Jump to content

Carter G. Woodson Academy & Frederick Douglass: Two Schools, One Team?


Recommended Posts

The Carter G Woodson Academy is the single biggest athletic advantage in the state. It is housed at Douglass and just makes it so much easier to get the talent in there. Jamarrion Harkless may not be in that academy but a good number of their players are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Straitshooter said:

The Carter G Woodson Academy is the single biggest athletic advantage in the state.  It is housed at Douglass and just makes it so much easier to get the talent  in there.  He may not be in that academy but a good number of their players are.

Can you explain what the Carter G Woodson Academy is?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Can you explain what the Carter G Woodson Academy is?

From their website:

 

  • Carter G. Woodson Academy provides an advanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the new common core standards through the lens of African-American history, culture, and culturally responsive teaching and learning strategies. This traditional college preparatory program, which launched in the fall of 2012, serves at-promise males in grades 6-12 who have unlimited potential.  All participants will graduate college- and career-ready.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DearToday said:

From their website:

 

  • Carter G. Woodson Academy provides an advanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the new common core standards through the lens of African-American history, culture, and culturally responsive teaching and learning strategies. This traditional college preparatory program, which launched in the fall of 2012, serves at-promise males in grades 6-12 who have unlimited potential.  All participants will graduate college- and career-ready.

So its a school inside another school and the students are allowed to participate in athletics?  I know several school districts that have alternative education programs which are for students who are behind on credits or have circumstances in their lives that a normal school schedule doesn't work for in their district but those students are not allowed to participate in sports when they enroll at those schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DearToday said:

From their website:

 

  • Carter G. Woodson Academy provides an advanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the new common core standards through the lens of African-American history, culture, and culturally responsive teaching and learning strategies. This traditional college preparatory program, which launched in the fall of 2012, serves at-promise males in grades 6-12 who have unlimited potential.  All participants will graduate college- and career-ready.

Shouldn’t all schools do this.

And by “this” I mean make kids college and career ready?

Not to step on toes but there are way too many schools that do neither and just pass kids along.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Straitshooter said:

The Carter G Woodson Academy is the single biggest athletic advantage in the state. It is housed at Douglass and just makes it so much easier to get the talent in there. Jamarrion Harkless may not be in that academy but a good number of their players are.

Be on the lookout for the newly-formed W.E.B. DuBois Academy in JCPS to become another leviathan of D1 athletic talent in Kentucky. They were formed with a similar mission statement to the Carter G. Woodson Academy mission statement, but they're a stand-alone school for grades 6-12. I fully expect to see DuBois come out of the gate running once they start competing in varsity high school sports in Kentucky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Be on the lookout for the newly-formed W.E.B. DuBois Academy in JCPS to become another leviathan of D1 athletic talent in Kentucky. They were formed with a similar mission statement to the Carter G. Woodson Academy mission statement, but they're a stand-alone school for grades 6-12. I fully expect to see DuBois come out of the gate running once they start competing in varsity high school sports in Kentucky.

They have two of the top 8th grade players in the state at their middle school. AJ Coates and Marlon Mitchell. Both are going to St. X. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 10:47 AM, zoneblitz24 said:

So its a school inside another school and the students are allowed to participate in athletics?  I know several school districts that have alternative education programs which are for students who are behind on credits or have circumstances in their lives that a normal school schedule doesn't work for in their district but those students are not allowed to participate in sports when they enroll at those schools.

So Carter G Woodson Academy is one a few special schools in Fayette County.  The school is mostly African-American males and was designed to help push those students towards heading to college after graduation.  It works similar to a normal high school but it's smaller and they have some stricter rules on dress code, behavior, etc.

It originally opened in 2012 inside an existing middle school.  At that point, any athletes there played for their home district school.  In 2017, the school was relocated to Douglass so all students at Woodson now play for Douglass.  I can't tell you who or how many athletes go to Woodson.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

So Carter G Woodson Academy is one a few special schools in Fayette County.  The school is mostly African-American males and was designed to help push those students towards heading to college after graduation.  It works similar to a normal high school but it's smaller and they have some stricter rules on dress code, behavior, etc.

