Annual Shot Clock Discussion

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

35 seconds is a little shorter than I would prefer. I would like 40 or 45 seconds with no resets. 

I’m not sure that a 45 second shot clock would change the game all that much, or eliminate stall ball. Very few teams can effectively play stall ball now, and the ones that can could still run over 1/4 of a quarter down in just three possessions with a 45 second clock. I’m not in favor of a shot clock, but if your going to have one, it might as well make a difference. I just don’t think 45 seconds accomplishes much of anything.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’m not sure that a 45 second shot clock would change the game all that much, or eliminate stall ball. Very few teams can effectively play stall ball now, and the ones that can could still run over 1/4 of a quarter down in just three possessions with a 45 second clock. I’m not in favor of a shot clock, but if your going to have one, it might as well make a difference. I just don’t think 45 seconds accomplishes much of anything.

My goal is to eliminate stall ball with as little change to the game as possible beyond that. 

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

My goal is to eliminate stall ball with as little change to the game as possible beyond that. 

Tell the defense to pressure the ball and get in the passing lane. When the offensive player tries to go back door, then open up and slide. 

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I understand. And I agree it wouldn’t change the game that much. I just don’t think a 45 second clock eliminates stall ball.  And if that’s the case, what’s the point. You can’t eliminate stall ball without having a shot clock that doesn’t change the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanvilleFan said:

I'm not opposed to the idea, but as I noted earlier in this thread the big issue for schools is getting personnel to run the clock and do it well.

Take the third ref off the floor and let him/her run shot clock.

No additional funds needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:06 PM, PP1 said:

Tell the defense to pressure the ball and get in the passing lane. When the offensive player tries to go back door, then open up and slide. 

You make valid points. 

But let’s look at this way; let’s make the team with the ball actually execute a play to score rather than them just playing keep away from the other team. I think you’ll find more true basketball fans would rather agree with this point of view.