Carter G. Woodson Academy & Frederick Douglass: Two Schools, One Team?

I do not understand why individuals want to limit the ability of students to play sports anywhere? Sports teach teamwork, work ethic, require students to have good grades, give them opportunities for college admission and education. Are we helping our youth to achieve or we just have jealous squabbling adults?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

If you mean a program that the coaches work hard to promote their players and devote most of their time to make players and the team the best they can be. Also success breads success. Yes certain schools and even certain programs in a school draws athletes that are good at that sport. A perfect example right now if a player is a very good football player and prospect and lives say in Danville and parents are well off I would guess the kid will probably now go to Boyle County just as they will go to Douglass now over other city schools in Fayette Co. I would also say if a good football player with wealthy parents currently lived in Lafayette’s district the parent may very well pay the tuition and send their kid to Lex. Christian so they would have a better chance to succeed. 

Look I am not complaining about this.  It is a parents job to do what is best for their kids in order for them to be successful.  But other schools in the county that do not have a program like this which I truly believe is a good program it creates an advantage to attract students who might be excellent athletes.  It also allows students to get their foot in the door without having to live in the FD district correct? Again this is not at the fault of FD but at the superintendent of Fayette County for not seeing what the ripple effects would be.  When it was at its own location and students had to play sports at their resident district there was no advantage.   

44 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

If you mean a program that the coaches work hard to promote their players and devote most of their time to make players and the team the best they can be. Also success breads success. Yes certain schools and even certain programs in a school draws athletes that are good at that sport. A perfect example right now if a player is a very good football player and prospect and lives say in Danville and parents are well off I would guess the kid will probably now go to Boyle County just as they will go to Douglass now over other city schools in Fayette Co. I would also say if a good football player with wealthy parents currently lived in Lafayette’s district the parent may very well pay the tuition and send their kid to Lex. Christian so they would have a better chance to succeed. 

Also not one time have I said a negative word about the coaches at FD for promoting the football program and working hard.  You are just looking for other things to bring up except saying that Frederick Douglass High School has a school within a school that no other in Fayette County has that has also attracted some highly talented football players into the school building.  I don't understand why just admitting that is so hard to do.

2 hours ago, Horsepenny said:

I do not understand why individuals want to limit the ability of students to play sports anywhere? Sports teach teamwork, work ethic, require students to have good grades, give them opportunities for college admission and education. Are we helping our youth to achieve or we just have jealous squabbling adults?

This.

Let the kids transfer. There are 250+ KHSAA member schools in the state and if 25 kids from every grade in every school play sports that makes 25,000+ kids playing KHSAA sports in the state. And how many kids try to transfer in any given year that will actually result in any real change to day to day win-loss records of a school? 100? 200? Even if there were 200 bigtime transfers in a year, and I don't think there are or would be nearly that many, that's only 0.8% of the total students competing in the state. This is a lot of arguing over an overall small portion.

Let them transfer when they want, where they want.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Tell me you aren't trying to say that the coaches at Douglass work harder to promote their players and devote more time to making their players/team the best they can be than most other coaches do in the state...

11 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Look I am not complaining about this.  It is a parents job to do what is best for their kids in order for them to be successful.  But other schools in the county that do not have a program like this which I truly believe is a good program it creates an advantage to attract students who might be excellent athletes.  It also allows students to get their foot in the door without having to live in the FD district correct? Again this is not at the fault of FD but at the superintendent of Fayette County for not seeing what the ripple effects would be.  When it was at its own location and students had to play sports at their resident district there was no advantage.   

1. You have to be accepted into CGWA

2. It starts in the 6th grade

3. Only 50 initial students are accepted per 6th grade class

One doesn't 'get their foot in the door' at Douglass by casually applying to CGWA. Students-athletes LEAVE Carter G to play at other schools, they don't leave other schools to attend CGWA and then play sports there. I haven't seen any athletes that attend CGWA that left another school, so it would appear this so-called advantage isn't even being utilized.

14 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Tell me you aren't trying to say that the coaches at Douglass work harder to promote their players and devote more time to making their players/team the best they can be than most other coaches do in the state...

This is not meant to come across as argumentative. I agree there are a lot of programs that do an excellent job developing and promoting their athletes. 

There are a little over 200 schools that play football I believe. So how do we determine what a majority is?

