Newport Football Stadium

21 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

If they can’t play at Newport Stadium, I guess Newport could use Bellevue and Dayton, since it’s so close. Maybe somewhere like Holmes or Highlands would be better because of turf. Obviously this puts some teams in tough spots this year but getting the stadium fixed will be great for the long term. 

The only bad thing about that is that even with just one HS team each playing at Gilligan and Davis, those fields usually didn't fair well in the late season.  As far as I know, neither has made the move to field turf.   2 teams playing on them and they will be toast by late September.

• Like 2

Love that old stadium. First playoff game as a head coach was there. 1992 Paris vs. New Cath. Still remember those guys coming out of the lockerroom. Good grief they were big.  My DT comes to the sideline... "Coach, that technique is not working!"  🙂

2013 we (Mason vs. Newport) played there in a driving rain storm. JCB broke up a pass on 4th down to end the game. 

Sad. That is a great place for HS football. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:57 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

If they can’t play at Newport Stadium, I guess Newport could use Bellevue and Dayton, since it’s so close. Maybe somewhere like Holmes or Highlands would be better because of turf. Obviously this puts some teams in tough spots this year but getting the stadium fixed will be great for the long term. 

Won't be at Highlands. The FTJFL pays big money to have access to that Facility from 12 p.m.-Close on Saturdays in season. Friday nights are a possibility when Highlands in on the road but Locker room logistics would be a factor as well. 

On 4/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, ChiefSmoke said:

Love that old stadium. First playoff game as a head coach was there. 1992 Paris vs. New Cath. Still remember those guys coming out of the lockerroom. Good grief they were big.  My DT comes to the sideline... "Coach, that technique is not working!"  🙂

2013 we (Mason vs. Newport) played there in a driving rain storm. JCB broke up a pass on 4th down to end the game. 

Sad. That is a great place for HS football. 

Construction in 1938.

newport2169.jpg

Newly opened in 1940.

newport1649.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was there back in the fall.  The stands were in rough shape as the steps were deteriorating in sections.  Metal plates were installed in some spots to help.  I didn't pay a ton of attention, but the pressbox didn't seem too bad.  Now sitting up on top of it was a little sketchy.  The playing surface seemed to be in really good shape at the time.

1 minute ago, nees1212 said:

I was there back in the fall.  The stands were in rough shape as the steps were deteriorating in sections.  Metal plates were installed in some spots to help.  I didn't pay a ton of attention, but the pressbox didn't seem too bad.  Now sitting up on top of it was a little sketchy.  The playing surface seemed to be in really good shape at the time.

I was told at some point or another that the electric in the pressbox was the danger.

29 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Won't be at Highlands. The FTJFL pays big money to have access to that Facility from 12 p.m.-Close on Saturdays in season. Friday nights are a possibility when Highlands in on the road but Locker room logistics would be a factor as well. 

Of course they'd have to work out some type of deal with any school. I was simply mentioning nearby stadiums.

47 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

What about Thursday nights at Highlands?

I'm assuming Holmes' field, which is turf, is being looked into.

Someone mentioned earlier that Newport is looking into getting the turf replaced prior to the fall sports season and bringing in temporary bleachers....not ideal, obviously, but I'd say there's a little bit of a chance that that's doable. Obviously, the Wildcats' practices aren't going to be happening on the field any time soon, though.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Construction in 1938.

newport2169.jpg

Newly opened in 1940.

newport1649.jpg

The Cincinnati Reds didn't have lights at their stadium until 1935. Newport High School had lights at their stadium by the time it was dedicated on September 22, 1939.

The dedication plaque was presented at the start of construction in 1936. The stadium, which originally included the field, tennis courts, the track, two playgrounds and a wading pool, was built at $115,000 construction cost.
FRNnOpQX0AE8OWB.jpg

4 hours ago, BirdDaddy said:

The junior football league pays to use that facility? Isn't that their feeder program? I understand some cost but "big" money??