Newport Football Stadium

1 hour ago, Buck2 said:

They've known about the issue and even resealed the bleachers above their football locker room several years ago. 

Newport also has a double nickel tax. If money is an issue then they should lower the pay of the superintendent and administrators. I heard when he retired that Middleton made 250,000 and the Principal now Mike Hunter makes over 120,000. 

I am not advocating for lowering wages for people; when that happens you lose quality people.

All I am simply saying (and clearly was misunderstood by other posters such as @9068 and @Colonels_Wear_Blue) is that superintendents and administrators have an obligation to know about these things and put plans in place so that they can be gradually replaced or repaired so that the stadium never gets this bad. It quite literally is a major responsibility of leadership positions to be forward thinking and earmark monies for gradual replacements and improvements so that a school is never hit with a major unforeseen expense at once. It would be no different than an administrator planning to replace school materials like computers, textbooks, etc. years in advance. I am not saying the stadium should have been torn down and replaced all at once. That is unrealistic (even in "bluebird" land as @9068 calls it). 

On 4/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, Buck2 said:

They've known about the issue and even resealed the bleachers above their football locker room several years ago. 

Newport also has a double nickel tax. If money is an issue then they should lower the pay of the superintendent and administrators. I heard when he retired that Middleton made 250,000 and the Principal now Mike Hunter makes over 120,000. 

I doubt Middleton made 250,000. I believe that would be the highest superintendent salary in the state. I would be surprised if he made 200,000.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, Buck2 said:

59 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I doubt Middleton made 250,000. I believe that would be the highest superintendent salary in the state. I would be surprised if he made 200,000.

Public records show superintendent Kelly Middleton made $183,816 in the 2019-20 school year, his last year of employment before stepping down at Newport Independent. Newport Independent has 5 educational institutions: Newport High School, Newport Intermediate, Newport Primary, Newport Regional (located in the Campbell County juvenile detention center) and the Newport School of Innovation, which I believe operates as an independent educational program in the intermediate school and high school. The district's 1,528 students account for for 1 out of every 418 students (0.23%) in the entire state.

For comparison, JCPS just renewed superintendent Marty Pollio's contract for four more years this past November, and his salary will be $277,062 per year. JCPS has 167 educational institutions. The district's 96,000 students account for 1 out of every 7 students (15.04%) in the entire state.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Public records show superintendent Kelly Middleton made $96,271 in the 2019-20 school year, his last year of employment before stepping down at Newport Independent. Newport Independent has 5 educational institutions: Newport High School, Newport Intermediate, Newport Primary, Newport Regional (located in the Campbell County juvenile detention center) and the Newport School of Innovation, which I believe operates as an independent educational program in the intermediate school and high school. The district's 1,528 students account for for 1 out of every 418 students (0.23%) in the entire state.

For comparison, JCPS just renewed superintendent Marty Pollio's contract for four more years this past November, and his salary will be $277,062 per year. JCPS has 167 educational institutions. The district's 96,000 students account for 1 out of every 7 students (15.04%) in the entire state.

Do public records show the car, etc? 

22 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Public records show superintendent Kelly Middleton made $96,271 in the 2019-20 school year, his last year of employment before stepping down at Newport Independent. Newport Independent has 5 educational institutions: Newport High School, Newport Intermediate, Newport Primary, Newport Regional (located in the Campbell County juvenile detention center) and the Newport School of Innovation, which I believe operates as an independent educational program in the intermediate school and high school. The district's 1,528 students account for for 1 out of every 418 students (0.23%) in the entire state.

For comparison, JCPS just renewed superintendent Marty Pollio's contract for four more years this past November, and his salary will be $277,062 per year. JCPS has 167 educational institutions. The district's 96,000 students account for 1 out of every 7 students (15.04%) in the entire state.

19 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Do public records show the car, etc? 

15 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

They don't specifically itemize a car, but it does include pension contributions.

Shoot, that was the wrong tab of the spreadsheet. That was the fringes/benefits/pension contributions tab. Kelly Middleton's contract in his final school year, including base salary, fringes, benefits, and pension contributions, was for $183,816 in his eighth and final year as superintendent of Newport Independent.

I'll update that in my original post to prevent confusion.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Shoot, that was the wrong tab of the spreadsheet. That was the fringes/benefits/pension contributions tab. Kelly Middleton's contract in his final school year, including base salary, fringes, benefits, and pension contributions, was for $183,816 in his eighth and final year as superintendent of Newport Independent.

I'll update that in my original post to prevent confusion.

Thats more like it.  Thanks for fessing up.

26 minutes ago, Royals and Saints Fan said:

Yes, what ChickenWyngz said.  One of the highest in the state just as Mason County's is now.

Newport Independent's superintendent is currently 39th highest out of 171 school districts in the state.

It looks like superintendent Rick Ross just renewed his contract with Mason County and as of this year he is currently the 8th-highest paid superintendent in the state.

