Over and back violation clarification

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm jumping in a little late here but do you guys have a rule book or can you point me in the direction to find this ruling? I don't think this is correct the way you are stating it. There is no "team control" during a shot but the shot attempt ends when it comes back down to a rebounder or to the ground. If there were no team control throughout a shot then you would go to a jump ball when a shot bounces over the backboard but you don't, it is turned over to the other team because the offense was the last team to possess it. Same thing would apply here and it would be a violation.

You're wrong.

Under your scenerio, the shooter was the last player to touch the ball before it went out of bounds.

Rule 4-12

Article 3 -- Team control continues until:

a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

In the scenario described in this thread, there is no violation because team control ceases (according to the above rule) when the ball is shot. When a shot ball goes out of bounds, it is not a jump ball because "team control" has no bearing on out of bounds.

Rule 7-2

Article 1 -- The ball is caused to go out of bounds by the last player in bounds to touch it or be touched by it, unless the ball touches a player who is out bounds prior to touching something out of bounds other than a player.

Thanks for the info (didn't have a rule book handy).

Ruling doesn't make much sense to me but...

You're wrong.

Under your scenerio, the shooter was the last player to touch the ball before it went out of bounds.

He was also the last one to touch it before it goes into the backcourt, which usually results in a violation, which is why it doesn't make much sense.

I saw a guy dribble it across in the backcourt(in front of two officials) and it didn't get called last night at Harrison County. So apparently it is all a judgement call!:laugh:

I'm not following. Was he coming IN to the frontcourt from the backcourt? Other way around? If he was dribbling into the frontcourt, did both feet and the ball touch the frontcourt?

He was also the last one to touch it before it goes into the backcourt, which usually results in a violation, which is why it doesn't make much sense.

Out of bounds calls have nothing to do with team possesscion.

Backcourt violations require team possesscion.

There's no usually involved. Clearly defined rules.

I know I'm jumping in a little late here but do you guys have a rule book or can you point me in the direction to find this ruling? I don't think this is correct the way you are stating it. There is no "team control" during a shot but the shot attempt ends when it comes back down to a rebounder or to the ground. If there were no team control throughout a shot then you would go to a jump ball when a shot bounces over the backboard but you don't, it is turned over to the other team because the offense was the last team to possess it. Same thing would apply here and it would be a violation.

Even when the ball hits the rim, there is a possibility that the shot will still go in. When it goes over the backboard, the team last in control of the shot is what you go by. If the ball comes back into the playing court (after hitting the rim) then there is no team control. Sounds funny but that is the best I can do to explain it.

You also see alot of officials call a back court violation on an inbound pass that gets deflected into the backcourt by the team inbounding. There is no team control on this either. I used to have to explain this one to many coaches, even college ones!

:flame:

You also see alot of officials call a back court violation on an inbound pass that gets deflected into the backcourt by the team inbounding. There is no team control on this either. I used to have to explain this one to many coaches, even college ones!

The other misunderstanding of this rule regards the ball being tipped or batted by the defensive team. Many think that once the defensive team touches the ball that a backcourt violation cannot be called should the offensive team be the last to make contact with the ball before it went to the backcourt and then be the first to touch it in the backcourt.

Out of bounds calls have nothing to do with team possesscion.

Backcourt violations require team possesscion.

There's no usually involved. Clearly defined rules.

Yeah, we all got that. It DOES depend on who touched it (or didn't touch it)last as well, as cshs just pointed out with his example. Just saying that this rule is a little confusing because it doesn't follow the logic of the other rules. In this example, Team A controlled it last and touched it last and it is not a violation.

I tried to keep the original question short, but actually it happened somewhat as you described rebound was batted into backcourt in a rebound battle. Team A possessed and a backcourt violation was ruled.

In your clarification 'Team A possessed'. If they had possession, then it was a correct call if they crossed the line. However, Mack is right. Possession is lost while the ball is in flight. Team A player batting a ball into the back court even when Team A last had possession and retrieved in the backcourt by team A players does not constitute a violation.

Even when the ball hits the rim, there is a possibility that the shot will still go in. When it goes over the backboard, the team last in control of the shot is what you go by.

I used to have to explain this one to many coaches, even college ones!

I hope you didn't have to explain this one very often.:banana:

In HS, the shot doesn't have to hit the rim to be considered a shot.

When the shot goes over the backboard, the player who last touched the ball is the factor. TEAM control is not a factor.