Disney Owned Channels (including ESPN, FX, SEC and Disney Channel) Go Dark on Spectrum

nkypete

Spectrum said Disney has removed its programming.

“The Walt Disney Company has removed their programming from Spectrum which creates hardship for our customers,” the company said on its DisneyESPNFairDeal.com site.

This just happened tonight.  No more US Open and may affect the first big weekend of College Football.  This affects a lot of the channels that I personally watch.  I hope Spectrum and Disney get their act together fast!

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/football/2023/08/31/disney-spectrum-blackout-espn-contract-negotiations-thursday-college-football/70727186007/

• nkypete changed the title to Disney Owned Channels (including ESPN, FX, SEC and Disney Channel) Go Dark on Spectrum

I have Spectrum for internet only. HAve had Youtube TV since December and should've switched along time go. Especially made me feel good about the decision, besides it saving me around $150 a month, seeing what happened last night. I tried Sling TV around 2019 but it would just giving me the refresh circle. Have been nothing but happy with YouTube TV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I have Spectrum for internet only. HAve had Youtube TV since December and should've switched along time go. Especially made me feel good about the decision, besides it saving me around $150 a month, seeing what happened last night. I tried Sling TV around 2019 but it would just giving me the refresh circle. Have been nothing but happy with YouTube TV.

I had Spectrum for internet only as well, but dropped it in favor of AltaFiber about a year ago. Spectrum just kept going up in price. I've now got 1gb service for 1/4 price locked in for 3 years. I had DirecTv for over 20 years and dropped it in favor of Youtube Tv in February once I found out DTV was losing Sunday Ticket. Even with YouTube's price increase I'm still saving $75/ month. 

• Like 2

Disney and Discovery are notorious for this.   Trying to get enough people to complain to get the cable companies to cave.  And when they do, they raise the rates to cover the price increases, then they get customer grief for that as well.   They really are in a no win situation.  With as many streaming options out there, it's amazing that any cable companies are still in the business of pay TV.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, rjs4470 said:

I had Spectrum for internet only as well, but dropped it in favor of AltaFiber about a year ago. Spectrum just kept going up in price. I've now got 1gb service for 1/4 price locked in for 3 years. I had DirecTv for over 20 years and dropped it in favor of Youtube Tv in February once I found out DTV was losing Sunday Ticket. Even with YouTube's price increase I'm still saving $75/ month. 

Been with CincyBell Fiberoptics/Altafiber for years.  Their prices go up as well and internet slows down over time.  They're all designed to suck more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlDog75 said:

Been with CincyBell Fiberoptics/Altafiber for years.  Their prices go up as well and internet slows down over time.  They're all designed to suck more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I know. I'm at least locked in at 1 gb (which is twice as fast as I had with spectrum) for about $20 less than I had with Spectrum. I'll cross the raising price bridge when it comes up in 3 years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I know. I'm at least locked in at 1 gb (which is twice as fast as I had with spectrum) for about $20 less than I had with Spectrum. I'll cross the raising price bridge when it comes up in 3 years.

Agreed.  When I would try to game with buddies on a Friday or Saturday night there were plenty of times that my Spectrum connection would have a speed of 250-300 mbps download and 40-50 upload with a terrible ping in the 70-80's+.

Now that I'm on Altafiber I actually see speeds above 1 gb and upload speeds close to 500, while maintaining a ping latency of around 20-22.  All without having to constantly reset my modem, router etc.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:20 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Disney and Discovery are notorious for this.   Trying to get enough people to complain to get the cable companies to cave.  And when they do, they raise the rates to cover the price increases, then they get customer grief for that as well.   They really are in a no win situation.  With as many streaming options out there, it's amazing that any cable companies are still in the business of pay TV.

I recently switched to Altafiber for my TV, I have had Cincinnati Bell/Altafiber for my Internet since the beginning of time only until recently I had the copper over fiber version of Altafiber.  Altafiber ran new lines to my neighborhood and it was a no brainer for me to switch at that time.  I get way, way more for about $100 less a month all things considered.  

Now to my point, both my original installer and an additional tech that had to come out and replace some faulty equipment told me that neither of them think Altafiber will be in the TV business 5 years from now for just the reason you mentioned.  That is antidotal for sure but it left me scratching my head when two separate Altafiber employees had the same opinion about it.

43 minutes ago, theguru said:

I recently switched to Altafiber for my TV, I have had Cincinnati Bell/Altafiber for my Internet since the beginning of time only until recently I had the copper over fiber version of Altafiber.  Altafiber ran new lines to my neighborhood and it was a no brainer for me to switch at that time.  I get way, way more for about $100 less a month all things considered.  

Now to my point, both my original installer and an additional tech that had to come out and replace some faulty equipment told me that neither of them think Altafiber will be in the TV business 5 years from now for just the reason you mentioned.  That is antidotal for sure but it left me scratching my head when two separate Altafiber employees had the same opinion about it.

That will likely be what drives me to something like YouTube TV or Fubo.  Or one of the local after market streaming boxes.  

• Like 1