rushing out of a room). Roll all of that up into one and thats what high school football is all about!

Its been nearly 30 years since I was on the field and I still get that feeling in the pit of my stomach when I smell fresh cut grass. If you played football you know the feeling. If your stomach could talk it would say "awe crap....its time for 2-A-Days!"