Officiating shortage solution thesis

I might start rambling and if so excuse me please. 

The Starbucks analogy isn’t realistic. Schools just finding money isn’t realistic. If someone thinks it is I’ll set up a meeting for you too see how much you can get achieved. Some are not truly aware of how the other half lives. 

I’m a pretty laid back guy when it comes to officials. I don’t want their job and I know it’s difficult. If I don’t agree with a call I ask for an explanation. I’ll ask which official is responsible for a call. I’ll ask them to watch for something. If I ask and it keeps happening then I might be a little more vocal. Never cuss or chew anyone out. 

I know the rules pretty well. If I feel if a rule is not being applied or interpreted correctly I discuss it. I present it as I’m looking for an explanation to see if I understand the rule correctly. Sometimes it really is a penalty but someone used an incorrect term. Other times it’s something else. We had an official tell us that the laces on a football cannot have color. 

Some crews from certain associations must get abused by other teams. They are more defensive and have a different overall attitude. You expect crews from different areas to be slightly different personalities. I had a crew for an earlier game this season and the first thing I did was let the head of their association know how good they were and how much I enjoyed them. I had the same white hat latter and it was the same message. We lost both games but I’d take that crew every Friday. 

I truly respect officials and we couldn’t have the game without them. If people have an issue then pick up a whistle. I hope we can find a way to increase the numbers and help them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barrel said:

They were in fact team issue dual threat footballs which we’ve used for three out of the last four seasons. Great product. 

I grew up loving the Wilson TD and that was THE football on Friday night. But , I agree with you… our QB’s loved the Dual Threat football. And, the Team Issue / Big Game footballs are durable.  They also make the Nike football used by many collegiate programs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hip-Hop Box said:

Which school is this..?

I don't know where Barrel is located, but we have used them at Mercer County for the past three years. Pikeville and Mason County also use them. 

If your school wants to purchase them, send me a message and we will get them to you. 

9 hours ago, Hip-Hop Box said:

Which school is this..?

Grant and Mason both use them. For 90.00 you get a custom imprint, laces and your choice of three different models. The dual threats while still legal are built on the smaller end of the specs for a legal football. 

On 2/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, FrankNicodemus said:

Exactly, its a shame that officials are the ONLY people in the game that has to be 100% perfect in what they do.  Players can fail (throw an interception, miss a basket, make a turnover), Coaches can fail (call the wrong play, have the wrong personnel, not call a timeout when needed) BUT officials boy we have to make ALL the right calls, be in all the right places, make all the correct judgment calls.

Seems fair to me.

Players get benched and coaches can get fired. What is the consequence for an official who misinterprets rules or makes bad calls? What is their consequence?

I got my first coaching job in November of 2000. While I have gotten technical fouls before, I've never used a profane word or touched an official. I would never condone it, but I have seen officials continue to perform poorly and never have a consequence.

31 minutes ago, PP1 said:

Players get benched and coaches can get fired. What is the consequence for an official who misinterprets rules or makes bad calls? What is their consequence?

I got my first coaching job in November of 2000. While I have gotten technical fouls before, I've never used a profane word or touched an official. I would never condone it, but I have seen officials continue to perform poorly and never have a consequence.

Why can teams bench players?  Why can coaches get fired?  

Answer:  Because there are other people that can step in to play or coach.  

The problem with the Ref scenario is there isn't a supply of Refs to replace the so called "bad ones".  That's the whole purpose on how we can we solve the Ref shortage.....

We increase the supply of Refs, then these "bad" refs won't find assignments.  Just like I stated in my original thesis post, there is a reason why the SAME refs are showing up for the "Prime Time" competitions.  Wouldn't it be great if the supply of good ones are plentiful so then maybe your "undercard" games aren't being reffed by potentially the refs that in your words not mine "perform poorly".

Unless, unfortunately if the Ref association is run by the "good old boy" criteria you will have consequences with the poorly performing refs, they just won't get assigned games or they will just be doing the games that have no significance in the grand scheme of High School athletics.