Do we have any "plant based" eaters here on BGP?

theguru

I have been researching this for awhile and I am going to move in a plant based direction.  In short, the benefits are undeniable.

Do we have any plant based eaters here on BGP?  If so, what can you share that would be helpful?

And no, I am not giving up the occasional bacon party. 

I do not do plant-based and that term can mean a lot of things. While there are some benefits, I have always felt it can devoid us of adequate protein and other valuable nutrients you cannot replicate by eating a beyond burger. A lot of plant-based stuff is too processed for my liking. And not all processed food is bad, but if a good chunk of your diet is not the real thing, I question how good it really is for you.

If you are on IG, I highly encourage you to follow Max Lugavere (author of Genius Foods) and Dr. James DiNicolantonio (can get a little annoying at times).

My general rules of thumb when it comes to nutrition:

- Protein.
- Salt (the real thing) because it helps with hydration and it's the true electrolyte. I use LMNT. LOVE IT!
- Know the ingredients. If you look at at label and they are all chemical names, limit that item.
- Limit seed oils.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bugatti said:

I do not do plant-based and that term can mean a lot of things. While there are some benefits, I have always felt it can devoid us of adequate protein and other valuable nutrients you cannot replicate by eating a beyond burger. A lot of plant-based stuff is too processed for my liking. And not all processed food is bad, but if a good chunk of your diet is not the real thing, I question how good it really is for you.

If you are on IG, I highly encourage you to follow Max Lugavere (author of Genius Foods) and Dr. James DiNicolantonio (can get a little annoying at times).

My general rules of thumb when it comes to nutrition:

- Protein.
- Salt (the real thing) because it helps with hydration and it's the true electrolyte. I use LMNT. LOVE IT!
- Know the ingredients. If you look at at label and they are all chemical names, limit that item.
- Limit seed oils.

If you know what you are doing getting enough protein is not an issue.  Many of the biggest, strongest animals get all their protein from plants.  I will not be eating any of that beyond burger stuff, yuck.  I agree on being careful with processed foods.

Maybe a better way of stating what I plan on is to say I want to eliminate the majority of animal proteins in my diet and replace them with plant proteins.   

Thanks for the heads up on Max and Dr. J, I will check them out.

I eat other animals that have plant based diets.  And is plant based diets were so great, why do they try to make all plant based stuff taste like meat?

All jokes aside, I've tried a few of the "meatless" products in order to be healthier, but the taste just isn't there. I do try to eat a salad and some fruit everyday. Most of the green stuff I eat is raw....I just don't like cooked veggies. I'll try to force some down on occasion, but I just don't enjoy it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I eat other animals that have plant based diets.  And is plant based diets were so great, why do they try to make all plant based stuff taste like meat?

All jokes aside, I've tried a few of the "meatless" products in order to be healthier, but the taste just isn't there. I do try to eat a salad and some fruit everyday. Most of the green stuff I eat is raw....I just don't like cooked veggies. I'll try to force some down on occasion, but I just don't enjoy it.  

To answer the joke because there is a market for it.  The "problem" with the animal meat is saturated fat, cholesterol, inflammation, and how it impacts our health.

I also find it interesting to hear testimonials from high level athletes that have achieved great success by cutting meat out of their diet. 

47 minutes ago, theguru said:

To answer the joke because there is a market for it.  The "problem" with the animal meat is saturated fat, cholesterol, inflammation, and how it impacts our health.

I also find it interesting to hear testimonials from high level athletes that have achieved great success by cutting meat out of their diet. 

Believe me, I get it. I understand the market for “meat like” products is built for those who want to or have made the choice to stop eating meat, but still want something that tastes like meat in their diet. And there is no denying that too much meat in your diet can lead to problems. Personally, I think balance and portion control is the key, both of which are hard for many. 

Just now, rjs4470 said:

Believe me, I get it. I understand the market for “meat like” products is built for those who want to or have made the choice to stop eating meat, but still want something that tastes like meat in their diet. And there is no denying that too much meat in your diet can lead to problems. Personally, I think balance and portion control is the key, both of which are hard for many. 

We are on the same page, in short, my goal is to replace about 75% of the meat I eat with fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. 

• Like 1

I can't do red meat, so for years, it's been ground turkey for burgers.  It's decent, but always wanted something better.  For me, Beyond Meat is nasty.  I don't like the taste or texture of the ones I've had.  I really like the Impossible burgers.  I hadn't had a Whopper in 20+ years, so when I tried the Impossible Whopper for the first time, it tasted exactly as I remembered a Whopper.  The Impossible burger at Red Robin is good too.  I always get funny looks when I order one with bacon on it though.  That's been the extent of my plant based meat replacements.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

I can't do red meat, so for years, it's been ground turkey for burgers.  It's decent, but always wanted something better.  For me, Beyond Meat is nasty.  I don't like the taste or texture of the ones I've had.  I really like the Impossible burgers.  I hadn't had a Whopper in 20+ years, so when I tried the Impossible Whopper for the first time, it tasted exactly as I remembered a Whopper.  The Impossible burger at Red Robin is good too.  I always get funny looks when I order one with bacon on it though.  That's been the extent of my plant based meat replacements.

I had one of the impossible Whoppers once and I didn't enjoy it.  Maybe if it was fresher it would have been better.  However, the cheese and mayo on Whopper is still animal fat so if I am going to eat a Whopper it will be the real thing. 

19 hours ago, theguru said:

If you know what you are doing getting enough protein is not an issue.  Many of the biggest, strongest animals get all their protein from plants.  I will not be eating any of that beyond burger stuff, yuck.  I agree on being careful with processed foods.

Maybe a better way of stating what I plan on is to say I want to eliminate the majority of animal proteins in my diet and replace them with plant proteins.   

Thanks for the heads up on Max and Dr. J, I will check them out.

And those animals also eat an amount unachievable by humans. Gorillas eat upwards of 40lbs of plants each day.

• Like 1

Go to Egypt.  Stand at the foot of the Pyramids.  Understand that they have been in the same spot for 4,000 years and you are like an ant that we observe walking across the sidewalk.  You suddenly understand what a brief span of time that we are on this earth.

With that said why punish yourself by eating things that are not delicious.  Enjoy your brief period here on earth.  What are a few years more or less in the grand scheme of things..  A lifetime is a lifetime - long or short.  Enjoy it while you are here.  Those pyramids are laughing at you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mustang said:

Go to Egypt.  Stand at the foot of the Pyramids.  Understand that they have been in the same spot for 4,000 years and you are like an ant that we observe walking across the sidewalk.  You suddenly understand what a brief span of time that we are on this earth.

With that said why punish yourself by eating things that are not delicious.  Enjoy your brief period here on earth.  What are a few years more or less in the grand scheme of things..  A lifetime is a lifetime - long or short.  Enjoy it while you are here.  Those pyramids are laughing at you.

I watched another "documentary" about the Pyramids last night.  Humans didn't build them and I agree they put things in perspective for us puny humans. 

I don't look at it as punishment Mustang, if I feel better, look better, have more energy, and maybe live longer I think it is a win for me.  Generally speaking the better I eat the less I even have a desire to eat junk and as I have mentioned before I rarely eat out and sometimes when I do the amount of salt in the food shocks my system. 

• Like 1