Officiating shortage solution thesis

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I understand. If we are looking for immediate solutions, I think increasing prices to pay for officials is bad timing with attendance down. Just pay the officials more. 

I agree, just pay them more. I think most assume schools will push back on that, so brainstorming ways to get it done seems fair. 

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

I believe there is opportunity in recent grads. Recruit athletes to become officials, make some side money in a sport they played and enjoy. 

This is what I'm trying to do. It is not a fix for the right now obviously, but if I can get some quality kids interested in officiating to stay in the game, maybe some will eventually become quality officials on Friday nights.

Young adults, however, have other priorities on Friday nights.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe there is opportunity in recent grads. Recruit athletes to become officials, make some side money in a sport they played and enjoy. 

To piggy back off this idea, it would be awesome if colleges/universities offered officiating classes as an elective. Go through the NFHS rule books, focus on technique, rotations, assignments, etc. Then have a tie in to the local association to get new officials started. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I agree, just pay them more. I think most assume schools will push back on that, so brainstorming ways to get it done seems fair. 

I don't think athletic directors will push back. If it will help with the officials shortage, the AD's will be all in. This shortage is a big pain to them.

This is in the other thread and I think it should be here too.  If anyone has any links to any specific officiating associations in Kentucky where you can sign up to officiate please post them in this thread.

Officiating Information from the KHSAA:

FOOTBALL ASSIGNING SECRETARIES
Listed below are the current Football Assigning Secretaries, along with the Policy Board who has selected this assigner, and the counties that are represented by that specific Policy Board. Note that some counties may be in more than one region. Please also note that specific schools may choose any independent contracting assigner from this list to perform those services for that school. There are some regional policy boards who do not employ an assigner, and utilize the services of an assigner in an adjacent region.

1st Region- Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, McCracken

Joe Lewis
3815 Primrose Place
Paducah, KY 42001
270-442-2883 (H)    lewis5130@bellsouth.net    270-556-5737

2nd Region- Caldwell, Christian, Crittenden, Henderson, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, Trigg, Union, Webster

Jay Davis
901 Turnbury Drive
Princeton, KY 42445
270-601-3733 (W)    jwdavis80@bellsouth.net    270-836-0449

3rd Region- Breckinridge, Butler, Daviess, Edmonson, Grayson, Hancock, McLean, Meade, Muhlenberg, Ohio

Brad Phipps
307 Wheeler Ave.
Greenville, KY 42345
270-338-0040- (W)    brad.phipps72@yahoo.com    270-543-3360

4th Region- Allen, Barren, Clinton, Cumberland, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, Russell, Simpson, Todd, Warren

Harold (Kris) Fields
233 Freestone Court
Bowling Green, KY 42103
270-784-3483- (W)    kris.fields44@gmail.com    502-263-3278

5th Region- Adair, Green, Hardin, Hart, Larue, Marion, Nelson, Taylor, Washington

Andy Strain
102 Daffodil Ct.
Radcliff, KY 40160
270-351-1323- (W)
270-351-7375 (H)    astrain102@gmail.com    270-272-3205

6th / 7th Region- Bullitt, Jefferson

Don Hudson
1311 Amy Aves
Sellersburg, IN 47172
502-210-3609 - (W)    dhudsonjr11@gmail.com    502-210-3609

8th Region- Anderson, Boone, Carroll, Gallatin, Grant, Henry, Kenton, Oldham, Owen, Shelby, Spencer, Trimble, Woodford    Shares services with adjacent regions

9th Region- Boone, Campbell, Kenton

Steve Fromeyer
60 16th St.
Newport, KY 41071
859-743-5789 (C)    steve.fromeyer@gmail.com    859-743-5789

10th /11th Region- Bourbon, Bracken, Campbell, Clark, Fayette, Franklin, Harrison, Kenton, Madison, Mason, Montgomery, Nicholas, Pendleton, Robertson, Scott

Keith Morgan
112 West Laurel Road
London, KY 40741
606-864-8203  (H)    ckfoa.assignor@gmail.com    606-231-6405

