Newport Central Catholic at Pikeville Predictions/Updates

Bac2369

Who wins this matchup?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Pikeville
    • Newport Central Catholic

This poll is closed to new votes

Pikeville welcomes in Newport Central Catholic for a State Semifinal matchup. Pikeville has held down the #1 in the BluegrassPreps Class 1A Top ten all season. Newport Central Catholic has held down the #3 spot in that poll since week 4.

Pikeville sits at 10-2 now with Playoff wins over Lynn Camp, Harlan and Paintsville. 
Newport Central Catholic sits at 11-2, they have playoff wins over Eminence, Frankfort, and Kentucky Country Day.

Pikeville is averaging just over 43 points per game. The defense is giving up about 12 points per game. 
Newport Central Catholic is averaging close to 34 points per game game. The defense is giving up close to 16 points per game.

Who wins this State Semifinal Matchup? Does Pikeville flex again? Does Newport Central Catholic show 1A they’ve been over looked all season?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Newport Central Catholic at Pikeville Predictions/Updates

I'm hoping for a great match-up in this game.  If NCC can execute a good running stopping game plan, they could make it interesting.  If they are soft on the run, Pikeville will hit their average scoring mark. 

Both teams want to run the ball, and stop the run. Both teams want to limit turnovers and prevent big plays.  Does anybody have any thoughts on what will be the difference? Will it be either team's passing game?  Will it be Pikeville's size? Will it be NewCath's defense? 

Or maybe Pikeville will just dominate on both sides of the ball and put NCC in their rearview by the end of the 1st quarter. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, InsideSlant said:

Both teams want to run the ball, and stop the run. Both teams want to limit turnovers and prevent big plays.  Does anybody have any thoughts on what will be the difference? Will it be either team's passing game?  Will it be Pikeville's size? Will it be NewCath's defense? 

Or maybe Pikeville will just dominate on both sides of the ball and put NCC in their rearview by the end of the 1st quarter. Thoughts?

I could see Pikeville overwhelming NewCath from the opening kick. The ease with which they dispatched Hazard sealed it for me. We haven't even really witnessed Pikeville's true offensive potential because no one has been able to handle them up front. The numbers don't reflect it, but Pikeville's passing game is a secret weapon waiting to take someone by surprise. They haven't been backed into a corner yet and forced to reveal it. 

Are the 'Breds capable of making Pikeville uncomfortable? That's the million dollar question. 

The only game on their schedule worth looking at to gain any insight into a potential strategy or their chances of success is Beechwood, but that was post-Berger Beechwood. They were competitive that night, but "competitive" in this case meant hanging for a half against a team in the midst of retooling that also made some uncharacteristic mistakes - from what I recall, anyway. Pikeville is healthy and in full stride.

Another factor here is Pikeville's criminally underpublicized defense. This is one of their best in recent memory. The majority of the points they've allowed - 9.2 per game - during this ten game win streak have come in garbage time.

I think a fast start for NCC and turnovers are necessary to keep this from getting out of hand. I hope they at least accomplish that much. At this point, you just want to see good games that hold your attention for four quarters.

• Like 1

Talking to my peeps at the football game today, the boys feel cam cool and collective. Any time you can practice on Thanksgiving is a special deal, Congrats to all the semi-finalists. I’m pumped to be able watch this one on TV thanks to Pikeville and MT. Good luck to all and hope the Breds pull it out. 

• Like 1