Carter G. Woodson Academy & Frederick Douglass: Two Schools, One Team?

I went ahead and split the posts about the relationship between Carter G. Woodson Academy and  Frederick Douglass High School out separate from the Jamarrion Harkless (Frederick Douglass '23) Recruiting thread so we can give the discussion about Harkless' athletic prowess and recruiting with its own thread separate from this one.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@zoneblitz24 may well have intended his post to take a few jabs, but I will say, I'm still left shaking my head as to how Frederick Douglass is allowed - in all sports - to have student athletes on their teams that, by your own admission, are students who are expressly attending a separate school. I know I've always wondered what the KHSAA's reasoning is for allowing students from one school to play sports for another.

You specifically pointed out that Woodson and Douglass are truly separate schools when you refuted @StraightShooter's post about the talent that Woodson allegedly brings to Douglass. You said Ty Bryant and Caden Johnson are the only D1 football athletes Woodson has produced yet, and that Walker Parks, Dekel Crowdus, Dane Key, Jager Burton, Devin Neal all graduated from Douglass and not Woodson.

So if they are TRULY different schools, as you seem to imply, then why do they get to combine student athletes for their sports teams?

Surely it isn't simply because one school offers sports and the other doesn't. That is not an exception allowed by the KHSAA bylaws. Even with the two schools being in the same school district, that's not something the KHSAA has ever given precedent to.

Case in point, Brown High School is a JCPS school, and it doesn't have football. Brown students aren't allowed to play on football teams at other schools within the school district just because their school doesn't have a team. Villa Madonna, St. Henry, and Covington Latin are all without football teams...but their students aren't allowed to head elsewhere in the Diocese of Covington school district to play.

Do you not see where a lot of people are left scratching their heads as to why Woodson students are permitted by the KHSAA to play sports at another school while that same permission isn't granted elsewhere?

This is something best asked of FCPS and the KHSAA. Clearly there is no issue with the governing bodies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@zoneblitz24 may well have intended his post to take a few jabs, but I will say, I'm still left shaking my head as to how Frederick Douglass is allowed - in all sports - to have student athletes on their teams that, by your own admission, are students who are expressly attending a separate school. I know I've always wondered what the KHSAA's reasoning is for allowing students from one school to play sports for another.

You specifically pointed out that Woodson and Douglass are truly separate schools when you refuted @StraightShooter's post about the talent that Woodson allegedly brings to Douglass. You said Ty Bryant and Caden Johnson are the only D1 football athletes Woodson has produced yet, and that Walker Parks, Dekel Crowdus, Dane Key, Jager Burton, Devin Neal all graduated from Douglass and not Woodson.

So if they are TRULY different schools, as you seem to imply, then why do they get to combine student athletes for their sports teams?

Surely it isn't simply because one school offers sports and the other doesn't. That is not an exception allowed by the KHSAA bylaws. Even with the two schools being in the same school district, that's not something the KHSAA has ever given precedent to.

Case in point, Brown High School is a JCPS school, and it doesn't have football. Brown students aren't allowed to play on football teams at other schools within the school district just because their school doesn't have a team. Villa Madonna, St. Henry, and Covington Latin are all without football teams...but their students aren't allowed to head elsewhere in the Diocese of Covington school district to play.

Do you not see where a lot of people are left scratching their heads as to why Woodson students are permitted by the KHSAA to play sports at another school while that same permission isn't granted elsewhere?

Well the answer to me is obvious.

Those other schools are PRIVATE (sans Brown).

Different rules for different avenues of education!!!😊

4 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Well the answer to me is obvious.

Those other schools are PRIVATE (sans Brown).

Different rules for different avenues of education!!!😊

The KHSAA does not have different rules for private schools than they do for public schools and anyone who thinks they do is 100% mistaken. Everyone competes according to the exact same KHSAA bylaws. The Diocese of Covington school district is a school district the same as Warren County, Boone County, Raceland, Somerset, or JCPS.

4 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

This is something best asked of FCPS and the KHSAA. Clearly there is no issue with the governing bodies. 

Agreed. But to the point of my post, can you see why the situation between Woodson and Douglass would leave a lot of other school districts scratching their head and saying, "Hey, wait a minute..."?

