Pulaski County 71 Boyle County 44 (12th Region)

41 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

I also think people forget that Boyle County starts two freshman, and plays another freshman off the bench. 

Turner started as an 8th grader last year, he's played in several big games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 24Rocks said:

It seems that every good Boyle County team since 2014 has had at least one really good shooter.  Hagan Tyler, Bryce Slone, Luke Imfeld.  This team had some athletes but they were average shooters and streaky.  That will lead to a sub .500 season.

There have been plenty of good Boyle teams outside of the Tyler & Imfeld years. Those 2 were elite players for the 12th region. They had unlimited range AND could create their own shots. They were the offense. Key being they could rise up over their defender on their jumpers.

All this talk about Boyle kids not being shooters. Why is it that they struggle to shoot/score every year? Was Kason Meyers (who was not a football player) last year not a good shooter? He was a very good shooter. Turner is thought to be a great shooter, and Brown is a really good shooter. Quisenberry is at least an average shooter and is lethal from mid-range. Yet none of their percentages say that they’re good shooters.

I see two issues affecting shooting percentages over the last two seasons. Their offensive sets - a lack of ball movement, motion and screens that I see from the better offensive teams. An offense that puts their shooters/scorers in a position to get open shots in the flow of the offense. The contrast between them and Pulaski (in that regard) last night was stark. And then shot selection. That has been a huge problem for them as well. 

I just hate continually hearing that Boyle players are just athletes, that they can’t shoot and/or aren’t skilled. It’s not fair to the kids because it’s simply not true for several of them. Yes, there are a few kids playing that fit this description, but plenty that don’t. So much of it has to do with the quality of looks.

• Like 3

Pulaski Co. is a much better team than some give credit.  They got it rollin' in the 2nd half, and never looked back.  I've said all year Zach Anderson #4 and Will Blankenship #24 are extremely tough and gritty players in this region.  Blankenship may not be the athlete some of the Boyle kids are, but the kid has heart and toughness.  He wore their guards out last night, so give credit where credit is due.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BasketballFan24 said:

So from the tone I’m reading here we could see Open Job: Boyle County in the near future?  This is a coach that is not far removed from a 12th region championship and state tournament win. 

I don't think we will see that but with the talent they had a first round exit in region shouldn't happen. Many other schools would open a job for a situation similar to this.

1 hour ago, Remember The Name said:

I don't think we will see that but with the talent they had a first round exit in region shouldn't happen. Many other schools would open a job for a situation similar to this.

I hope you’re not serious. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

I just hate continually hearing that Boyle players are just athletes, that they can’t shoot and/or aren’t skilled. It’s not fair to the kids because it’s simply not true for several of them. Yes, there are a few kids playing that fit this description, but plenty that don’t. So much of it has to do with the quality of looks.

To be fair, you seemed to infer that their athleticism would be enough to win this game.

Screenshot_20240307-115901_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

There have been plenty of good Boyle teams outside of the Tyler & Imfeld years. Those 2 were elite players for the 12th region. They had unlimited range AND could create their own shots. They were the offense. Key being they could rise up over their defender on their jumpers.

All this talk about Boyle kids not being shooters. Why is it that they struggle to shoot/score every year? Was Kason Meyers (who was not a football player) last year not a good shooter? He was a very good shooter. Turner is thought to be a great shooter, and Brown is a really good shooter. Quisenberry is at least an average shooter and is lethal from mid-range. Yet none of their percentages say that they’re good shooters.

I see two issues affecting shooting percentages over the last two seasons. Their offensive sets - a lack of ball movement, motion and screens that I see from the better offensive teams. An offense that puts their shooters/scorers in a position to get open shots in the flow of the offense. The contrast between them and Pulaski (in that regard) last night was stark. And then shot selection. That has been a huge problem for them as well. 

Perhaps they can’t shoot because their legs are gone from non stop football drills. 

The 3 you mentioned were 30% on the season- can they shoot possibly but an open gym vs not as I’m sure you know is not all the same. 

Shot selection, play call etc can be a valid argument but at previous schools the % were no better. 

Boyle has not been a district winner too often in last 5 yrs-  this yr was the case of bad luck with the draw.  

• Like 3

Safe to say Coach Fraley has a good thing going, and has built a program that competes year in and year out. In his 8 years at the helm of Pulaski he has been in the semis every year, and has won two titles. If he gets this group to the finals then it may be his best job yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catfan09 said:

Boyle has not been a district winner too often in last 5 yrs-  this yr was the case of bad luck with the draw.  

To be fair, how many districts are tougher than the 45th? Lincoln, Boyle, and DCA seem to be perennial region powers. Not to mention every 2-5 years Danville and/or Garrard are capable of fielding strong teams that can compete.

51 minutes ago, burreaux said:

To be fair, how many districts are tougher than the 45th? Lincoln, Boyle, and DCA seem to be perennial region powers. Not to mention every 2-5 years Danville and/or Garrard are capable of fielding strong teams that can compete.

I would say the districts are pretty even.  46th nor 48th are not as deep but just as strong at the top over last 10 years. 

47th district had Rockcastle good enough to win the region not even make it this yr. 

4 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

To be fair, you seemed to infer that their athleticism would be enough to win this game.

Screenshot_20240307-115901_Chrome.jpg

I don’t think you understood what I meant. I was saying that I thought Boyle’s athleticism would give them the advantage over Pulaski. I was not saying that because they were athletic that they weren’t also skilled and good basketball players.  I thought both teams had skilled basketball players but one was much more athletic, so advantage to that team.

clearly, I was incorrect on my prediction.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, burreaux said:

Kind of tough to call DCA a perennial region power, when, until this season, they had never BEEN, to a regional tournament.  

• Like 4