SUPERINTENDENT SALARIES 2021-22
1 FAYETTE COUNTY $304,396
2 JEFFERSON COUNTY $277,062
3 KENTON COUNTY $235,000
4 BEECHWOOD INDEPENDENT $234,840
5 WARREN COUNTY $225,000
6 SCOTT COUNTY $222,300
7 BOONE COUNTY $203,269
8 MASON COUNTY $200,559
9 WOODFORD COUNTY $190,000
10 DAYTON INDEPENDENT $187,101
11 MURRAY INDEPENDENT $182,373
12 BARREN COUNTY $181,000
13 TAYLOR COUNTY $180,000
14 PIKEVILLE INDEPENDENT $176,500
15 PIKE COUNTY $175,000
16 HARDIN COUNTY $173,250
17 BOYLE COUNTY $171,645
18 DAVIESS COUNTY $170,174
19 LUDLOW INDEPENDENT $170,172
20 JESSAMINE COUNTY $170,040
21 RUSSELL INDEPENDENT $170,000
22 BOWLING GREEN INDEPENDENT $169,950
23 CAMPBELL COUNTY $168,084
24 SIMPSON COUNTY $166,864
25 OLDHAM COUNTY $165,000
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Newport Independent's superintendent is currently 39th highest out of 171 school districts in the state.

It looks like superintendent Rick Ross just renewed his contract with Mason County and as of this year he is currently the 8th-highest paid superintendent in the state.

SUPERINTENDENT SALARIES 2021-22
1 FAYETTE COUNTY $304,396
2 JEFFERSON COUNTY $277,062
3 KENTON COUNTY $235,000
4 BEECHWOOD INDEPENDENT $234,840
5 WARREN COUNTY $225,000
6 SCOTT COUNTY $222,300
7 BOONE COUNTY $203,269
8 MASON COUNTY $200,559
9 WOODFORD COUNTY $190,000
10 DAYTON INDEPENDENT $187,101
11 MURRAY INDEPENDENT $182,373
12 BARREN COUNTY $181,000
13 TAYLOR COUNTY $180,000
14 PIKEVILLE INDEPENDENT $176,500
15 PIKE COUNTY $175,000
16 HARDIN COUNTY $173,250
17 BOYLE COUNTY $171,645
18 DAVIESS COUNTY $170,174
19 LUDLOW INDEPENDENT $170,172
20 JESSAMINE COUNTY $170,040
21 RUSSELL INDEPENDENT $170,000
22 BOWLING GREEN INDEPENDENT $169,950
23 CAMPBELL COUNTY $168,084
24 SIMPSON COUNTY $166,864
25 OLDHAM COUNTY $165,000

image.thumb.jpeg.8204bd12d5b724dc6f7f4ce5d82782f1.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8204bd12d5b724dc6f7f4ce5d82782f1.jpeg

The way I look at it, most superintendents are expected to either have a doctoral degree, or else have a bachelors, their rank one and at least one masters degree. Superintendents also work year-round. They also have many, MANY evening meetings and generally have obligatory appearances at sporting events from time to time. In the Newport Independent school district, lets say (conservatively) that between 5 schools, they have what, at least 150 employees? Teachers, school administrators, administrative support staff, cafeteria staff, custodial staff, bus drivers, and then district administrators and their support staff...150 employees sounds relatively reasonable.

I've gotta say, if I've got that much schooling and that many degrees...and if I have 150 people working on under me who, when it comes down to it, I'm the end-all-be-all for answering for, you better believe I'm expecting to make more than a $150K salary. $200K definitely sounds closer to what I've got in mind, if not $250K. If I ever walked into any job interview for any company where I'm expected to oversee 150+ employees, and that job interviewer tells me that they aren't gonna pay me at leeeeeast $175K, I'm gonna laugh at them and tell them where they can shove it right before I turn around and walk out the door.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The way I look at it, most superintendents are expected to either have a doctoral degree, or else have a bachelors, their rank one and at least one masters degree. Superintendents also work year-round. They also have many, MANY evening meetings and generally have obligatory appearances at sporting events from time to time. In the Newport Independent school district, lets say (conservatively) that between 5 schools, they have what, at least 150 employees? Teachers, school administrators, administrative support staff, cafeteria staff, custodial staff, bus drivers, and then district administrators and their support staff...150 employees sounds relatively reasonable.

I've gotta say, if I've got that much schooling and that many degrees...and if I have 150 people working on under me who, when it comes down to it, I'm the end-all-be-all for answering for, you better believe I'm expecting to make more than a $150K salary. $200K definitely sounds closer to what I've got in mind, if not $250K. If I ever walked into any job interview for any company where I'm expected to oversee 150+ employees, and that job interviewer tells me that they aren't gonna pay me at leeeeeast $175K, I'm gonna laugh at them and tell them where they can shove it right before I turn around and walk out the door.

Not being smart here… I had no idea Newport had 5 schools.

As far as how educated they are, I agree 100%, but pay a big chunk of teachers substantially more too because they have the same rank 1, Masters and Bachelors. 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, RetiredFan said:

How did we get this far off topic?

All just part of the discussion. We're talking about maintenance, and now about the functional replacement of a high school athletic stadium. Discussion surrounding the people who make decisions about when, if, and how that maintenance and functional replacement certainly makes plenty of sense, and so does talking about the ways in which the school district makes large money expenditures - in this case, on some salaries/payroll within the district. 

The discussion has evolved a bit to include other things, but it's still pretty well right on topic, if you ask me.

• Like 3