East Carter 20 Lloyd Memorial 7

16thBBall Fan

• 16thBBall Fan changed the title to East Carter 20 Lloyd Memorial 7
15 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

The Juggs are who I thought they were…cupcake schedule reared it’s head in the playoffs.

I think they would benefit from adding a couple of games against someone like Beechwood or Dixie Heights. Still local, still good gates, but type of teams you'll have to beat in the postseason in Class 3A.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think they would benefit from adding a couple of games against someone like Beechwood or Dixie Heights. Still local, still good gates, but type of teams you'll have to beat in the postseason in Class 3A.

Personally. I hate this argument.

They won games.

If they schedule Beechwood and Dixie over Holmes and WV, they lose 2 more games and still lose in round 2. Getting their face beat in twice isn't going to help them.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Pi said:

They won games.

If they schedule Beechwood and Dixie over Holmes and WV, they lose 2 more games and still lose in round 2. Getting their face beat in twice isn't going to help them.

You don’t think a regular season matchup against a couple better teams would have made last night better? Might they have got a home game with a better RPI? I’m not saying play ten powerhouses, but there aren’t many teams winning late into the playoffs with a schedule like Lloyd played this year. 

1 hour ago, Pi said:

They won games.

Hate it all you want but it is a strong argument. When you play tougher teams, you find out your weaknesses. You get time to fix them before a loss sends you home. The only team in 3A with a SOS worse than Lloyd was Fleming County, and wasn't by much. It doesn't have to be a top notch team. Schedule a higher class team that you think will get 4-6 wins. That gets you a tougher opponent and boosts your RPI if you win. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Hate it all you want but it is a strong argument. When you play tougher teams, you find out your weaknesses. You get time to fix them before a loss sends you home. The only team in 3A with a SOS worse than Lloyd was Fleming County, and wasn't by much. It doesn't have to be a top notch team. Schedule a higher class team that you think will get 4-6 wins. That gets you a tougher opponent and boosts your RPI if you win. 

To be fair to the coaching staff or who ever makes the schedule. Scott and Holmes may not be perennial powerhouses, but in the last 5 years (disregarding the covid year) they weren't as bad as they were this year. Scott in 4 of those 5 years won at least 7 games. Holmes had not had less than 6 wins since 2018. They had no choice on the Pendleton or Bourbon games, but even for Bourbon this years team just wasn't any good. This was the first losing season for Bethlehem since 2018.  Even this year NewCath team seems to be a little down. Brossart's first losing season since 2017. Boone County was a down year even for them. All that said, there wasn't a 3-6A school that had realistic dreams on winning their district on the schedule even before the first game. I'm sure the CovCaths and Highlands of NKY wouldn't have schedule Lloyd to begin with but there is a middle ground. I am not sure how the schedules are handled from year to year, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dixie added again. Conner or Campbell County too. Other than maybe - and it's a big maybe -SK and Cooper I think you'll have to look outside of NKY to avoid biting off too much for you to chew.

My non athlete kids are in the Erlanger-Elsmere school district so I may be looking with rose colored glasses. I just think it was wild how all of Lloyd's teams they had scheduled besides LexCath were in a down year and most in a drastic down year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBearsFavoriteHat said:

To be fair to the coaching staff or who ever makes the schedule. Scott and Holmes may not be perennial powerhouses, but in the last 5 years (disregarding the covid year) they weren't as bad as they were this year. Scott in 4 of those 5 years won at least 7 games. Holmes had not had less than 6 wins since 2018. They had no choice on the Pendleton or Bourbon games, but even for Bourbon this years team just wasn't any good. This was the first losing season for Bethlehem since 2018.  Even this year NewCath team seems to be a little down. Brossart's first losing season since 2017. Boone County was a down year even for them. All that said, there wasn't a 3-6A school that had realistic dreams on winning their district on the schedule even before the first game. I'm sure the CovCaths and Highlands of NKY wouldn't have schedule Lloyd to begin with but there is a middle ground. I am not sure how the schedules are handled from year to year, but I wouldn't mind seeing Dixie added again. Conner or Campbell County too. Other than maybe - and it's a big maybe -SK and Cooper I think you'll have to look outside of NKY to avoid biting off too much for you to chew.

My non athlete kids are in the Erlanger-Elsmere school district so I may be looking with rose colored glasses. I just think it was wild how all of Lloyd's teams they had scheduled besides LexCath were in a down year and most in a drastic down year.