8 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The KHSAA does not have different rules for private schools than they do for public schools and anyone who thinks they do is 100% mistaken. Everyone competes according to the exact same KHSAA bylaws. The Diocese of Covington school district is a school district the same as Warren County, Boone County, Raceland, Somerset, or JCPS.

While my post was said in jest (notice the smiley face), if you think the KHSAA governs publics and privates the same you are mistaken.

There are MANY instances of transfers that are looked at differently depending on which way a student is transferring (public to private VS private to public)

I could name names from the Louisville area just this last year but will not as this not the proper discussion for that.

Frederick Douglass has an advantage with CGWA that other districts around the state do not have but most of the kids transfer to Frederick Douglass using the BioMed magnet that is at Douglass. Each Fayette school has this. This also gives schools in Lexington an advantage and how Douglass has gotten the best players. 

20 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

I tip my hat for FD getting it in their building and somehow getting KHSAA to allow students that are enrolled at a independent school to play for FD.

Just to clarify this part of your statement Frederick Douglass had nothing to do or no say when Carter G. Woodson was put into the plans when the new school was being built. That decision was made by the superintendent and school board. Also their numbers are included in the schools count for football classification. Actually currently and for the past 3 years both basketball and baseball has had more students from there on their teams than the football team. However, I guess since those teams have been good and very respectful just not the success of the football program no one cares about the actual facts or true numbers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Agreed. But to the point of my post, can you see why the situation between Woodson and Douglass would leave a lot of other school districts scratching their head and saying, "Hey, wait a minute..."?

Yessir I can see what you are saying. I am not of a capacity to comment as to those ins and outs. I just know what CGWA is and what FDHS is. If there was something against the rules, I am certain that the academic entity or whoever it may be wouldn't have allowed it to proceed. 

If people are curious of that aspect, I am not the person to debate with. However, my initial input was to refute the post saying that CGWA is the "biggest athletic advantage" or whatever that statement was. That was certainly something the poster heard casually from another person who probably isn't from or near Fayette County.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Just to clarify this part of your statement Frederick Douglass had nothing to do or no say when Carter G. Woodson was put into the plans when the new school was being built. That decision was made by the superintendent and school board. Also their numbers are included in the schools count for football classification. Actually currently and for the past 3 years both basketball and baseball has had more students from there on their teams than the football team. However, I guess since those teams have been good and very respectful just not the success of the football program no one cares about the actual facts or true numbers. 

People seem hellbent on saying FCPS created a high school with the sole intent of becoming a statewide football power. Lol. Just wait until the new middle school is built. SMH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

When a program brings in two 3 star rated players that is what people pay attention to.  If it just brings in some average basketball and baseball players then people don't pay that much attention to it. 

5 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

When a program brings in two 3 star rated players that is what people pay attention to.  If it just brings in some average basketball and baseball players then people don't pay that much attention to it. 

True, but my point was neither of those two players were part of CGWA and both of those young men attended a private school and I assume their parents who were pretty well to do felt their kids could succeed better at Frederick Douglass than the private school they previously attended. They were well off families and could afford to buy houses in the Douglass school district I really don’t see what the issue is with that personally. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

True, but my point was neither of those two players were part of CGWA and both of those young men attended a private school and I assume their parents who were pretty well to do felt their kids could succeed better at Frederick Douglass than the private school they previously attended. They were well off families and could afford to buy houses in the Douglass school district I really don’t see what the issue is with that personally. 

The issue if not every public school has a program like that to attract those two players which is an advantage they have over other schools.  How do you not see that as an advantage? 

10 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

The issue if not every public school has a program like that to attract those two players which is an advantage they have over other schools.  How do you not see that as an advantage? 

If you mean a program that the coaches work hard to promote their players and devote most of their time to make players and the team the best they can be. Also success breads success. Yes certain schools and even certain programs in a school draws athletes that are good at that sport. A perfect example right now if a player is a very good football player and prospect and lives say in Danville and parents are well off I would guess the kid will probably now go to Boyle County just as they will go to Douglass now over other city schools in Fayette Co. I would also say if a good football player with wealthy parents currently lived in Lafayette’s district the parent may very well pay the tuition and send their kid to Lex. Christian so they would have a better chance to succeed. 

• Like 1