Do we have any "plant based" eaters here on BGP?

theguru

13 minutes ago, Mustang said:

My bottom line is that I eat what I want and like.  Some of it is actually healthy - Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Salads, Spinich Salads, etc..   Drinking 2Liters ($2.78 each) of Diet Coke a day is probably not doing me any favors, but I hate water and really like Diet Coke over ice.

My original point of entering nto the conversation was about visiting the Pyramids which are over 4,000 years old.  Take a long piece of paper and write down 1 to 4,000 and somewhere in there block out 80 years and you will see how short and insignificant your (our) lives are.  Moral of the story is to Enjoy life for the short time we are here.  Why eat that crap if it is only going to prolong your live a few years.  In 100 years, and then in another 1,000 years another group of people will be standing at the base of those same Pyramids, trying to squeeze a few years out of life.

Earth is 4.5 billion years old, our universe is almost 14 billion years old, and who knows about other universes because we probably live in a multi-verse at a minimum.   Crunch those numbers @Mustang!

Also on the pyramids, some think they are much older, mainstream archeology likes to keep everyone in line but many ancient structures are probably much older than we are told.  

I agree on the diet coke, diet drinks are horrible for you.  Clearly you have some top flight genetics. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theguru said:

I think we have talked about this movie before but either way if you are into sports (all of us I would assume) and you have at least a casual interest in "plant based eating" I highly recommend watching this movie on Netflix.  There are a bunch of stars in it.  Also, the website is a great resource for all things on this topic, really good stuff:

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

As demonstrated by the athletes and research featured in The Game Changers, switching to a diet centered around plants can yield significant performance advantages, providing optimal fuel, increasing blood flow, making muscles more efficient, and speeding recovery by lowering inflammation. These benefits can not only be experienced by athletes, but by anyone who wants to feel and perform better in any aspect of their lives.

There is a lot of scientifically based evidence that counters much of what is layed out in "Gamechangers".  This guy is an advocate for eating a well-rounded diet, with whole food coming from all sources.

It is not hard to find evidence to support your viewpoint or biases. No matter the subject.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCVD said:

There is a lot of scientifically based evidence that counters much of what is layed out in "Gamechangers".  This guy is an advocate for eating a well-rounded diet, with whole food coming from all sources.

It is not hard to find evidence to support your viewpoint or biases. No matter the subject.

Thanks JCVD, I will check that out.

• Like 1

I've not watched Gamechangers but well aware of several pro athletes going plant-based (CP3, etc.). These people also have professional chefs and teams that can help facilitate this lifestyle. But as JCVD said, you can find anything out there to support your viewpoint. I limit my meat intake, but as humans I don't think we were naturally made to be vegans. We are hunters/gatherers. I do worry about the negative impact of hormones and whatever else is pumped into meat which I've always presumed to be a major source of inflammation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mustang said:

My bottom line is that I eat what I want and like.  Some of it is actually healthy - Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Salads, Spinich Salads, etc..   Drinking 2Liters ($2.78 each) of Diet Coke a day is probably not doing me any favors, but I hate water and really like Diet Coke over ice.

My original point of entering nto the conversation was about visiting the Pyramids which are over 4,000 years old.  Take a long piece of paper and write down 1 to 4,000 and somewhere in there block out 80 years and you will see how short and insignificant your (our) lives are.  Moral of the story is to Enjoy life for the short time we are here.  Why eat that crap if it is only going to prolong your live a few years.  In 100 years, and then in another 1,000 years another group of people will be standing at the base of those same Pyramids, trying to squeeze a few years out of life.

A healthy life is as much about balance than it is anything else. I may portray on here that I am a clean eater and in tip-top shape. The reality is food has always been a struggle for me and I can't explain the struggles I've had with it. Like therapy level struggles. Food is such an integral part of my life. I would rather go out and spend $500 on a meal with friends than anything else in life. Cooking/smoking is one of my hobbies.

Things I do know with certainty:

- The better (didn't say 100% perfect) I eat, the better I feel and the more energy I have. I eat an unhealty dose of Mexican food like I did Sunday night, I feel like a slug. For many people this is EVERY meal and they've just accepted this how we are supposed to feel. And that is sad. It is like a drug in that you get that high, but the lows can go on much longer.
- A balance of diet and exercise pays dividends when you start comparing to peers. It is not noticeable until you reach your 30s, but you can definitely tell those that take care of themselves vs. those that do not. I'm Carly Simon vain so this means a lot to me... much more than it should; but, it doesn't hurt, through this 80 year life, trying to feel confident in how I look. 🙂
- Foods that we think are un-enjoyable are primarily of a result of us corrupting our taste buds. Because yeah, chocolate cake tastes better than an apple. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

On walking, perhaps this can verified here. I have heard or maybe I read it somewhere....

You burn the same number of calories walking a mile as you do running a mile.

In theory yes. But more than distance is time. 10 minutes of running will burn many more calories than 10 minutes of walking, and create greater caloric deficits and thus more weight loss. Generally, greater exercise intensity will create better and higher fitness levels.

Just now, rjs4470 said:

In theory yes. But more than distance is time. 10 minutes of running will burn many more calories than 10 minutes of walking, and create greater caloric deficits and thus more weight loss. Generally, greater exercise intensity will create better and higher fitness levels.

When I first read VoR's question my initial thought was this is a time-distance calculation.  With that said, VoR, get a good pair of walking shoes and get out there. 

11 minutes ago, theguru said:

When I first read VoR's question my initial thought was this is a time-distance calculation.  With that said, VoR, get a good pair of walking shoes and get out there. 

Yes. Walking certainly isn’t bad, and in some ways is better than running. Running can be very hard on joints, especially if you are heavy. 

2 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Yes. Walking certainly isn’t bad, and in some ways is better than running. Running can be very hard on joints, especially if you are heavy. 

Walking may be the best single exercise.

On occasion I mix some short "sprints" in with my walking routine but it is definitely hard on my body and something I mostly stay away from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCVD said:

So I watched the whole video.  I could go into a lot of specifics but generally speaking I think they are somewhat guilty of what they are accusing the movie of.  They cherry picked too and used antidotes to make points too.  Moving forward, I watched another much shorter video on the same topic "reviewing the movie" that I think was much better, much more objective, much more helpful and I suggest watching it:

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

I've not watched Gamechangers but well aware of several pro athletes going plant-based (CP3, etc.). These people also have professional chefs and teams that can help facilitate this lifestyle. But as JCVD said, you can find anything out there to support your viewpoint. I limit my meat intake, but as humans I don't think we were naturally made to be vegans. We are hunters/gatherers. I do worry about the negative impact of hormones and whatever else is pumped into meat which I've always presumed to be a major source of inflammation.

This! More than concerning myself with meat vs plants (which I honestly feel is more of a personal preference than anything - both have benefits and drawbacks so do what makes you feel better), I have really started to cut out foods with hormones pumped into them and cut as much processed food as possible. Doing so has really helped with my blood labs and just overall feeling more energetic and clear headed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

This! More than concerning myself with meat vs plants (which I honestly feel is more of a personal preference than anything - both have benefits and drawbacks so do what makes you feel better), I have really started to cut out foods with hormones pumped into them and cut as much processed food as possible. Doing so has really helped with my blood labs and just overall feeling more energetic and clear headed. 

What do you think the drawbacks of plants are?