East Carter 20 Lloyd Memorial 7

16thBBall Fan

8 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

This. This is why you're my favorite hat too. I think your assessment of the teams the Juggernauts did play is spot on, as well as the challenges overall.

∆ Re scheduling:

• Lloyd right now is a 'tweener' - smallish in 3A enrollment. They're sandwiched between two schools that are a combination of two things - Beechwood and Cov Cath, that are both within one Class size and consistently very good. 

• RPI has a lot of ADs/HCs looking to "play up" for the sugar that adds to deeper postseason seeding. If teams are already in a District that doesn't challenge them much, convincing them schedule you, even for a good chance at a win, is probably a stretch.  

Some solid smaller Ohio teams might be worth pursuing just for quality of play. Forget the RPI chase for a few years, there are teams across the river who are willing to harvest Harbin points for opponents that will help their playoff hopes. 

• How far is Lloyd willing to travel for a two year contract? What other 1A-5A teams of quality are within a two hour drive that might see the benefits of playing the Juggernauts?

KCD and Sayre? Convince Beechwood that Lloyd is at least as good an option as new District rival Walton-Verona? W-V would be a call I would make in a heartbeat too.

Mason Co,, Harrison Co., etc., if Scott and Holmes fall through ... not always perennial winners, but teams that might be looking for solid competition regardless of RPI considerations. 

• Patience in rebuilding a program - an analogy on Cov Cath from the before times? I watched a lot of losing Colonel football in the 70s. To rebuild, it was absolutely necessary to trade scheduling the likes of Trinity, Bryan Station, and Lafayette for Bellevue, Dayton and Ludlow. It'd take about another five years to make the playoffs, but I didn't see any shame in that either, because the District, which included Lloyd, was pretty stout.

+ For those bashing the scheduling on the not so down low, repeatedly - the horse is dead. Bury it or sell the meat. The subject is getting a bit ripe. 

TBFH, keep those rose colored glasses on. Maybe volunteer to polish the two state title trophies in the case - and you and the kids can dream big.

Roll on, roll on, Juggernauts.

Good comments. I will add this:

- No more than one 1A team. They are RPI killers. If the thought is the program needs those wins, then maybe, maybe two 1A schools. But make them really good 1A schools.

- Beechwood I am not sure about. The new big district Beechwood is in hurts them in RPI. This year shows it. Beechwood beat two 6A schools and a 5A school and they still are fourth in 2A in RPI. I don't know if Beechwood can schedule Lloyd over top of looking for another 5A or 6A school. But Lloyd would probably be better than McNicholas for RPI so Lloyd might be an option.

Lloyd suffered losses to Brossart, Holy Cross and Newport in 2020/2021. This year's schedule was made back then.  There was no reason to  schedule up two years ago.  They did drop Grant and picked up New Cath. Boone, Scott, Holmes and NCC should have been good games for them. Now that they have improved, they have decisions to make.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

You don’t think a regular season matchup against a couple better teams would have made last night better? Might they have got a home game with a better RPI? I’m not saying play ten powerhouses, but there aren’t many teams winning late into the playoffs with a schedule like Lloyd played this year. 

So true.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

3 hours ago, Footballfan5 said:

Lloyd suffered losses to Brossart, Holy Cross and Newport in 2020/2021. This year's schedule was made back then.  There was no reason to  schedule up two years ago.  They did drop Grant and picked up New Cath. Boone, Scott, Holmes and NCC should have been good games for them. Now that they have improved, they have decisions to make.  

This years schedule was the first of a new 2 year schedule cycle. All of the games this year were just made this past off season, Lloyd could have chosen to schedule tougher, but chose to rollover the games they had played the previous years.