Good points. And Lloyd does get the playing up kicker when they face Scott and Holmes. Keep those two on the schedule for the RPI. Drop a couple of the 1A schools and find a couple 4A-6A schools to take their place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBearsFavoriteHat said:

This. This is why you're my favorite hat too. I think your assessment of the teams the Juggernauts did play is spot on, as well as the challenges overall.

∆ Re scheduling:

• Lloyd right now is a 'tweener' - smallish in 3A enrollment. They're sandwiched between two schools that are a combination of two things - Beechwood and Cov Cath, that are both within one Class size and consistently very good. 

• RPI has a lot of ADs/HCs looking to "play up" for the sugar that adds to deeper postseason seeding. If teams are already in a District that doesn't challenge them much, convincing them schedule you, even for a good chance at a win, is probably a stretch.  

Some solid smaller Ohio teams might be worth pursuing just for quality of play. Forget the RPI chase for a few years, there are teams across the river who are willing to harvest Harbin points for opponents that will help their playoff hopes. 

• How far is Lloyd willing to travel for a two year contract? What other 1A-5A teams of quality are within a two hour drive that might see the benefits of playing the Juggernauts?

KCD and Sayre? Convince Beechwood that Lloyd is at least as good an option as new District rival Walton-Verona? W-V would be a call I would make in a heartbeat too.

Mason Co,, Harrison Co., etc., if Scott and Holmes fall through ... not always perennial winners, but teams that might be looking for solid competition regardless of RPI considerations. 

• Patience in rebuilding a program - an analogy on Cov Cath from the before times? I watched a lot of losing Colonel football in the 70s. To rebuild, it was absolutely necessary to trade scheduling the likes of Trinity, Bryan Station, and Lafayette for Bellevue, Dayton and Ludlow. It'd take about another five years to make the playoffs, but I didn't see any shame in that either, because the District, which included Lloyd, was pretty stout.

+ For those bashing the scheduling on the not so down low, repeatedly - the horse is dead. Bury it or sell the meat. The subject is getting a bit ripe. 

TBFH, keep those rose colored glasses on. Maybe volunteer to polish the two state title trophies in the case - and you and the kids can dream big.

Roll on, roll on, Juggernauts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pi said:

They won games.

Going 7-3 against competitive opponents is much better than 9-1 against cupcakes. You are able to learn from losses and strengthen some weaknesses. 20-7 is not a huge margin. Sometimes getting your face beat in is a lesson worth learning. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

This. This is why you're my favorite hat too. I think your assessment of the teams the Juggernauts did play is spot on, as well as the challenges overall.

∆ Re scheduling:

• Lloyd right now is a 'tweener' - smallish in 3A enrollment. They're sandwiched between two schools that are a combination of two things - Beechwood and Cov Cath, that are both within one Class size and consistently very good. 

• RPI has a lot of ADs/HCs looking to "play up" for the sugar that adds to deeper postseason seeding. If teams are already in a District that doesn't challenge them much, convincing them schedule you, even for a good chance at a win, is probably a stretch.  

Some solid smaller Ohio teams might be worth pursuing just for quality of play. Forget the RPI chase for a few years, there are teams across the river who are willing to harvest Harbin points for opponents that will help their playoff hopes. 

• How far is Lloyd willing to travel for a two year contract? What other 1A-5A teams of quality are within a two hour drive that might see the benefits of playing the Juggernauts?

KCD and Sayre? Convince Beechwood that Lloyd is at least as good an option as new District rival Walton-Verona? W-V would be a call I would make in a heartbeat too.

Mason Co,, Harrison Co., etc., if Scott and Holmes fall through ... not always perennial winners, but teams that might be looking for solid competition regardless of RPI considerations. 

• Patience in rebuilding a program - an analogy on Cov Cath from the before times? I watched a lot of losing Colonel football in the 70s. To rebuild, it was absolutely necessary to trade scheduling the likes of Trinity, Bryan Station, and Lafayette for Bellevue, Dayton and Ludlow. It'd take about another five years to make the playoffs, but I didn't see any shame in that either, because the District, which included Lloyd, was pretty stout.

+ For those bashing the scheduling on the not so down low, repeatedly - the horse is dead. Bury it or sell the meat. The subject is getting a bit ripe. 

TBFH, keep those rose colored glasses on. Maybe volunteer to polish the two state title trophies in the case - and you and the kids can dream big.

Roll on, roll on, Juggernauts.

A nice 9-1 record looks good and is something the community can get excited about. Plus now they don’t have to sit in the cold any longer. Win-win if you ask me.