Annual Shot Clock Discussion

On 1/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

I think I'm in agreement with you. If a shot clock was added, I wouldn't complain. But I feel like the two arguments most often presented are:

• Avoid slow down games/possessions: I don't see this happen too often in the season; sometimes during the postseason. I think we give way too much credit to high school kids' ability to run time off the clock. I can only think of one local team that does this with any regularity.
  • Prepare kids for college basketball: First, very few players have the skill set and/or athleticism to play at any higher level (D1-NAIA). Forcing all kids to play at a certain level in order to prepare a handful for college seems disingenuous, especially since the college-level kids spend the entire summer on the AAU circuit where college coaches are actually recruiting.

Add in the extended cost of installing and maintaining two shot clocks, hiring and/or getting a volunteer to run the clock for boys and girls varsity, junior varsity, and freshmen games that is both willing to do it and understands the rules for a shot clock is a tall task for administrators who quite often lack both the resources and man-power.

They have it in college basketball and that's fine. They also have money, television to sell, and a full roster of players who were recruited and chose to play the sport. Why can't high school basketball be for kids to play ball, enjoy themselves, improve their skills and health, and if they're lucky get a chance at playing in college? Why do we have to professionalize every sport at the lowest levels?

One thousand percent on the final point. Do we really need 60 minute high school football games?

I would be pro shot clock, but mostly to make the end of games more exciting, it sucks to watch a team try and run the clock out with like 2 minutes left up 4. I get the argument of “play better pressure defense” but at that point the game isn’t basketball anymore, it is just keep away. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

No way, how many HS kids actually advance to the next level

Why hold those players back because they are actually going to play at the next level? And more kids are playing some type of next level hoops than ever before.

The reliable game day staff and the cost is the biggest issue for me. Some schools are barely covering expenses for sports as is. I understand the cost is probably a one-time up front cost and then just replacing after however many years but that could be a significant cost that some schools, especially those smaller and in rural areas just couldn't handle.

And game day staff is a biggie. I almost think you'd need to certify clock keepers so that they at least have an understanding of the rules for the shot clock. If you have to certify them, does that just become another game official that is assigned and paid? 

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

I really wonder if everyone that is pro clock ever attends any HS games.  I bet I haven't saw a stall ball type game in years, and I attend a bunch.

At a lot of games there might only be 110 people in the stands .

I’ve probably only attended approximately 500 high school basketball games in my life. And still in favor of the shot clock, so your erradicated theory doesn’t work here!

5 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

No, that’s early, I’m talking about high school level.

What about getting those elementary kids ready for high school? 😇 

Just having some fun.

I am in favor of a high school shot clock but I want a 40 or 45 second clock. I only want to minimize stall ball.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I really wonder if everyone that is pro clock ever attends any HS games.  I bet I haven't saw a stall ball type game in years, and I attend a bunch.

At a lot of games there might only be 110 people in the stands .

With a shot clock, it would limit a coach's options.  I'm not talking stall but slowing the game down can definitely keep a less talented team close enough to have a chance to win.

• Sad 1