Does streaming hurt ticket sales?

theguru

I know a lot of AD’s think it does. I guess they have the attendance numbers so they may have a better understanding with data. Or it could just be based on fear.

I know programs have starting charging the broadcaster money to stream the games. Usually the broadcaster will in turn sell sponsorship ads to cover the cost.

Some of the bigger programs have entered into “exclusive contracts” allowing only one broadcaster to stream video.

Some end up charge of money to view the stream. However they do it the school gets $ out of the deal.

I also think schools are making things harder on fans with these new stadiums.  Most of them are not nearly as fan friendly as the older stadiums..

7 hours ago, PP1 said:

What does hurt ticket sales, in my opinion, is the online ticket platform. I think there are people who do not like downloading apps, putting in their card number, and paying a 2 dollar processing fee.

This is interesting. I know a lot of high school football attendees are older people. They probably would have an issue with this.  I know I have to download the app and buy the tickets for several older people because they don’t know how.

it’s probably a marginal amount, but all these reasons add up somewhat.

I just think the interest in high school sports is dropping for more the most part unfortunately.

I'd like to see the schools produce the games using students in the production behind the scenes. Running cameras, filming ads, doing all of the tech work to put the broadcast on, while maybe using local experienced announcers.

Let the athletic dept have some of the ad revenue to offset any lost ticket sales. Maybe let boosters sell ads and keep a portion of the proceeds, a portion to the AD, a portion to schools video program and a stipend to pay announcers.

It could really be a great opportunity for schools that handle it correctly. They could broadcast home football, soccer, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball games/matches. Each of those booster groups could sell ads to be shown during the games.

• Like 4

I doubt that ticket sales are negatively impacted by the live stream.  For myself I would choose to go to the game if at all possible. Like many fans I am now retired and live a goodly ways away from Kentucky.  While I manage to take in a couple of games live each year the live stream allows me to stay connected.  Last week is a good example as I watched three games over the weekend here in South Florida; one from Lexington and two from Bowling Green.  I think my alma mater has the right idea in using students to do the broadcasts.  Education can be a great teacher not limited to the classroom.

• Like 1

For anyone that does not think streaming hurts ticket sales please ask yourself this question.  If a game is being streamed will there be at least one person that decides to watch the free stream instead of going to the game and buying a ticket?  I think we all know that answer is yes.  With that said, I do agree with the sentiment that the impact will be minimal and over time it may actually lead to higher ticket sales and more overall support for the programs that provide streams.  I think this context is important, especially for those "powerful people" that dictate what happens in the school system (the people) they work for. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'd like to see the schools produce the games using students in the production behind the scenes. Running cameras, filming ads, doing all of the tech work to put the broadcast on, while maybe using local experienced announcers.

This is basically the current Pegasus Sports model.    We even have had some student announcers we've trained, some of who you currently listen to here in the Commonwealth....

• Like 1

The service that videos and photos provide goes way beyond the potential uptick or loss of dollars at the gate.  There are so many people who want to be there and cannot for so, so many reasons.  Everything from divorced parents who do not live in the same city; military families are on active service or called-up as part of the NG; ill family members who can not or should not be out in public; and other circumstances that keep people from attending.   Getting to see their family member that they can not see otherwise is so valuable.  

As a photographer, I had a parent who was on deployment with the NG one season.  He came up to me and said the following when he got back - "Every Saturday morning I would look for your pictures.  (I would post up to 1,000 a included almost every play) It was what I looked forward to every week."

If a school gets a chance to stream they need look to do it if all possible.  They have no idea how many people that may benefit from it. 

• Like 2

Good points discussed thus far.  One other thing to consider, and maybe it should be a separate thread, is the price of some high school games.  Jefferson Co. schools is charging $10 per game this year.  I think that is a bit pricey.  What are entry fees in other areas?  

11 minutes ago, bruin66 said:

Good points discussed thus far.  One other thing to consider, and maybe it should be a separate thread, is the price of some high school games.  Jefferson Co. schools is charging $10 per game this year.  I think that is a bit pricey.  What are entry fees in other areas?  

A season ticket for Bowling Green is $45 with the fees.  They have 5 home games those tickets can be used for. So that’s $9 a game.

I think single game tickets are $8, plus the fees so I believe it evens out.  No discount for buying a season ticket.

No big deal for me. I look at it as donation. But I can where if you have two or three kids you wanna take every week it can add up.  I know people will say it’s a lot cheaper than a movie, but I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison.

• Like 1

At this level with the limited amount of fans that attend games in the first place I would say there has to be at least some effect, even if only slight.  I could maybe see it being more of an issue as the weather starts to get worse.   However I would venture to say that most people that would attend a game in person still would even with the choice of having a stream available.   If schools think it's an issue then maybe charge a small fee to have access?   Putting on a stream still takes man power and resources.   
Personally I used to attend almost all home games, and often most away games when I still lived in Owensboro.   If OHS were to put together something where they streamed their games I wouldn't mind paying for it just so I could still follow them better from out of state. 

26 minutes ago, JCrowe86 said:

At this level with the limited amount of fans that attend games in the first place I would say there has to be at least some effect, even if only slight.  I could maybe see it being more of an issue as the weather starts to get worse.   However I would venture to say that most people that would attend a game in person still would even with the choice of having a stream available.   If schools think it's an issue then maybe charge a small fee to have access?   Putting on a stream still takes man power and resources.   
Personally I used to attend almost all home games, and often most away games when I still lived in Owensboro.   If OHS were to put together something where they streamed their games I wouldn't mind paying for it just so I could still follow them better from out of state. 

I mean I think the schools get money from whoever is doing the streaming.  And most of the broadcaster’s get sponsorships to pay for It, so it’s free to fans.  At least in a lot of cases.