Newport Football Stadium

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

The Roman coliseum probably has more defined steps than Newports stadium and the last time I was there was probably 7 years ago so who knows how bad they are now.

Watched a MS game there a year or two ago. Really really bad shape. It had entire sections taped off. 

• Thanks 1

I was trying to remember the last time I was in Newport stadium and I think it was 2018. That surprised me.  I thought I had been there more recently than that. I did not see any issues the last time I was there, but as I stated above that was 2018. I was there in 2020 but had to watch the game from outside the fence because of COVID.

Heard from someone involved at Newport yesterday that the entire stadium, turf and stands, are condemned and must be replaced immediately. 

Same person said that NCC would be playing their home games at Thomas More University this fall as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gbballfan21 said:

Heard from someone involved at Newport yesterday that the entire stadium, turf and stands, are condemned and must be replaced immediately. 

Same person said that NCC would be playing their home games at Thomas More University this fall as well. 

The turf part surprises me. Didn't they replace the turf after a flood not long ago?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Thanks for that and in my opinion this is totally unacceptable from the powers that be.  Also, considering two high schools play there and a lot of youth games are played there this should have been a priority. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

Looking at it from a building code perspective, you can repair a condemned building/structure so it is no longer condemned. So "must be replaced immediately" wouldn't be completely accurately. Must be repaired could be entirely accurate, though, and is still REALLY costly in a lot of cases - sometimes moreso than replacing.

The problem with Newport having to scramble like this to figure out what to do for fall sports is the fact that a feasibility study to research whether or not functional replacement is more cost effective than repair is gonna take time, and then rebuilding an entire stadium like that is gonna take even more time.

Assuming the stadium has been condemned, I've got a feeling that Newport is going to be scrambling to see what kind of repairs they can get done to make the stadium usable for '22 fall sports - which unfortunately isn't the best way to go about this.

3 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Covington Holy Cross plays football at Thomas More as well, don't they?

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Covington Holy Cross plays football at Thomas More as well, don't they?

Yep. That's gonna make TMU an even trickier situation.

New Cath has had some games that they had to play at Cov Cath due to Newport Stadium scheduling conflicts in years past. And now Bishop Brossart has a field too. Brossart does have girls fall sports to contend with as well, though, whereas Cov Cath does not.

• Like 1

They mentioned using portable bleachers for this season if the turf was deemed safe to play on. 

As far as two teams playing at TMU, it would alleviate some officiating headaches with some of those games needing to be played on Thursday nights. 

13 hours ago, RetiredFan said:

They have become a safety hazard over the years. I have heard they were considering moving games. not sure if this is true. 

Just verified this with New Cath. The whole stadium was condemned about 6 weeks ago.

The Breds have been working on scheduling home games elsewhere and have 3 of their 5 home games scheduled at alternate fields.

No word on what measures Newport has taken thus far.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Just verified this with New Cath. The whole stadium was condemned about 6 weeks ago.

The Breds have been working on scheduling home games elsewhere and have 3 of their 5 home games scheduled at alternate fields.

No word on what measures Newport has taken thus far.

If they can’t play at Newport Stadium, I guess Newport could use Bellevue and Dayton, since it’s so close. Maybe somewhere like Holmes or Highlands would be better because of turf. Obviously this puts some teams in tough spots this year but getting the stadium fixed will be great for the long term.