Douglas is one of the best programs at promoting their athletes. Many in the state have noticed and have begun to copy their methods. They take a very hands on approach to it. They also produce top level graphics, videos, and are very good with social media. They have developed a number of very good relationships with colleges, especially big name D1 schools. 

Athletic development is something else they do extremely well. They have one of the top S&C coaches in the state. Most programs don’t even have a true S&C coach. They have a top level weight room that was patterned after SEC schools. They do a number of more modern approaches to development and injury prevention. 

Either Lexington has had an uptick in talent or Douglas has found a way to tap into that talent, develop and promote it. People see the talent and act as if it just showed up. That they are just rolling out the ball there. The success they’ve had is yes due to talent but also to all the other things they do. Believe it or not not everyone could walk through those doors and do what the staff has done. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Well lets look at Boyle County and compare them to Douglass. 1. Boyle County does not have an academy attached to that is a separate school and kids that go to that school are allowed to play sports for them. 2. Boyle County does not have a magnet program that allows them to pull kids from anywhere in their district regardless of district lines and allows them to be eligible. Boyle County cannot pull students like Douglass can. Douglass was pulling players from the Bryan Station area through the BioMed program. So you are comparing apples to oranges on that front. Douglass has way more avenues than 99% of programs in the state to get the best players. Hats off to them for having those options but its not a fair comparison. 

1 hour ago, barrel said:

This is not meant to come across as argumentative. I agree there are a lot of programs that do an excellent job developing and promoting their athletes. 

There are a little over 200 schools that play football I believe. So how do we determine what a majority is?

Douglas is one of the best programs at promoting their athletes. Many in the state have noticed and have begun to copy their methods. They take a very hands on approach to it. They also produce top level graphics, videos, and are very good with social media. They have developed a number of very good relationships with colleges, especially big name D1 schools. 

Athletic development is something else they do extremely well. They have one of the top S&C coaches in the state. Most programs don’t even have a true S&C coach. They have a top level weight room that was patterned after SEC schools. They do a number of more modern approaches to development and injury prevention. 

Either Lexington has had an uptick in talent or Douglas has found a way to tap into that talent, develop and promote it. People see the talent and act as if it just showed up. That they are just rolling out the ball there. The success they’ve had is yes due to talent but also to all the other things they do. Believe it or not not everyone could walk through those doors and do what the staff has done. 

The district built the school and all athletic facilities. First class everywhere there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunninReb said:

Well lets look at Boyle County and compare them to Douglass. 1. Boyle County does not have an academy attached to that is a separate school and kids that go to that school are allowed to play sports for them. 2. Boyle County does not have a magnet program that allows them to pull kids from anywhere in their district regardless of district lines and allows them to be eligible. Boyle County cannot pull students like Douglass can. Douglass was pulling players from the Bryan Station area through the BioMed program. So you are comparing apples to oranges on that front. Douglass has way more avenues than 99% of programs in the state to get the best players. Hats off to them for having those options but its not a fair comparison. 

Not at all I was only saying that when a program has established a tradition of winning (Boyle has definitely done that)that parents that have the means a lot will  if given the choice in the county will go to Boyle. As to you point about the bio med and Bryan Station every HS in Fayette has different programs and the kids if accepted into a program can go to that school for that program. 
YesI’ll be the first to agree that Douglass has more avenues than a lot of schools, but my point is the school administration and coaches from Douglass had nothing to do to create those opportunities it was created by the district’s superintendent and school board with input probably by the district athletic director. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RunninReb said:

Apples to oranges is comparing a two school county to a six school county. Compare a Warren Co. or a Hardin County school to Douglass. 

And Danville may want to argue your "Boyle County cannot pull students like Douglass can" quip.

47 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Apples to oranges is comparing a two school county to a six school county. Compare a Warren Co. or a Hardin County school to Douglass. 

And Danville may want to argue your "Boyle County cannot pull students like Douglass can" quip.

Boyle County Schools don't even have two high schools. BCHS is the only high school in the district. Danville is an independent school district and Danville High School is the only high school for that district. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

So you proved my point. It is not a fair comparison which is what I was saying. Unsure as to what point you are trying to prove. Danville can quip all they want but Boyle County did not cause the issues that led some students to transfer. They did. 

On 4/20/2022 at 2:11 PM, zoneblitz24 said:

I wish more schools had a program like CGWA.  I’ll be pushing for my grandson to attend there and he could care less about sports.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1