Over and back violation clarification

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I believe Team A can even deflect the ball past midcourt on the rebound. As long as they don't gain possession it would still be Team A's ball. If I am wrong someone please clarify.

I tried to keep the original question short, but actually it happened somewhat as you described rebound was batted into backcourt in a rebound battle. Team A possessed and a backcourt violation was ruled.

As described, it is not a violation. Once the shot attempt is made, there is no team control which is a requirement for it to be a violation. Even if it comes off the rim, hits the offensive player in the head, and bounds to the backcourt, it would not be a violation should A be the first to touch it.

As described, it is not a violation. Once the shot attempt is made, there is no team control which is a requirement for it to be a violation. Even if it comes off the rim, hits the offensive player in the head, and bounds to the backcourt, it would not be a violation should A be the first to touch it.

Here's a winner. As state above, no violation.

I know I'm jumping in a little late here but do you guys have a rule book or can you point me in the direction to find this ruling? I don't think this is correct the way you are stating it. There is no "team control" during a shot but the shot attempt ends when it comes back down to a rebounder or to the ground. If there were no team control throughout a shot then you would go to a jump ball when a shot bounces over the backboard but you don't, it is turned over to the other team because the offense was the last team to possess it. Same thing would apply here and it would be a violation.

I agree with this, after the shot there would be no team control. Good question.

I know I'm jumping in a little late here but do you guys have a rule book or can you point me in the direction to find this ruling? I don't think this is correct the way you are stating it. There is no "team control" during a shot but the shot attempt ends when it comes back down to a rebounder or to the ground. If there were no team control throughout a shot then you would go to a jump ball when a shot bounces over the backboard but you don't, it is turned over to the other team because the offense was the last team to possess it. Same thing would apply here and it would be a violation.

Rule 4-12

Article 3 -- Team control continues until:

a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

In the scenario described in this thread, there is no violation because team control ceases (according to the above rule) when the ball is shot. When a shot ball goes out of bounds, it is not a jump ball because "team control" has no bearing on out of bounds.

Rule 7-2

Article 1 -- The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds to touch it or be touched by it, unless the ball touches a player who is out bounds prior to touching something out of bounds other than a player.

Rule 4-12

Article 3 -- Team control continues until:

a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

In the scenario described in this thread, there is no violation because team control ceases (according to the above rule) when the ball is shot. When a shot ball goes out of bounds, it is not a jump ball because "team control" has no bearing on out of bounds.

Rule 7-2

Article 1 -- The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds to touch it or be touched by it, unless the ball touches a player who is out bounds prior to touching something out of bounds other than a player.

Thanks. I won a popcorn on this, but I didn't know why.