12th Region- Boyle, Casey, Garrard, Jessamine, Lincoln, McCreary, Mercer, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Wayne

Kevin Dalton
363 Planters Way
Somerset, KY 42503
606-678-4956- (W)
606-678-9142 (H)    kdumpire@yahoo.com    606-875-4236

13th Region- Bell, Clay, Harlan, Jackson, Knox, Laurel, Whitley

Joseph Michael Black
23 Leatherwood Drive
London, KY 40741
606-862-4699- (W)
606-878-2601 (H)    jmblack6001@gmail.com    606-682-4246

14th Region- Breathitt, Estill, Knott, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Owsley, Perry, Powell, Wolfe

Kyle Maggard
412 Napier Branch Rd
Hazard, KY 41701
606-487-0744- (W)    kylemaggard35@gmail.com    606-309-0624

15th Region- Floyd, Johnson, Lawrence, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Pike

Kevin Garris
1492 Broad Bottom Rd.
Pikeville, KY 41501
606-432-0185- (W)
606-437-9972 (H)    applewood1@mikrotec.com    606-422-6565

16th Region- Bath, Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Greenup, Lewis, Menifee, Morgan, Rowan

Brian Taylor
206 Belleview Dr.
Russell, KY 41169
606-465-2906    brianltaylor@roadrunner.com

https://khsaa.org/officials/officiating-information/

For Northern Kentucky:

https://nkoafootball.com/

The Northern Kentucky Officials Association (NKOA) is always looking for men and women who share a passion for the game of football who have a desire to get in the game!

The NKOA was founded in 1967 and has over 1,000 years of combined officiating experience. We provide referees for 30 member schools from the Varsity to Middle school levels, as well as, various league and youth activities.

Email Us
More questions?

NKOAFOOTBALL@GMAIL.COM

44 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Again, it's about priorities. I understand everyone is in a different financial situation, but people prioritize what they want to do. High school sports is no different. 

People can't complain about the quality of officiating if they aren't willing to do what it takes (in this hypothetical case, pay more to attend games) to help fix the issues. 

I don't completely disagree about priorities. But priorities change based on economics and ultimately price. Everyone has a limit on what they are willing pay for anything, whether it's a high school sporting event or like was mentioned before, coffee. And just following basic economic principle, every change in price has a corresponding change in demand with any item that is elastic in price until equilibrium is met. If the market is already at equilibrium, a raise in price won't mean an increase in total revenue. Higher prices only result in higher revenue if the current demand isn't being met at the existing price. 95% (or more) of high school aren't selling out now. So the situation doesn't exist for a raise in price to result in a rise in revenue. In other words, raising the price will lead to even lower attendance and probably less total revenue to pay officials. 

36 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I understand. If we are looking for immediate solutions, I think increasing prices to pay for officials is bad timing with attendance down. Just pay the officials more. 

Realistically, this in the only option. But even this only fixes part of the problem.

What do football officials typically get paid? I work as track official for USA T&F and each indoor meet I have worked, I have been paid 100.00. I think 100.00 for football official would be fair for 3 hour game. They especially should get paid more for big games like St. X, Male, and Trinity games where stadium is packed. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

What do football officials typically get paid? I work as track official for USA T&F and each indoor meet I have worked, I have been paid 100.00. I think 100.00 for football official would be fair for 3 hour game. They especially should get paid more for big games like St. X, Male, and Trinity games where stadium is packed. 

$65 per contest for a 5 man crew during the regular season, $60 per contest for 7 man crews. This does bump up to $100 (and higher) for the playoffs.

Here is the breakdown per sport.

https://khsaa.org/common_documents/officials/20192020/officialsfees.pdf

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

5 man crew was $90 after sept we got a $5 raise.

7 man crew was $75 after sept was $5 raise. This is per CKYFOA.

You have to arrive hr and a half before kickoff to pregame, You normally work your regular 9-5 and then go ref, you don't get home till 11:30-midnight on Fridays.

• Thanks 2