Baseball HOF elects two

Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken were elected to the HOF in their first year on the ballot.

Goose Gossage missed by 21 votes. Jim Rice was fourth. Andre Dawson was fifth.

Mark McGwire received 128 votes or 23.5%. 75% of the vote is needed for election.

Jose Canseco received just six votes. That means he, along with Orel Hersheiser, Albert Belle, Paul O'Neill, and Eric Davis won't appear on any more HOF ballots because they did not receive 5% of the vote.

Dave Concepcion got 74 votes or 13%.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things look pretty good for Gossage, Rice, and/or Dawson in 2008. The new players who will make their first appearance on the ballot next year are Shawon Dunston, Travis Fryman, David Justice, Mike Morgan, Tim Raines, and Randy Velarde. Maybe Tim Raines makes it from that list.

Wow, Big Mac gets drilled in voting -- I guess the baseball purists have spoken. I'm having a tough time coming down on one side of this argument or another. I can make a good case on both sides of voting for Mark.

Cal and Tony were no-brainers, and only a No-Brainer wouldn't vote for either. Pull that moron's credential.

In my opinion, these two saved baseball from itself when it nearly self-destructed in the early 90's. Two finer individuals and gentleman do not exist. By the way, how many guys do you see now that play their entire (long) careers with the same team. Never remember either one spitting on anyone, or being in the paper for beating their wives or anything else for that matter. Two gems.

I think Bonds was a HOF'er before he grew the biggest forehead in baseball. I think he gets in.
Bonds gets in. His numbers, excluding HR's are very impressive and have been, over the course of his career.

With that said, some will certainly take a stance on voting for him. As for McGwire, very interesting regarding his %....not sure if its more toward his one dimensional talent, of hitting HR's, his "assumed" performance enhancements or a combination of all the above.

If I had a vote, Bonds and McGwire get in, along with Gossage. Rice and Dawson, should also get in. I truly enjoyed Concepcion playing, perhaps one of the smoothest SS of all-times, certainly one of my favorites.

Bonds gets in. His numbers, excluding HR's are very impressive and have been, over the course of his career.

With that said, some will certainly take a stance on voting for him. As for McGwire, very interesting regarding his %....not sure if its more toward his one dimensional talent, of hitting HR's, his "assumed" performance enhancements or a combination of all the above.

If I had a vote, Bonds and McGwire get in, along with Gossage. Rice and Dawson, should also get in. I truly enjoyed Concepcion playing, perhaps one of the smoothest SS of all-times, certainly one of my favorites.

Yes Bonds may get in but definitely not on the first ballot. And depending on what happens between now and when he is eligible will determine whether or not he gets in.

What about the guy from Chicago, Paul Ladewski, he sent in a blank ballot.

Mike and Mike said on their show this morning that Paul sent in a blank ballot because he does not want to vote for anyone in the steriod era until more is known. Very interesting position, but it prevented Ripken from getting a unanimous vote. Oh well, the important thing is he got in.

Mike and Mike also said that blank ballots have been sent in in previous years in protest of Pete Rose not being on the ballot. Not a new phenomenon.

Both Ripken and Gwynn were no question. I would liked to see Goose to get in, hopefully next year will be his year.

Bonds will make it. Maybe not on the first ballot, 2nd probably.

Paul Ladewski wasn't the only one. I believe that there were 3 empty ballots in all. Ladewki's reasoning, along with the other two, is just asinine. Does he actually believe that Ripken Jr and Tony Gwynn used steriods? Please.... Ladewski isn't even an MLB writer. He was at one time, but now he's an NBA writer. MLB needs to go through every one of these voters and check to see if they still qualify to even vote for MLB HOFer's anymore.