It originally opened in 2012 inside an existing middle school.  At that point, any athletes there played for their home district school.  In 2017, the school was relocated to Douglass so all students at Woodson now play for Douglass.  I can't tell you who or how many athletes go to Woodson.

 

Does the school count for student enrollment for Douglass for classification purposes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2022 at 9:19 AM, Straitshooter said:

The Carter G Woodson Academy is the single biggest athletic advantage in the state. It is housed at Douglass and just makes it so much easier to get the talent in there. Jamarrion Harkless may not be in that academy but a good number of their players are.

Crazy that you say that. The single biggest athletic advantage in the state. Elaborate please. Considering the only D-1 candidates at Carter G Woodson are Ty Bryant and Caden Johnson. 

Walker Parks, Dekel Crowdus, Dane Key, Jager Burton, Devin Neal all graduated from FDHS. 

For those not aware, CGWA is a 6-12 school housed in FDHS, but is a independent school. I believe they accept 50 scholars per year into the 6th grade program. So unless you are saying the CGWA students are being recruited as potential sports phenoms as 6th graders, you are incredibly misguided with your take. 

I'd love to read your rebuttal. Interesting that you even stated that the player that this post is about, isn't enrolled in CGWA. For that matter, feel free to support your take by naming any of the FDHS  "a good number of their players are" that attend Carter G. Baseball, basketball, golf, archery? Throw some names at us! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Does the school count for student enrollment for Douglass for classification purposes?

I would assume that it would but I don't know that for sure.  It's probably around 150-200 males that attend Woodson at the HS level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

Does the school count for student enrollment for Douglass for classification purposes?

4 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

I would assume that it would but I don't know that for sure.  It's probably around 150-200 males that attend Woodson at the HS level.

Yes, the classification numbers for Douglass include the students at Woodson.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Crazy that you say that. The single biggest athletic advantage in the state. Elaborate please. Considering the only D-1 candidates at Carter G Woodson are Ty Bryant and Caden Johnson.

That's two more D-1 candidates than some schools have had in 20 years or in their schools history.  It sounds like a great program to have for young men if they are a athlete or not.  I tip my hat for FD getting it in their building and somehow getting KHSAA to allow students that are enrolled at a independent school to play for FD.  I would 100% use it to my advantage to if I was at FD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

That's two more D-1 candidates than some schools have had in 20 years or in their schools history.  It sounds like a great program to have for young men if they are a athlete or not.  I tip my hat for FD getting it in their building and somehow getting KHSAA to allow students that are enrolled at a independent school to play for FD.  I would 100% use it to my advantage to if I was at FD.

Very subtle, but I see the jabs you took. I'll leave it at your "tip of the hat". 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hungover_in_Andover said:

Very subtle, but I see the jabs you took. I'll leave it at your "tip of the hat". 

@zoneblitz24 may well have intended his post to take a few jabs, but I will say, I'm still left shaking my head as to how Frederick Douglass is allowed - in all sports - to have student athletes on their teams that, by your own admission, are students who are expressly attending a separate school. I know I've always wondered what the KHSAA's reasoning is for allowing students from one school to play sports for another.

You specifically pointed out that Woodson and Douglass are truly separate schools when you refuted @StraightShooter's post about the talent that Woodson allegedly brings to Douglass. You said Ty Bryant and Caden Johnson are the only D1 football athletes Woodson has produced yet, and that Walker Parks, Dekel Crowdus, Dane Key, Jager Burton, Devin Neal all graduated from Douglass and not Woodson.

So if they are TRULY different schools, as you seem to imply, then why do they get to combine student athletes for their sports teams?

Surely it isn't simply because one school offers sports and the other doesn't. That is not an exception allowed by the KHSAA bylaws. Even with the two schools being in the same school district, that's not something the KHSAA has ever given precedent to.

Case in point, Brown High School is a JCPS school, and it doesn't have football. Brown students aren't allowed to play on football teams at other schools within the school district just because their school doesn't have a team. Villa Madonna, St. Henry, and Covington Latin are all without football teams...but their students aren't allowed to head elsewhere in the Diocese of Covington school district to play.

Do you not see where a lot of people are left scratching their heads as to why Woodson students are permitted by the KHSAA to play sports at another school while that same permission isn't granted elsewhere?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.