Officiating shortage solution thesis

"Easy" first steps.

1. Schools communicate clearly to coaches, players and fans that it is a new world. Verbal attacks on officials are no longer tolerated.

2. Schools enforce fan behavior guidelines. Have a designated school representative who monitors fan behavior at every game and let the officials know who they can go to if a fan is out of line.

3. Post a sign in every gym that verbal attacks on officials are grounds for ejection.

4. Beef up the pre game KHSAA sportsmanship announcement to make it clear verbal attacks on officials are grounds for ejection.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

My follow up question:

How much $$$ you want to get paid to deal with that behavior????

No amount of money is worth that, I would be just fine slinging packages at Amazon or cleaning bathrooms if I needed the money. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

"Easy" first steps.

1. Schools communicate clearly to coaches, players and fans that it is a new world. Verbal attacks on officials are no longer tolerated.

2. Schools enforce fan behavior guidelines. Have a designated school representative who monitors fan behavior at every game and let the officials know who they can go to if a fan is out of line.

3. Post a sign in every gym that verbal attacks on officials are grounds for ejection.

4. Beef up the pre game KHSAA sportsmanship announcement to make it clear verbal attacks on officials are grounds for ejection.

Love it. These are easy and can be implemented immediately. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hip-Hop Box said:

I don't know about a couple of those... I've been in a few and if a fan wanted to reach out and get you they could.

Bottom line is it’s not a perfect thing officiating high school athletic events so not a job for the weak hearted.

In our town they just hired a coach at  a middle school that hit an official after a game he won!!!!  School in our area also allows felons to coach often. AAU teams in our area have people coaching who cant even drive, or have custody of their own children. Club sports on the rise..... tournaments pop up over night ran or hosted by lord only knows who, trainers and handlers out here at every turn..... Place give  exceptions to every rule these days... to me that has changed the culture in sports. Schools, administrators,  and coaches normally have to answer for actions.. but the culture that is breeding from  bottom up in club sports is crazy. Official abuse is just part of the bi-product.

• Confused 1

A lot of the outrage sometimes I think comes from officials not being held very accountable for questionable or wrong calls that have a complete effect on the outcome of the game. Don't get me wrong, physical harm, personal attacks, name calling, etc. should never be tolerated. But I have seen some bad officiating and calls over the years and there is never an answer as to why.

4 minutes ago, FLYGUY said:

In our town they just hired a coach at  a middle school that hit an official after a game he won!!!!  School in our area also allows felons to coach often. AAU teams in our area have people coaching who cant even drive, or have custody of their own children. Club sports on the rise..... tournaments pop up over night ran or hosted by lord only knows who, trainers and handlers out here at every turn..... Place give  exceptions to every rule these days... to me that has changed the culture in sports. Schools, administrators,  and coaches normally have to answer for actions.. but the culture that is breeding from  bottom up in club sports is crazy. Official abuse is just part of the bi-product.

Right, we are seeing a systematic failure leading to almost anything goes.

I used to think we were on a slow slide down but it appears to be a pretty quick slide down. 

• Like 1

Just now, EagleRare20 said:

A lot of the outrage sometimes I think comes from officials not being held very accountable for questionable or wrong calls that have a complete effect on the outcome of the game. Don't get me wrong, physical harm, personal attacks, name calling, etc. should never be tolerated. But I have seen some bad officiating and calls over the years and there is never an answer as to why.

Officials and the powers that be in sports struggle to be consistent and get calls right even with the use of replay.  In other words, bad calls are a part of the game, especially in lower levels, and it should never be a basis/excuse for bad behavior. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Officials and the powers that be in sports struggle to be consistent and get calls right even with the use of replay.  In other words, bad calls are a part of the game, especially in lower levels, and it should never be a basis/excuse for bad behavior. 

I agree, I was simply saying I think that is where a lot of frustration comes from. Not condoning the behavior. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EagleRare20 said:

YES! very tough, also some officials incite some behavior, I have two in particular I have seen over the years that are very bad about this.. They continue to find plenty of work. 

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Couldn't agree more. As officials we already have to have a tough skin, having the coach in your ear yelling cause you missed a call out of your area is so common in HS...